I'm new to knives. I am looking at an SOG TAC Auto ST-04. Can I just buy one of these, stick it in my pocket and be on my way? I imagine the answer might be no. Anyone have any input on the SOG Trident assisted? I played with one of these and liked it. What would be the best tanto assisted for around $100-$150? Any info. would be great. Thanks.:surrender:

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We should probably sticky a post on TN knife laws. These seem to come up every few weeks or so.

My understanding of the law is that you cannot carry an automatic knife in TN unless you are law enforcement or military. You can carry an assisted opening knife with no problems as long as the blade is less than 4 inches.

As far as your price range, I'm not sure about the SOGs, but there are many good assisted opening knives in that price range. I know that there are both Benchmade and Zero Tolerance tantos at that price point. A good starting point is Blade HQ under the spring assisted knives section. Best of luck. Knives are a terrible addiction.

It does make you wander. You can go to most gun and knife shows and buy an auto with nothing being said about its lagality. The fact that you can buy one without any paperwork or hoops to jump through, gives you the idea that you can carry it always.:lol: I imagine a lot of people don't investigate this on the internet or check with any law enforcement. Being in the firearm and class 3 community, I learned to check out everything. So, with that being said, should I look at Boker, SOG, ect. ect.? I didn't like the gerber very much. The SOG really snapped open which I like. I've been to the Blade HQ site several times. Very nice. of course you can't touch and feel the moniter. My next trip to Knoxville, I'll pay a visit.

Edited by flyanything

If you were to carry an automatic, I think the dual action knives (D/A) would be of great interest, although just as illegal as a regular automatic. They are typically "scale release", a design I believe was perfected by Butch Vallotton. He does a lot of conversions of existing knives. I had an Emerson D/A for a while (never carried it though). A number of companies offer these. One of my favorites was Lone Wolf, who has been bought out by Benchmade. THe neat thing about D/A knives is there is no apparent opening device, other than a thumb stud or such. You can flick it open like any other folder. Usually a liner lock. Closes normally too. But push down on the scale (usually hinged in the middle of the knife) and it comes open automatically. When you close it, you'll feel some resistance as it cocks the internal spring for the next auto deployment. A very cool design.

In reference to LeasWaster's post, I picked up a Emerson Vollotton Mach 1 a couple of years ago just for the reasons he mentioned. Someone would really have to know their knives to recogize it as an aotomatic. Only problem is, I paid so much for it, I can't bring myself to carry it as an everyday working knife. I'll carry it to church & social occasions where I don't expect to use it, but otherwise I'll have my Kershaw spring assist in my pocket.

cool = yes

conveniently illegal = yes

Yes, and that is one of the reasons I traded it. Plus, it was a CQC-7 tanto, and the blade was just too thick for me. I prefer a thinner knife blade. So, I traded it to a gentleman at a show for a handmade liner lock that I do carry and use every day! I still like the D/A and may own another someday, but right now, I've got too many knives that are worth too much to carry, or are blatantly illegal to carry! I've got a Microtech Makora (double edge, out the front design) that there's now way I'd ever carry. Just can't see myself sitting on a bench out in public playing with that one! Never carried it. Should sell it and turn it into something I'll use.

Here is a video of an RJ Martin Q36, this is a very expensive custom knife, my point in posting this is to show that a knife can be built to open faster than an automatic without the use of spring assist, there are some states that are now considering outlawing spring assisted, I have some extremely fast opening automatic knives in my collection but none are as fast as this perfectly legal to carry Q36 :shrug:

Edited by willis68