Remington 1911 R1

Guest greybeard60

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Tnbusarider

I don't have one, but I was told by Rick Uselton, the owner of Useltons gun range and custom shop in Franklin,Tn, that he was one of the lead designers at Remington. I have since heard that his shop is up for sale! Don't know if this helps, but his guns have always been top notch, and the Remington 1911 should be as well!

Sam Hoster, of Complete Gun Shop here in Gallatin, the guy that built Uselton's 1911's, was the lead designer, I believe. Uselton had nothing to do with it, from what I understand. I could be wrong; I have been before... I've been married twice... :up:

Edited by Steelharp
Guest greybeard60
A buddy of mine has one and I ran 100 or so rounds through it. Nice fit and finish, accurate, and reliable. I really liked it.

Thanks. I like the idea it's all USA made.

If you'd like to see one, Nashville Sporting Arms may still have one on the shelf. I saw it a few weeks ago and agree that it has a nice fit and finish. It's a Series 80 design, but I might be able to look past that since the 1911 bug has caught me again. :dropjaw:

Uselton has some nice $900 1911s for $10,000. Then he would tell you that you could not look at them.

I agree, Uselton comes across as an arrogant gun snob to me.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest spoolie

The weapon is assembled in the US..the parts are MIM from the Philippines. There have been no new frame manufactures popped up in the US in quite a while. It's a cast 2 piece frame very similar to the frames from Metro Arms. Remington will not answer my email about where the parts are manufactured, but will tell me it is assembled in the US...that is all.

Guest spoolie

No, probably about the same weapon. I bet made in or around the same location. If you just plink with it..fine, but if you carry it, replace all the MIM parts.

Feburary 2011 AMERICAN RIFLEMAN has an article on the R1 by field editor Riley Clapp. Just a couple of quotes from that article, "It is a strong, sound M1911 pistol that was made to be used---and used hard......The receiver is an investment casting, and most of the small parts are either metal injection molded (MIM) or investment cast......seldom does a gun come along that shoots this well.....it strikes me as a very good buy." Are there guns better? Sure, but until mine buggers up, or there are a bunch of reports showing breakage, it looks like a deal right now. My guess is the price will start climbing as demand increases. Better buy it while you can.

Guest 10mm4me
Feburary 2011 AMERICAN RIFLEMAN has an article on the R1 by field editor Riley Clapp. Just a couple of quotes from that article, "It is a strong, sound M1911 pistol that was made to be used---and used hard......The receiver is an investment casting, and most of the small parts are either metal injection molded (MIM) or investment cast......seldom does a gun come along that shoots this well.....it strikes me as a very good buy." Are there guns better? Sure, but until mine buggers up, or there are a bunch of reports showing breakage, it looks like a deal right now. My guess is the price will start climbing as demand increases. Better buy it while you can.

American Rifleman is also full of Taurus advertisements. They will write anything you want if you pay them. A cast gun full of MIM parts is not meant to be used hard.

if i was going to buy a cheap 1911 for a shell, to replace just a few parts on, or just to beat up, it would be a rock island.

also i think the roll marks on the r1 look cheap/overdone/tacky, one of those three. or all of those three.

If it is done right, there isn't anything wrong with a cast frame. Caspian frames are very, very good and they are cast. There are Caspian frames out there with tens of thousands of rounds and they're still fine. The same can be said of MIM parts. I am not a big fan of MIM for critical high wear parts, those should be milled from bar stock. But a good quality MIM part is just fine for most purposes. A bad part, whether it is cast, forged, or MIM, is just a bad part.

A little research will show that most guns have MIM parts, regardless of price. I have read Kimber does. As mentioned, it is an acceptable, and some cases superior manufacturing process. At my last check, every manufacturer has a customer service/repair department; meaning every gun breaks. Opinions are a dime a dozen, fair evaluations and personal experience provide much more reliable information.

Remington R1 Review Part II-----Detail Strip

Edited by chances R
Guest massivkai

greybeard60,

I bought one. Its a great reliable, accurate gun!

I got a real good deal on it for $650 including 2 50 round cases of bullets and a nice holster. My first very own Gun.

I shot about 350 rounds in the last 2 weeks and only had 2 malfunctions in the very 50 shots. It failed to feed 100%..

Took it apart, cleaned it, lubed it etc. went back to shooting and put 300 rounds trough it without a single problem.

i def recommend the gun, my friend hast a springfield mil spec and i loved shooting it before i bought mine, now i prefer shooting mine :D

Guest greybeard60
A little research will show that most guns have MIM parts, regardless of price. I have read Kimber does. As mentioned, it is an acceptable, and some cases superior manufacturing process. At my last check, every manufacturer has a customer service/repair department; meaning every gun breaks. Opinions are a dime a dozen, fair evaluations and personal experience provide much more reliable information.

Thanks for the info. I'm having a problem finding one in stock.