Need Help Choosing Next Pistol

Guest FiddleDog

Guest FiddleDog

Two roads diverged from a path and I...

Have absolutely no idea which one I want to take more. I'm looking at picking up another .45 and have around $650 to play with. I've narrowed the field to 2 options. The first is a G30sf. The other is a SA GI Micro. Both wildly different guns. I'm not looking to carry it, so it's mainly going to be a bedside range gun. I'm familiar with the Glock platform as my edc is a G26, and my first gun was a Taurus PT1911. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Curious as to why you are looking at a compact/subcompact gun for nightstand duty and not carrying?

I would look at a g21sf or a springer gi full size

That was my thought as well. For home protection where concealment isn't important, why not a full sized gun with greater capacity? For range use, the larger capacity means fewer times you have to stop and refill magazines.

I have a G22 for home use and a G26 for carry, similar to the OPs situation. I would have bought the G21sf but at the time (early 2010) 45 ACP ammo was scarce and the only ammo that seemed readily available was 40SW so I opted for the G22.

Edit: Oh never mind, you explained it while I was posting!

I would like to have to option of carrying, even if not often. I'm kind of a skinny guy, so the full sizes take that option completely away.

I too am kind of a skinny guy, however I have carried a full size Sig in the past and now a commander size 1911. And I always carry concealed with no problem. The right holster and belt truely make a difference.

I would like to have to option of carrying, even if not often. I'm kind of a skinny guy, so the full sizes take that option completely away.

I'm a shade under 6" and less than 160lb. I've got a G17 on right now. In the winter with a sweater, jacket, sweatshirt, you can easily conceal a full-size gun if you try. Since your carry gun is so reliable (no bias here) I'd vote you get a full-size which ever way you go. It may not be as light, but it will be superior for home-defense and range use and can still be a back-up carry option.

Guest 10mm4me

Not one of your choices, but you could get a like new, used Sig P220 in .45ACP for that $650. I'm a recently diagnosed Sigaholic. Of your 2 choices, I'd get the G30.

I'm a shade under 6" and less than 160lb.

if this is true you muct be super dense!

I am a 1911 fan but I would go with the Glock. I do not like the 3" 1911s, they are too hit and miss with reliability. Most can be made reliable with different mags or extractor adjusting, but out of the box you can get la good one or not

I just caught my error. For clarification, I meant 6"....around. :rolleyes:

It's looking like the G30sf has got the nod...

Hey, FiddleDog! What would be wrong with a nice Glock 23 RTF2? :screwy:

Just kidding... Glad to see you're going Glock again. I've got a 21SF being transferred in this week to get some .45 ACP power back in the stable.

I picked up a Glock 30 SF a couple of weeks ago, and I like it. It's not too big to carry occasionally, especially with a long-sleeve shirt or jacket, but its just big and heavy enough to be fun and comfortable to shoot. Only problem I'm having is finding the holster I like (Bianchi 82 carry-lok) for it.. I may have to settle for something else.

Only problem I'm having is finding the holster I like (Bianchi 82 carry-lok) for it.. I may have to settle for something else.

I wore a Carry-Lok for a while and really liked it, but I got tired of fiddling with my belt to put it on and take it off. I ended up getting a UBG Regulator and absolutely loved it when I had my Kahr P45. Getting another for my Glock 23. You might want to give it a look. Super thin, sturdy, and pulls the gun in tighter than my Bianchi did.

Guest FiddleDog

I have seen a ton of misery stories floating around on the web about both the 30sf and the Micro. I may expand the list to include the GI Champion 4" as well. Reliability is the most important to me...followed closely by aesthetics.

I have seen a ton of misery stories floating around on the web about both the 30sf and the Micro. I may expand the list to include the GI Champion 4" as well. Reliability is the most important to me...followed closely by aesthetics.

Goal one would point you toward the G21SF and goal two would point you toward a 1911. Here's a compromise between the two: used Sig Sauer P220 .45 $539.00 SHIPS FREE

Dude! $650 and you want a new handgun. Life is good. I could recommend a totally different gun than the two you mentioned but I won't. The Glock 30 is a great little pistol. I choose the Glock 36 because it was slim and easier to conceal. I kinda wish I had bought the G30 instead. The Glock 36 pinches the crap out of my pinky finger, with the original magazine. The +1 extension does OK. The Glock 30 is about the same size as the Glock 19.

Guest FiddleDog

well, I took a wild left turn today, and ended up picking up a gun that wasn't either of my choices. An M&P45c came home with me. I really loved how it fit in my hand. It also had a thumb safety (I know, I know, a good holster, and trigger discipline is all I need...), which is an option that I like.