First Pistol-What should I get?

Ramjo

Guest 10mm4me
Affordable, huh? That means a lot of different things to different people. But I'll take it to mean "How cheaply can I get a decent carry gun". I'll sort some options for you, and you can go check them out to see what suits you best.

1) Best value in Inexpensive right now is the Czech CZ82. 9x18mm ammo (9mm Makarov) is not found at WalMart, but is inexpensive online. This is a well-made, reliable pistol with a 12-round magazine. Excellent ergonomics and accuracy, my wife stole the first one I got. Make sure you get two magazines with the pistol as spares are a bit pricey at ~$30 each. Pistols start at about $200.:D

2) If you shop, you can find some of the Polish P64 pistols for under $200. Another 9x18mm pistol, it is rather smaller than the CZ82, and has a reputation as having a bit of a fierce recoil. :tough: But, if you like pocket carry, this is a better choice than the CZ82. Magazines are a bit hard to find, so see if yours comes with two.

3) Keltec P3AT or PF9. The P3AT is in .380 (3AT, get it), and smaller and less expensive than the PF9. It makes an excellent pocket pistol. Both of these are double-action only, which means a long, heavy trigger pull. Not many people actually LIKE to fire these tiny pistols, but they are great for CCW. The P3AT seems to run about $250 on sale, and the PF9 about $50 more. Sometimes you can find a used one for less. Both Ruger and Taurus have come out with copies of these pistols. As far as I can see, the main difference is that the Taurus and Ruger are more expensive.:D If you buy a new one, expect to run at least a box of ammo (probably two) through it to 'break it in'.

4) And here is the "Wild-card, Student-Special" option!!:D:koolaid: Nagant revolver. Everyone on this board is asking me if I'm nuts! ;) Nope, here's why. You can get a nice one for about $100! The caliber is 7.62 Nagant, but I use .32 H&R magnum in mine. The .32 Mag is about as potent as the proven .38 special, so the caliber is OK for self-defense. (I said "OK", not 'perfect') If you get a Lee hand-loader, you can relaod for about $.10/rd. It's a bit large for CCW, but not a whole lot. It's a 7-shot, but still slimmer than most .38s. Get one made after 1934, and it will have a chromed bore (higher velocity, less corrosion). And, because they are cheap and plentiful, you can slim the grips and chop the barrel back to 3" without feeling guilty. All told, you should be able to get a complete setup with loading tools and dies for under $200.

Have fun looking, and we'll see you at the range!

You sir are MAD! MAD i say!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went through this about two months ago. I ended up buying a taurus pt740 slim it was a good gun the 24/7 would probably have been a better choice. I recently traded that for a fullsize glock 22 .40 I have to say I'm much impressed. Have fun finding a glock for 400 though.

Oh just curious how will you be buying the pistol? I noticed you just 20. I'm just curious is why I ask lol

Don't overlook the Ruger P series. I bought 2 P95's as gifts for under $300 each. Ran about 100 rounds of reloads w/cast bullets thru each

of them without a hiccup. This tells me that they will digest just about anything 9mm.

All reviews I read said they are very reliable. More important than "cool"

Guest 10mm4me
I went through this about two months ago. I ended up buying a taurus pt740 slim it was a good gun the 24/7 would probably have been a better choice. I recently traded that for a fullsize glock 22 .40 I have to say I'm much impressed. Have fun finding a glock for 400 though.

Oh just curious how will you be buying the pistol? I noticed you just 20. I'm just curious is why I ask lol

You can find used Glocks for $400 all day long. I personally know of 6 right now waiting to be bought.

Cash my friend...thinking about selling my stereo to pay for it and then have some left over.

Affordable, huh? That means a lot of different things to different people. But I'll take it to mean "How cheaply can I get a decent carry gun". I'll sort some options for you, and you can go check them out to see what suits you best.

1) Best value in Inexpensive right now is the Czech CZ82. 9x18mm ammo (9mm Makarov) is not found at WalMart, but is inexpensive online. This is a well-made, reliable pistol with a 12-round magazine. Excellent ergonomics and accuracy, my wife stole the first one I got. Make sure you get two magazines with the pistol as spares are a bit pricey at ~$30 each. Pistols start at about $200.:D

2) If you shop, you can find some of the Polish P64 pistols for under $200. Another 9x18mm pistol, it is rather smaller than the CZ82, and has a reputation as having a bit of a fierce recoil. :tough: But, if you like pocket carry, this is a better choice than the CZ82. Magazines are a bit hard to find, so see if yours comes with two.

3) Keltec P3AT or PF9. The P3AT is in .380 (3AT, get it), and smaller and less expensive than the PF9. It makes an excellent pocket pistol. Both of these are double-action only, which means a long, heavy trigger pull. Not many people actually LIKE to fire these tiny pistols, but they are great for CCW. The P3AT seems to run about $250 on sale, and the PF9 about $50 more. Sometimes you can find a used one for less. Both Ruger and Taurus have come out with copies of these pistols. As far as I can see, the main difference is that the Taurus and Ruger are more expensive.:2cents: If you buy a new one, expect to run at least a box of ammo (probably two) through it to 'break it in'.

4) And here is the "Wild-card, Student-Special" option!!:D:koolaid: Nagant revolver. Everyone on this board is asking me if I'm nuts! ;) Nope, here's why. You can get a nice one for about $100! The caliber is 7.62 Nagant, but I use .32 H&R magnum in mine. The .32 Mag is about as potent as the proven .38 special, so the caliber is OK for self-defense. (I said "OK", not 'perfect') If you get a Lee hand-loader, you can relaod for about $.10/rd. It's a bit large for CCW, but not a whole lot. It's a 7-shot, but still slimmer than most .38s. Get one made after 1934, and it will have a chromed bore (higher velocity, less corrosion). And, because they are cheap and plentiful, you can slim the grips and chop the barrel back to 3" without feeling guilty. All told, you should be able to get a complete setup with loading tools and dies for under $200.

Have fun looking, and we'll see you at the range!

Hey crazy or not, I'm taking all suggestions...and actually I am partial to revolvers!

College is why I got a makarov. These days maks are more expensive than when I was in school but same idea applies: for $200 or so you can get a cz-82 and the ammo is still inexpensive if you shop around, hovers around $9-12 a box of 50 for the cheap stuff. Its slightly more power than a 380. Hard to beat this in a semi-auto platform.

If you have closer to $500 to spend, you have a lot of options, any caliber up to 9mm, even some .40 and 45s (not many), in nearly any style, size, etc. A lot of good revolvers in there too, if you prefer. Whatever you pick, do a price check for ammo online: a cheap gun may shoot $20 a box ammo (or more!) and end up costing you more long term.

I have a Smith and Wesson Sigma Series 9VE. I saw last week it was 289.99 at Academy Sports and Outdoors for the 9mm or .40 cal. We take it to the range almost every month and put at least a box of 100 through it. They sell cheap 9mm rounds by Monarch for 9.99 but are on sale this week for only 7.99 for a box of 50. Cheaper than shooting almost anything but a .22. Bought 3 boxes just the other day and we are going back for more tonight. Great gun, never have had any misfires and my wife loves shooting it too.

The S&W SD9 is very interesting. On sale at Academy for $399, or online for even cheaper. Very attractive and ergonomic pistol. It comes with front tritium night sight, high cap. 16 + 1; good intermediate size (smaller than G17, M&P, and tiny bit larger than G19); slim grip with good grip angle; standard rail (as opposed to proprietary rail on Sigma); new trigger design - very revolver like trigger pull, not too light, not too heavy, and longer pull than Glock or M&P.

Liked it so much, I picked one up in .40 (SD40) to help get rid of some .40 ammo I had laying around ;-)

Haven't taken it to the range yet, but will try to report back with likes/dislikes when I do.

Two routes to follow here, especially if you are going to own only one handgun.

Revolver: Stainless steel S&W J Frame or Ruger SP101 with 3" barrel.

Pistol: Glock 19 or 23.

Both types are small enough for CCW, are reliable, proven, easy to clean and accurate within SD needs. There are better engineered and "prettier" handguns out there, but these will function and are easy to maintain.