A question for TWRA guys...

Handguns

Recent legislative changes provide that individuals who possess a carry permit may possess their handgun while on TWRA wildlife management areas, public hunting areas or refuges open to hunter access. The handgun may not be used for taking game unless specifically permitted by TWRA regulation. This change will now allow those with carry permits to possess their handgun at times when previously it would not have been permissible such as during archery hunting. TWRA will apply this same interpretation to those possessing carry permits while hunting on private lands.

This is a cut and paste from Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency - WMA Regulations.

My question is, does this mean that I can carry my handgun on the private property that I hunt on, and would it be legal to take a coyote with it during archery season? Looks like it says one can because coyote killing is permitted by TWRA regulation during daylight hours. What say the officers?

Edited by 7mmvol
clarify question...
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Jcochran88

Yes you can carry on private land, can only use it to take an animal if it meets the twra barrel lenght and shot size requirements. That being said you can not take any game with it during archery , or muzzeloader season.

What he said! Remember though, if shotshell is all that legal at any given time, then keep your centerfire pistol holstered. In those cases, carry a nice 22 mag revolver with a 4 inch barrel. Should cover both your needs.

Guest Jcochran88
Remember guys, I'm asking about using the pistol to shoot a coyote from my treestand during ARCHERY season...while bowhunting...

I will repeat it is illegal to use your carry gun during archery or muzzeloader season.

Why not use your bow? Shooting that pistol from your tree stand could get you in a "heap'a trouble boy"! If knowledge serves me right, rimfire is leagal to hunt yotes with during archery season. Get you a nice .22 mag and carry it! Shoot the yote from your stand. Read my lips..."you cand hunt coyote with bow as well as rimfire". If you see a deer, keep the daggum thing holstered and take it with your bow! Your other option....forget it!

That was my opinion too, that allowing handgun carry during archery season, or muzzleloader, was for 2 legged varmits...but the wording on the website could lead to misinterpretation for sure...Thanks for your prompt replies guys.