Need advice on Auto-loading 12 ga shotguns

energizzzer

Need some advice on which semi-auto 12 ga shotgun to buy. Will be primarily used for home defense, but I also plan to use it for some 3-gun matches.

I'm thinking along the lines of:

1) FN SLP

2) Benelli M4

3) Mossberg 930 SPX

4) Remington 1100 Tac 4

5) Beretta Tx4 Storm

I'd like the model to have an integrated pic rail for mounting a micro red dot and also a pre-drilled receiver for a shell carrier. Thanks in advance for the feedback.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin Team

Benelli M4. Once you shoot one, you will use that as the standard by which you judge every other shotgun.

We're shooting at OnTarget down in Murfreesboro tomorrow night (Tuesday, February 1). Let me know if you want to go, and I'll bring it along so you can shoot it.

Guest smileyguy

My 930 SPX was fun to shoot, but it had reliablity problems. I deemed it unworthy for HD. I keep a good ol' fashion pump for HD. It's not on your list, but if I were to get another autoloader I would most likely get a Saiga.

Too bad us civilians can't get an AA-12!

Thanks for the feedback thus far.

MacGyver - it would be great to catch up with you and shooting the M4 would be a treat, but tomorrow won't work for me. I really appreciate the offer though. As nightrunner points out, the limited shot cap of the M4 is a negative. Can you buy an extended feed tube for the M4 to at least get cap to 6+1 w/ 2-3/4" shells?

nightrunner - prefer shoulder stock only, but pistol grip + shoulder stock is ok. Pistol grip only isn't for me.

Mac - the FN-SLP seems like an excellent choice, but what's with the heavy vs light cylinders? Most of the reading I've done has folks running the light cylinder for everything? What has your experience been?

• Admin Team

I'm running 7 in the tube, one on the elevator and one in the chamber for a grand total of nine rounds out of the gate. That's about as hi-cap as a shotgun gets without running a Saiga. Dual gas pistons really calm it down, too. I like other shotguns, but would not trade my Benelli.

Offer stands any time. You're welcome to try it out.

Benelli M4 as MacGyver said once you shoot one you wont want anything else. I had a Super Black Eagle II, and that was the sweetest shooting gun Ive ever had. I sold it to fund a pistol but thats just because it was primarily a duck gun, and in East TN we aint got many ducks ;)

I picked up a Tri-Star Viper 2G semi-auto, 20", 5+1 and have been pleased with it for $250 new. It doesn't like the bright red Winchester target loads, although it will shoot boxes upon boxes of the comparable dark red Federal target shells no problem? Anything heavier than a trap load does great and it will unload on command every time.

My brother and I disposed of a box of Remington Hyper-Steel 3in 2 shot and it absolutely loved those (shoulders didn't). 3in only allowed 4+1 though :screwy: Definitely a fun toy, but in a bad situation I could not say I would "trust" it as much or more than my Browning Gold auto or old Winchester pump.

• 2 months later...

Thought I'd post a follow-up.

I bought a FNH SLP Mark 1. Cleaned it, then proceeded to run 140 rounds through it. Not a single issue. I didn't clean it and ran another 50 rounds through it the next week. Again, flawless. I fed it Remington and Winchester birdshot, 00 buck, 00 buck 3" magnums and slugs. Fed them all flawlessly. I couldn't be happier. I highly recommend you consider one if you're looking for a shotgun.

I went with a used rem 1100. I didnt spend the $100 or so to re-stock it for a pistol grip, but with a total of about $300 in the thing I have 10 rounds, a soft as it gets recoil pad, and a easy loading device that replaced the dumb remington "press here and only here to load" button.

Oh. I see it became active for a follow up, nevermind then =)

Good luck in your competitions!

I take it you havent had an 1100? They are typically tough as nails. However, I prefer my Beretta 1201fp

Yeap got it new, 1100 CM the worst auto loading shotgun i ever had!

and nothing i have seen in a few big 3 gun matches i have done has changed my mind. in fact there are less and less Remingtons each year. Even Matt Burkett told me to trash it. after the 2 or 3 years i was squaded with him. i think the only 2 poeple i have seen shoot one with no issues was Jerry M (he shoots a mossy now) and Mike V. about 2 years ago at benning i beat Todd J. on a shotgun only stage because he was having shotgun issues.

and i am a sucky shotgun shooter.

I had been using a Rem 1100 for 3 gun. It worked fine, but reloading was a small issue. I did have to keep it lubed, wet.

I recently bought a Moss 930. This is a nice shotgun. a couple of hundred rounds down it with no issues. Except, i had the barrel threaded and the bead sight came off, but that was caused frnio the choke threading. The 930 is fast, light recoil, low maintenace and fast to reload. Today at a 3 gun match i put 2 slugs in a big jagged hole at 30 yards. The other slugs all grouped about 6 inches apart.

id say saiga 12 if you are a hands on guy and can do the work to mod it, they are brutle weapons but out of the box they suck and before you know it you will have 1500 to 2k in it but they are badass but not a hd weapon unless you need 20 rounds of buck shot to defend your home.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ccryder

I've had an S-12 for about 6 weeks and it's great fun!!!! Mine's been converted and has a Tapco collapsing stock and foregrip. A Holosite with a side mount and a vertical grip gives great ergo's. Some polishing of the bolt and hammer make it smooooth and fast! They all require some breakin but mines real reliable and too much fun, well almost. I've set up a little tactical range in the middle pasture. All the water bottles hanging from the trees are fair game at 25-30 yds.

Time2Run

Neil S.