Ever make your own? Show us!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just made aware of knifekits.com .. seems like it would be fun to make a fixed blade fighter and your own sheaths. Has anyone built one on a kit from them?

***i originally posted this from my phone but just saw all those up there on my computer.. very nice knives robtattoo! the Irish one is my favorite.

Edited by durtyzulu
  • 4 months later...
Gregintenn is it good steel?

IMG_1720.jpg

UPDATE:

I've field dressed 5 deer with it this season, and skinned and deboned three of them. I've only lightly touched it up on a stone a couple of times, and it'll still shave my arm. I am pleased with the quality of the steel. I'll probably order another one before winter's over and try some bone or stag handles, and perhaps some liners as well. I'd recommend the kit. I'd also like to see anything else you guys have been working on.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I decided to try to make a knife from a old file when I was about 12 or 13. After heating it cherry red it slipped out of the pliers I was holding it with. Blessed with better reflexes than smarts I caught the file in my bare hand. That was my last interest in knife making.

Glenn

I particularly like this style of knive where the belly is lower than your hand so you can do work on surfaces without your knuckles getting in the way or in the material being cut or for scraping. This top pictured knife and the 3rd one in the group picture are my favorites.

NIGE001.jpg

BusyWeek.jpg

It's actually not too bad. When you make them, you have to add carbon to the blade. I don't ever actually use it, but keep it as a novelty. It's razor sharp and from what I can tell about others that were made like it, they are a reasonably serviceable knife. It's not intended as a hard use knife at all, but if someone wanted to use it for some basic everyday stuff, it would be fine.

I have seen several of these over the decades north of Nashville all the way up to Bowling Green. Not much elsewhere...wonder if it is a regional thing? Many of the ones I handled were actually pretty sharp.

A good guy said, "David...come with me." Off we went. We took this little windey road up into the Crow Reservation and pulled off on a flat where there used to be a sawmill. Scattered down the slope were dozens of five and six foot circular sawmill blades. "This place closed up in the '30's and these blades have been here since then. Can you use them?"

Holy cow....I would have passed out from excitement like a teenage girl at a Beatles concert.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest WhiskeySix

Here's one I finished two weeks ago. I have more recent ones but they aren't loaded into photobucket.

7 1/2" classic fighter. Hollow ground blade of O-1 tool steel mirror polished, sharpened top edge.

Nickel silver guard and semi-subhilt.

Nickel silver, brass, and black fiber spacers.

Super heavy duty 304 stainless butt cap.

Stabilized maple burl handle sections. Hidden tang construction.

Handmade, tooled leather sheath.

Completely freehand, no two exactly alike. This is the kind of knife I like to own and I get a big kick out of making them. I need to keep more of them for my own collection.

DSC00919.jpgDSC00917.jpg

Edited by WhiskeySix
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest alloyguitar

6860924078_ce10902d4c_c.jpg

I made a thread for it, but I suppose I'll post it here, too. This was my first attempt. I was using them as a project to teach a buddy how to use some tools in my shop.

• 1 month later...

Me and my dad do quiet a bit of forging when winter settles in. Heres a few we have made together

Heres on we did from a railroad spike two years ago when I was on leave

leavedec17th-jan6th060-1.jpg

And heres a large fighting style knife we made last year

Combatopsandknife006-1.jpg

Me working a piece of style on the anvil, staged for the pic, you can see the steel has cooled off to much

leavedec17th-jan6th002.jpg

My old man heating a piece, note the high flames. It was around 5 degrees that day, so we had the fire flaming more than normal for warmth

leavedec17th-jan6th004.jpg

Heres a video of my dad working one out

• 1 month later...
Guest Broomhead

Just finished this today.

Steel: Lawn mower blade that I heat treated as 1095 with multiple oil quenches. With a vinegar forced patina.

OAL: Just under 6".

Blade: 2.75"

Scales: Scrap Aspen that was in the shed. Dyed with RIT dye and hand finished with Armorall/Tru-Oil mixture.

Pin/Thong hole: 5/32" copper wire and 3/8" copper water tubing.

IMG_0018.jpg

th_IMG_0010-2.jpg

th_IMG_0008-2.jpg

th_IMG_0007-1.jpg

Critiques? I'm thick skinned and I need to learn.

My second is coming along nicely...

th_IMG_0014-1.jpg

th_IMG_0013-1.jpg

Edited by Broomhead