AR, AK?

Guest Steelharp

Guest Steelharp

Ok, now that my first AR is gone, and I have time to let dust settle and ponder while I raise some loot... if you had to pick only ONE of these rifles, an AR-15 or an AK-47 to have around the house for any purpose it might be needed for, which would be the most logical choice? Easiest to care for? Accurate? Capable of getting "the job" done?

I've never owned an AK or fired one, so I have nothing to go on in that department. My AR was fired minimally, but I did enjoy it.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want to be able to hunt with it, an AK or SKS in 7.62x39 is the way to go. They can adequately do anything you might need (aside from long range work).

Since I don't intend to rely on one single platform for all uses, I prefer an AR in 5.56, supplemented by a more powerfully chambered bolt-gun... But if I was limited to one rifle, it would be an AK.

AR.

The AK's feel like junk imo.

I don't have an AK, so I have no stake in defending their 'honor'... but an AK from a quality manufaturer will not feel like "junk" (That word gets tossed around alot, here, doesn't it? :D ). I've handled low-end ARs that were pretty crappy, too...

Romanian, Yugo, etc... rifles which were pieced together from assorted surplus parts and stamped recievers DO handle pretty rough... for sure. Go look at a Vepr though, you'll notice a difference. A Vepr will cost as much as a low-end AR... but remember that the question was asked about an all-purpose rifle. The answer depends on what was meant by the question. For instance, I assume that all-purpose means something that can be used to hunt deer with, as well as be effective in combat. This requires a heavier rifle, especially when the user wants to hang a 30-40rd magazine under it loaded with 7.62.

I would go AR. The AK 7.62x39 has an effective range of around 350m. The AR (5.56 NATO or .223) is about 550m.

The AR is far more accurate than the AKs.

AKs have a reputation of near absolute reliability. AR are extremely reliable when moderately cared for. Both rounds are well understood and very lethal.

ARs come in a variety of calibers from .22 up to .50BMG. AKs come in 7.62x39 and 5.45x39.

Both have an abundance of parts and accessories on the market. I have never cleaned an AK but an AR breaks down in 3 seconds without tools. I can't imagine an AK being difficult.

AK are usually made of machined and stamped steel and wood. ARs are aluminum, steel and plastic. There is a definite weight advantage to the AR.

Guest Steelharp
7.62x39 and 5.45x39

Now, I get to show my ignorance. I have seen these numbers on all the boards, but I've never coughed up my lack of understanding of them. Since we're a bunch of local guys... help me? How do these relate to, like, 30-06 and .308? I know 5.56 converts to .223, but what ammo would correlate with the other numbers?

Guest Ghostrider

I got a pair of cheap SKS(s) that fire 7.62 x 39.

They are cheap.

They are very nearly unbreakable.

They are heavier than I like.

With a few minor mods you can hand a big mag under them or use the strippers for 10 rounds at a time.

My eyes won't let me make shots like I used to, so anything over about 200 meters is perfectly safe no matter what I'm shooting. :D

A lot of it depends on what might be found (ammo wise) lying around on the ground if we get into a significant urination fest in this country (or where ever you may be).

Since 3/4 of the world uses cheap, old AKs and SKs (7.62 x 39) I thought it most likely that the bad guys would be using that caliber. I'd much rather take ammo off a dead enemy...

But that's just my way of thinking...

The ruskie calibers 7.62x39 and 5.45x39 use the same parent case, the 5.45x39 is necked further down onto a .21 caliber bullet.

.308 NATO is 7.62x51mm

.30-30 Win is 7.62x51R (rimmed, totally different case and pressure-rating than .308 Win)

Mosin-Nagants, SVDs and Drugnovs use 7.62x54R (rimmed)

.30-06 is 7.62x63mm (larger case than .308, but lower pressure)

So, 7.62x39mm is a small case-capacity rifle cartridge, compared to most conventional .30 caliber applications. This was done to allow the cartridge to operate in a short-action autoloading action.

7.63x39 is similar to a 30/30 but lighter. .30 cal bullet with a short case. Way less powerful than a .308.

5.56 is a hot .223. A 5.56 rifle will accept and shoot .223 fine. You should not shoot 5.56 in a .223 rifle due to the higher pressure. Most ARs are 5.56. Very high velocity round.

5.45 is what the Russians came up with when we switched to the M16 platform. It is very similar to .223/5.56

Well, my personal opinion is buy one of both. That is my intention. Money being tight I picked up a WASR-1 just recently for about $400 with the 500 rounds of ammo for it. Ammo for the AK's is relatively cheap but supply is growing slim. I plan on blowing through a couple hundred rounds and leaving the other 300 for SHTF scenario's. As I come across more, I will purchase it and shoot the older stuff.

I plan on purchasing an AR in the near future. Might not get the Kel-Tec this year in favor of holding off for the AR for Christmas. Who knows. When that time comes I am sure I will be asking a ton of questions similar to yours.

Guest RobTN

Both are fine rifles and an example of both reside in my gun safe, but if I could only have one, I would get the AK for half the price of the AR and spend the rest on ammo.

i have both and i love to just go out and shoot the ak. the ar is a lot more accurate and is also fun to shoot.my pick is the ar overall if i could only have one. think of it this way ar= precision rifle. ak= spray gun. so if you just want to shoot the hell out of something the ak is the way to go. the ar will also do this just with a lot more accuracy.

Guest drewi

Since you've owned an AR before but you haven't owned an AK get an AK.

Then you can decide for yourself which one you like best. If you don't like the AK, then sell it and buy another AR.

Edited to add: If you get one of the WASR rifles you may be unimpressed by the workmanship. AFAIK most of them function okay you just run a higher risk of getting a problem gun. Many people own them and have good luck with them but I would recommend something else. And that something else doesn't have to be a super custom $1300 AK either. A lot of people are having very good luck with the military suplus parts kits that are built up on an American receiver. If you get a surplus built gun do your research and find a good builder.

Guest Archimedes

This is not entirely off the subject.

http://www.assaultweaponwatch.com/

This is pretty funny. There is a webcam with an AR in the corner.

We need you!

Due to our limited budget and staffing, we are not available to monitor these assault weapons around the clock. We depend on you, our supporters, to help us maintain our vigil with the assistance of our webcam.

Helping is easy - you simply need to load this page regularly. Bookmark it. Make it your browser's default page. Check it every night after you tuck your children in. It's their lives your assistance might save.

You could be the one that spots the assault weapon violence.

:P

~Archi

Guest Voodoo_1

Great info guys! I too will be purchasing an AR this year. Moved it way up the list in fear that some nutjob elected official might try the "Ban Them All" bill again. Does anyone have any knowledge or personal experience with the new Sig 556. I have been very interested in this rifle knowing of the high quality of Sig pistols.

To correct something way up towards the top, Mosin-Nagant's, SVDs, and Dragunovs shoot 7.62x54R, not 7.62x59R.

AK reliability is without question. But unlike a lot of people, I would not get the 7.62x39 chambered AK-47, but the 5.45x39mm chambered AK-74. The 5.45 round is more to my personal liking. However, I have an M4. I'll stick with what I've got right now. If an AK shows up in the closet... well, I can always think about it some more until I have to decide. (=