what is your home defense kit...?

Guest 44M

Not trying to split hairs, just trying to expound on the conversation. I was trying to clear up the process of getting a silencer.

Dolomite

thank you, even tho I don't plan to purchase any silencers any time soon, it is interesting to me to learn the process since I don't know anything about it...

as far as home defense goes....it seems that getting a wife would be a good idea, but then I would have to pay $200 for a silencer to silence her:drama: ...(specially when buying new guns)...LOL

Db

Edited by 44M
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thank you, even tho I don't plan to purchase any silencers any time soon, it is interesting to me to learn the process since I don't know anything about it...

as far as home defense goes....it seems that getting a wife would be a good idea, but then I would have to pay $200 for a silencer to silence her:) ...(specially when buying new guns)...LOL

Db

I do not believe ball gags fall under the NFA :)!

Dolomite

Vicious dog, Glock 36 w/CT laser guard with a XDm-40 as a back up and a Chief's Special in case my wife wants to shoot too. All my other pistols, shotguns and rifles are locked up. I don't own any tactical shotguns and the barrels of mine are very long and unwieldy in close quarters.

Guest Caveman
Not trying to split hairs, just trying to expound on the conversation. I was trying to clear up the process of getting a silencer.

Dolomite

I apologize, I misunderstood the intentions of your comment and after rereading my comment today I believe I came off with attitude that was not needed.

@caveman, we would still like to know what is your home defense set up... it seems that nice shotgun is pretty common, in my Mossberg 500 I have some Remington Managed-Recoil Buckshot, Bill from East Side Guns Shop believes that is a good choice for close distance (home) fight...he had only one box (5 rounds) left, so I'm looking to get at least one more box, looked at WalMart but they didnt have much to pick from...and no Remington MRB's at all...

Db

Guest Caveman
@caveman, we would still like to know what is your home defense set up... it seems that nice shotgun is pretty common, in my Mossberg 500 I have some Remington Managed-Recoil Buckshot, Bill from East Side Guns Shop believes that is a good choice for close distance (home) fight...he had only one box (5 rounds) left, so I'm looking to get at least one more box, looked at WalMart but they didnt have much to pick from...and no Remington MRB's at all...

Db

I posted my set-up in the first page of the thread. I use Remington HD Ultimate Home Defense loads in my Remington 887 (bedroom shotgun) Wal-Mart is not the best place for defense ammo, they are certainly good for the last minute "I forgot to get ammo" stop on the way to a meet and shoot, but I prefer gun shops for varieties of defense ammo.

I see that there is different lenght shells you can get, right now I have 2 3/4" , can I use 3" in my Mossberg? what about hollow point slugs for shotgun. whould that work for defense ammo? sorry, I don't know much about shotgun's, this is my first one I ever had...thanks

Db

Guest Caveman
I see that there is different lenght shells you can get, right now I have 2 3/4" , can I use 3" in my Mossberg? what about hollow point slugs for shotgun. whould that work for defense ammo? sorry, I don't know much about shotgun's, this is my first one I ever had...thanks

Db

Yeah, my Remy can take up to 3 1/2 " shells. I have never used hollow point slugs for home defense due to my fear of over penetration. If you shoot an intruder with a slug it could go through said target and still have enough energy to penetrate several walls in your house. On the flip side, there are loads I would stay away from for home defense due to under penetration, like birdshot, which make shallow wounds and will not penetrate far enough to reach vital organs. IMO you should stick with home defense buckshot loads.

I keep a Glock 26 in a touch-combo safe on my nightstand (Trustworthy, but young children in the house) and a Remington 870 loaded with buckshot inside the gun cabinet on the other side of the room.

I also keep one of those horribly evil 33 round mags loaded up next to the Glock..

Yeah, my Remy can take up to 3 1/2 " shells. I have never used hollow point slugs for home defense due to my fear of over penetration. If you shoot an intruder with a slug it could go through said target and still have enough energy to penetrate several walls in your house. On the flip side, there are loads I would stay away from for home defense due to under penetration, like birdshot, which make shallow wounds and will not penetrate far enough to reach vital organs. IMO you should stick with home defense buckshot loads.

thanks for the advice caveman, I'll do that...

Db

Often over looked, yet highly effective defensive measure is toys. Specially the ones my kids keep

laying around the house. Legos, match box cars, plastic army men... pretty much you name it I have

it strategically placed in my floor.

I can personally vouch for their effectiveness as I have almost killed myself trying to cross the house

in the middle of the night. And forget about not making a sound too... a well placed lego on a bare foot

and I'm ready to shout a confession that I was the gun man on the grassy knoll. :rofl:

Guest tkemo648

Did anyone see the Sons of Guns on the discovery channel last night. They built a suppressed Saiga 12. A suppressed shotgun would certainly make a great HD weapon I you have the spare change to pay for it and the time to fill out all the paperwork and get through the red tape.

Guest Defentis
since I live in Antioch area, where we get robbed and vandalized quite often, I decided to upgrade my personal "home defense kit"... I have SW99 in 9mm and last week I reinforced it with Mossberg 500A and 30-30 Marlin, how is that for some homedefense weapon of choice...? any inputs?

home-defense-kit.jpg

I also traded my S&W 642 for a Ruger LCR .38 Spec. +P , wich is my car/carry weapon

RugerLCR.jpg

revolver is so lite it's not even funny..I think ammo weighs more than a gun itself...

I got all that nice stuff at East Side gun shop on Trinity Lane, had a great time talking guns with Bill and his crew...they have great 9mm Zastava, it is a Sig copy and it feels great in hand, very solid made handgun...I might have to go back to pick it up

Db

I'm also in the Antioch area and have heard the stories about break-ins from time to time. I keep a Taurus Millennium Pro in .40 on the nightstand, the wife has her Bersa Thunder .380 on her side and the trusty Mossberg 500 beside the door. Everything else stays safe locked in the man cave, but like others have said the pups (1 Tosa Inu & 1 Red Nose Pit/Staffy mix) keep watch for us. Just wanted to throw my .02 in with everyone else. Be safe out there & stay vigilant.