what is your home defense kit...?

Guest 44M

Guest tkemo648

These are parts of my HD arsenal:

My trusty 870 Express I've had since a teenager, with a few factory parts for modification.

IMAG0029.jpg

My Ruger 10/22 (circa 1996) with some after market modifications.

IMAG0033.jpg

My Rock Island Armory 1911 Tactical in .45ACP

IMAG0037.jpg

And last but not least is my Airweight S&W given to me by my grandfather. Best I can tell it is a late 50's early 60's gun.

IMAG0165.jpg

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes it does have stiff recoil but it's not unbearable. +P rounds are much worse than standard loads as you would expect. I would personally not want to shoot the gun with wooden grips on it. I find the rubber grips to be very comfortable and help soak up some of the felt recoil. YMMV

ok, makes sense, I'll stick with Hogue's and see how it works out for me...I had this LCR in my pocket the whole day and it looks like it's not going to be any issues with the grips..so far...I believe wooden grip would be little easier to carry but than again, recoil woud be probably much stronger than with a Hogue...

@tkemo648 ...nice guns..that little Smith is very nice... thanks fro the pictures..

Db

Edited by 44M
Guest bkelm18
I maybe wrong, but I don't think there is any federal paperwork needed for the purchase of the silencer.

Db

Yes, you're wrong. :) The acquisition of a suppressor without the proper federal paperwork is grossly illegal and a sure fire way to get acquainted with Bubba, your new cell mate. :lol:

Thanks a lot Stewie, I just knew someone was going to say a license is needed to own a silencer. Wrong! The feds do not require a permit or license to merely own, buy, sell, or make a silencer. 38 states also allow unlicensed persons to own silencers. All the feds require is that the tax stamp application be submited and the tax paid. The applications are routinely approved for anyone who fills out the forms properly.

Source(s):

I design and make silencers on ATF form 1's.

this is what I found about license for silencer... and that's from the person who actually makes silencers.... would you think he doesn't know what he's talking about?

Db

Edited by 44M
There are no federal laws prohibiting civilian silencer ownership. You do not need a license or permit to own a silencer. 35 states allow civilians to own silencers.

Tennessee passed a law several years ago that requires your local sheriff to sign any ATF form that is presented to him/her to allow a person in their jurisdiction to make or buy a silencer or any other legal NFA weapon (machineguns, short barrel shotguns) as long as that person is legally allowed to own a firearm in the state.

another one...

Db

As a Tennessee resident, you are one of the lucky ones. Not only does TN allow silencer ownership, but state law requires that the local sheriff signs the back of the form as required by the ATF as long as the person presenting it is allowed to own firearms. TN residents have it made. The biggest obstacle to owning a silencer is the sheriff sign off.

If you want to buy one, find a dealer in your state and they will help you with the paperwork. If you want to make one, then you just send in the ATF form along with the required fingerprint cards, passport photos and $200 check. Approval is routine, I have never heard of a person getting denied as long as the paperwork submitted correctly.

and another one...

Db

(7) Involved acquisition or possession of a sawed-off shotgun, sawed-off rifle, machine gun or firearm silencer which is validly registered to the person under federal law in the National Firearms Registration and Transfer Records. A person who acquires or possesses a firearm registered as required by this subdivision shall retain proof of registration

TENN.CODE 39-17-1302. Prohibited weapons

Db

it seems to be too much of a headache to get one, but not any more than getting a licence for a full auto assault rifle... I think I'll pass on that (specially since I don't have $700 laying around to burn)...

Db

what is that you know? did you read all the responses where people are telling me it's illegal to own a silencer..? or what..? you seem to be the only one who didn't actaully read what people had to say before you posted your response...if you are so smart, why don't you try to explain it to us, why are you waiting on me to do all the research and than post your smarta$$ comment :)....LOL

Db

Edited by 44M
this is what I found about license for silencer... and that's from the person who actually makes silencers.... would you think he doesn't know what he's talking about?

Db

You seem to want to argue a point that isn't in contention...no one, at least no one in this thread that I'm aware of, used the word "license"...the phrase used was "federal paperwork" and if you don't have it, you are in big trouble. :)

You seem to want to argue a point that isn't in contention...no one, at least no one in this thread that I'm aware of, used the word "license"...the phrase used was "federal paperwork" and if you don't have it, you are in big trouble. :lol:

oh, I'm so sorry about this confusion...it's all better now...but you see, the whole point was to figure out is it illegal or not, with or without "licence" or "federal paperwork" ...:)

Db

and I'm not arguing any points, I'm just trying to figure out is it legal or ilegal, thats all... and the thing is that many people think it is complitly ilegal, while in reality, it's not.... thank you for your help tho...

Edited by 44M

and to get back on track, I personaly don't care about silencers, it was just a tought, that maybe would be a good idea for a home defense weapons, thats all... but after little research I figured it would be too much of a headache and too expensive for me at this point...

Db

You can own a silencer. you DO NOT need a license or permit. But you do have to fill out federal forms and send them in along with $200 to get the Tax stamp.

The Tax stamp is what is legally required for ownership

You can own a silencer. you DO NOT need a license or permit. But you do have to fill out federal forms and send them in along with $200 to get the Tax stamp.

thank you, now that is the answer I was looking for, short and to the point, hope this helps to other guys who maybe wanted to purchase a silencer but didn't do so thinking it is ilegal....thanks

Db

And that stamp is only good for one NFA item. A single stamp does not permit ownership of multiple NFA items. Each NFA item must have its own approved stamp before owning the NFA item. The tax stamp is not a license but a tax levied by the government.

The cost of the tax stamp for a silencer is $200, same as a MG. That is whether you buy one or make one but in each case you must have the approved tax stamp in hand before making or taking possession. The cost of the tax stamp for a short barreled shotgun is $5.

It would be nice if there would be some sort of system of having a license to own several but that would eliminate the revenue generated by the government so that is likely to never happen.

As far as a headache, it is no more of a hassle than getting a passport. The biggest headache is the current, 4-6 month, wait times.

Dolomite

Guest Caveman

Can anyone sell me a silencer for 44M over hear.....:)

Seriously man, most of us know what is required (tax stamp) to own a suppressor, you seem to be misreading some posts in this thread and you are getting upset for no reason considering you made the first incorrect statement.

"I maybe wrong, but I don't think there is any federal paperwork needed for the purchase of the silencer..."

A tax stamp is federal paperwork, it's a Federal Tax Stamp.

Edited by Caveman
Guest Scramasax

Back to the question at hand. The kit really starts with the pack-seven dogs. then escalates to my wife and her "chink-chink" twelve guage 97 pump with bayonet. If all that fails... She then wakes me up in very rude way and I cann't take it out on her. So guess who's going to be the wippin' child?

All joking aside. The dogs and the wife with the trenchgun are true. I just have a sprfld trp/oprtr with laser and surefire loaded with golden sabers.

Cheers,

ts

On my side of the bed I've got my Stoeger Coach Supreme and in the nightstand safe is my XD45 and 2 mags, My wife's side of the bed is the SA Ultra Compact with 2 mags, Sig P226 with 2 mags and my Mossberg Tac Cruiser, behind the closet door is my AR-15 and 1 mag. Sitting between my couch cushion on my side of the couch is my asp. Mind you I live in a 3 story condo where the main living areas is on the 2nd and 3rd floors so I have some major choke points thanks to the stairs where I can set up shop and wait.

Anyone can purchase a silencer from a maker or another but they can not legally take possession until the stamp comes back approved. It requires no paperwork or approval to purchase a silencer but it does take the tax stamp to take possession.

I can get on the phone right now, pay for a silencer and have it shipped to a dealer before any paperwork is even started. They transfer the same way as a firearm between dealers. It is when you go to take possession that the extra paaperwork comes into play. The silencer will stay at the dealer until the paperwork is completed and the stamp comes back approved.

Dolomite

Guest Caveman
Anyone can purchase a silencer from a maker or another but they can not legally take possession until the stamp comes back approved. It requires no paperwork or approval to purchase a silencer but it does take the tax stamp to take possession.

I can get on the phone right now, pay for a silencer and have it shipped to a dealer before any paperwork is even started. They transfer the same way as a firearm between dealers. It is when you go to take possession that the extra paaperwork comes into play. The silencer will stay at the dealer until the paperwork is completed and the stamp comes back approved.

Dolomite

Why are you trying to split hairs? Taking possession of the suppressor after purchasing it is implied in the conversation, hence putting it on a home defense weapon which was how the subject was brought up in the first place. I don't even see why you posted your comment....what is your point?

Edited by Caveman