Pistol Conundrum

Guest Grot

So im looking at getting my first pistol here shortly after tax time. i know about what i want but still unsure.

Im looking between a G19, a CZ-82, or a 1911 (9mm)

My price range is under 600. Preferably close to 500.

and yes i know the CZ is 9x18, not standard 9x19.

Pros, cons, opinions?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Go fondle them. Shoot them too if you can. TGO is a diverse place, so there's probably at least 10 different "favorite" 9mm's. If you listen to enough opinions, you'll probably wind up with a G19. Me... I'm an M&P guy, with my CZ P01 running a close second. Not fond of the G19 enough to buy one.

G19.

Price, reliability, availability, marketability. All excellent.

Purchase price is well within the budget you listed. You can get your money back out of a Glock if you don't overpay when you buy it. Lots of police trade-ins available on the G17 if you don't mind a larger size weapon. Magazines are plentiful and available in larger sizes. You can get one anywhere and they are the Energizer Bunny of handguns. No matter what you do to one, they just keep going and going and going..

As always, go rent at a gun range or borrow from a friend - you need to shoot every one of your selections before you buy and discover what weapon is best for you. That's the best advice I can offer.

If you do not yet have a .22 pistol, I'd spring for that first. Of course, if you get a bargain G19 or 1911 for ~$400, then you can spring for a .22 conversion kit to bring it up to $600. Unless you are being sponsored by an ammunition manufacturer or get us poor taxpayers to buy ammo for you, then you can still fire at least ten practice shots with .22 for each full-power round.

An added benefit to the .22 is that while many ranges restrict certain types of ammo, I have yet to see a range which restricts ANY type of .22 rimfire! Likewise, there are a lot more places which will let you plink with a .22 than with centerfire rounds.

What do you want it for?

Here is what I observe: the glock is very different from the other 2 guns. It has no safety nor external hammer, and has a very different look and feel, etc. Its a great choice for a carry gun, for defense, but it may not be your best choice for a range gun or for learning to shoot a pistol. The trigger pull takes some getting used to, and it will have a decent amount of kick (not really bad, but enough to make you have to aim between each shot unless you are very strong).

The CZ is a well made, cheaply priced gun that shoots cheap ammo. Its accurate and is very like a minature 1911 in terms of style and feel. Its an excellent starter pistol, but a little under powered for defense IMHO (its about like a 380, and it will do the job, but its penetration is lower than the 9mm by a fair amount). This is one of your best choices for a non .22 caliber range gun, for learning to shoot or to hone your target practice skills. It has enough kick to be interesting without being brutal.

The 1911 shoots an expensive round and will cost a bit more. They are too big to carry (FOR ME, just an opinion!) though many do carry them, and they tend to be low capacity (7-8 rounds). They are great shooters, one of the best gun designs of all time. Its a fine gun for defense if you don't mind the bulk and weight to carry it.

Personally, if you are on a budget, skip the 1911 for now, come back to this when you have $750+ to spend on gun and ammo for it. If you are looking for a weapon for defense, get the glock (but given the other 2 styles you mentioned, you might consider a DA hammer based 9mm instead of the glock??). If you want a range gun for cheap, fun shooting, get the CZ. But those are just my opinions, you may decide you like the glock on the range and the CZ for defense, and thats fine, though a bit odd ;)

What do you want it for?

Personally, if you are on a budget, skip the 1911 for now, come back to this when you have $750+ to spend on gun and ammo for it. If you are looking for a weapon for defense, get the glock (but given the other 2 styles you mentioned, you might consider a DA hammer based 9mm instead of the glock??). If you want a range gun for cheap, fun shooting, get the CZ. But those are just my opinions, you may decide you like the glock on the range and the CZ for defense, and thats fine, though a bit odd ;)

+1

I carry a 1911 .45, but my first hangun was a G19. I bought it because it was affordable at the time. I dont think you'll be disapointed with any of these, but just decide your use and as others have said, test a few out. I like my G19 but I dont shoot it much cause as Jonnin pointed out its no fun range gun, its pretty much a nightstand gun. I know it will go bang when I need it the most.

+1

I carry a 1911 .45, but my first hangun was a G19. I bought it because it was affordable at the time. I dont think you'll be disapointed with any of these, but just decide your use and as others have said, test a few out. I like my G19 but I dont shoot it much cause as Jonnin pointed out its no fun range gun, its pretty much a nightstand gun. I know it will go bang when I need it the most.

Wow, I am not disputing your opinion but that is the first time that I have heard a g19 owner say that the g19 was not a good range gun.

Wow, I am not disputing your opinion but that is the first time that I have heard a g19 owner say that the g19 was not a good range gun.

I think my G19 is plenty of fun on the range. I started with it and the only problem is I just can't seem to get past Glocks. I've got four of them now and I keep thinking I should have something else to make things more interesting... If I were to buy something just to shoot I'd probably get a 9mm 1911, or a Browning Hipower etc... Since I don't get to shoot as often as I'd like, however, I try to focus on honing my defensive skills with my tool of choice and that just happens to be the Glocks. I'm of the opinion that "my gun is a defensive tool." I've chosen Glocks, but I'm sure their are other great guns out there. I'd probably get at least 3 Smith and Wesson M&Ps if I got rid of the Glocks. I'd have to have a full-size, a compact, and the .22LR version.

Second time =)

I have one, a 19C that was ported, and its still sorry excuse for a target pistol (this is not to say it is not fun, thats not related, its plenty of fun for rapid fire, noise making, defensive rang time, etc.). Its accurate enough, but the funny grip angle and obnoxious trigger pull make it less than desirable for target shooting. I also have a CZ82. And a different model 1911, but one is much like another on the cheaper side of those.

Yeah I guess its just preference, but when I go to the range its the last gun I take. I shoot it enough to stay proficient for defense purposes, but just dont love shooting it. it probably has more to do with the DAO trigger wieght and such. The gun is a great shooter, just not my preference.

Guest GLOCKGUY

Go with the Glock. Glocks are easy to work on and you can get parts cheap and the parts are easy to come by. Glock has one of the best customer service in the industry.

I think my G19 is plenty of fun on the range. I started with it and the only problem is I just can't seem to get past Glocks. I've got four of them now and I keep thinking I should have something else to make things more interesting... If I were to buy something just to shoot I'd probably get a 9mm 1911, or a Browning Hipower etc... Since I don't get to shoot as often as I'd like, however, I try to focus on honing my defensive skills with my tool of choice and that just happens to be the Glocks. I'm of the opinion that "my gun is a defensive tool." I've chosen Glocks, but I'm sure their are other great guns out there. I'd probably get at least 3 Smith and Wesson M&Ps if I got rid of the Glocks. I'd have to have a full-size, a compact, and the .22LR version.

I agree. I also own several Glocks. I am fighting the urge to purchase a G21sf as we speak. I have the M&P9mm and would love to have .22 LR version.

I've just come back to Glock after 15 years. My vote is for the G19, as I believe it's probably the best mix of value/size/caliber/reliability. That said, there are plenty of other guns worth your attention, but you wouldn't be choosing poorly if you chose a G19.

I'd be another vote for the g19. It just has more versatility, 9mm can be had at a decent price, and if you want to carry in the future it works well for that too. everyone else kind of summed it up, big thing is fondle them and make sure you like the grip angle etc. Just make sure you leave yourself room in the budget to buy a lot of ammo and get to the range and practice practice practice.

G19.

Price, reliability, availability, marketability. All excellent.

Purchase price is well within the budget you listed. You can get your money back out of a Glock if you don't overpay when you buy it. Lots of police trade-ins available on the G17 if you don't mind a larger size weapon. Magazines are plentiful and available in larger sizes. You can get one anywhere and they are the Energizer Bunny of handguns. No matter what you do to one, they just keep going and going and going..

As always, go rent at a gun range or borrow from a friend - you need to shoot every one of your selections before you buy and discover what weapon is best for you. That's the best advice I can offer.

This.

So im looking at getting my first pistol here shortly after tax time. i know about what i want but still unsure.

Im looking between a G19, a CZ-82, or a 1911 (9mm)

My price range is under 600. Preferably close to 500.

and yes i know the CZ is 9x18, not standard 9x19.

Pros, cons, opinions?

If your first gun has to be a 9mm, I'd go with the G19. Your first 1911 should be in .45acp, as God and JMB intended. I would not bother with a 9x18 anything.