Brass Tumbling with Corn Cob Litter

A while back, someone mentioned that they use the corn cob kitty litter instead of the corn cob media that costs more. I tried it and after about an hour in the tumbler, the litter got really powdery. It didn't work well for me. I'm really digging the idea of not paying twice as much for the corn cob media. Can anyone suggest a particular brand they've used that works well?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wasn't impressed with corn cob media - guess I'm too impatient. I've found that walnut hull with rouge cleans brass much quicker and lasts a long time.

So I guess I can't help with a corncob recommendation - I don't like the stuff.

Guest Lester Weevils

I've been using walnut with rouge for cleaning. Recently starting using corncob for polish after the walnut. The corncob polishes shinier than the walnut, and gets the rouge off the brass. Maybe since rouge is a mild abrasive, eventually it could possibly wear the carbide dies a little.

Have only used Lyman corncob. Haven't tried kitty litter. The Lyman corncob seems to last awhile and not powder out. The coonhounds love anything made of corn, and they would eat the Lyman corncob if I'd let them. They always have to get a good sniff of it when I open the container.

Guest Archminister01

I get my tumbling media from the pet store in 10lb bags both corn and walnut. Its the stuff they use for pet cages and lizards etc. Cost me less than 10 dollars if i remember correctly. Im still using bags from a long bit ago. I even have cleaned my used walnut media with dish soap and hot water. Once its rinsed thoroughly, I spread it out on a sheet of plastic..takes a day or so to dry and its good for more uses.

The crushed walnut "lizard litter" is what a friend was suggesting. Might have to look for that.

Lester, the Lyman corncob is what I've been using, too. It's great stuff, but the price tag is just too high for what it is.

I still use the corn cob because it doesn't leave the reddish residue but it doesn't clean as "hard". So what I've done now to extend the corn cob media is mix some of the walnut media in, probably 90% corn cob, 10% walnut and it's really done a super job. That and throwing in the wife's old dryer sheets to pick up the leading. Tear one into 4 smaller squares and replace as soon as they blacken up.

I get my tumbling media from the pet store in 10lb bags both corn and walnut. Its the stuff they use for pet cages and lizards etc. Cost me less than 10 dollars if i remember correctly. Im still using bags from a long bit ago.

+1

I use pet store bird cage walnut media w/ a little Flitz sprinkled in.

Well, since I'm working today anyway, I stopped by the pet store and got some of the lizard cage crushed walnut stuff. Gonna give that (and a little Flitz) a try tonight when I get home. I'll let y'all know how it works out. Thanks for the replies guys. :)

Alright. I put a load of brass through the "lizard litter" (crushed walnut shells), some cut up used dryer sheets, and some flitz. I have to say I'm impressed. Cleaned much faster than the corn cob media. The down side, though, is that it doesn't polish nearly as well. But who cares about that? It makes no difference in how the ammo shoots. :screwy:

I use long grain white rice. Works great but I only get about 3 uses per load and have to throw it out.

DaG

I might have to try that one day. Three uses is kinda slim, but rice is cheap! Do you use any polish with the rice?

I personally use the lizard litter walnut for the initial cleaning and then put the brass in with some corn cob, from the pet store also, along with NuFinish car wax and that really shined up the last batch I did. I also use the dryer sheet trick to cut down on the dust. I was reading on another site recently about a corn cob blasting media from Grainger here in town. You get a 40lb bag for $27 and it is suppose to be fine enough that it will not get clogged in the primer pocket or flash hole. I plan on trying this next time I need some more cob media. Here is a link to the Grainger site with it.

Blast Media, 40 Lbs, Corn Cob, 20/40 Grit - Pneumatic Blasting Media - Finishing Supplies - Power Tools & Metalworking : Grainger Industrial Supply

Alright. I put a load of brass through the "lizard litter" (crushed walnut shells), some cut up used dryer sheets, and some flitz. I have to say I'm impressed. Cleaned much faster than the corn cob media. The down side, though, is that it doesn't polish nearly as well. But who cares about that? It makes no difference in how the ammo shoots. ;)

Lately, I've been using 75% walnut and 25% corncob with some Flitz and dryer sheets. You get the abrasiveness from the walnut and the polish of corncob.

I might have to try that one day. Three uses is kinda slim, but rice is cheap! Do you use any polish with the rice?

No polish. For IPSC/3Gun no need for polished brass.

DaG

I have started adding 6mm airsoft BB's to my mix. Seems to supercharge the cleaning process in my 45 ACP and 223 brass. I initially did this when I ran out of media and used the BB's to fill volume in my tumbler. After that I realized that media alone with the BB's did better than media alone with cleaners and polish.

I use the Kattee Walnut Lizard Litter as well. The only thing is I use the Desert Blend because it is much finer so you don't have to pick it out of the primer pockets.

Dolomite

I personally use the lizard litter walnut for the initial cleaning and then put the brass in with some corn cob, from the pet store also, along with NuFinish car wax and that really shined up the last batch I did. I also use the dryer sheet trick to cut down on the dust. I was reading on another site recently about a corn cob blasting media from Grainger here in town. You get a 40lb bag for $27 and it is suppose to be fine enough that it will not get clogged in the primer pocket or flash hole. I plan on trying this next time I need some more cob media. Here is a link to the Grainger site with it.

Blast Media, 40 Lbs, Corn Cob, 20/40 Grit - Pneumatic Blasting Media - Finishing Supplies - Power Tools & Metalworking : Grainger Industrial Supply

Skip the middleman you can get that direct from the manufacturer with free shipping 80lb for $35

Generic 542040G-80 Blast Media

Skip the middleman you can get that direct from the manufacturer with free shipping 80lb for $35

Generic 542040G-80 Blast Media

That link goes to a coal slag media. But there are links on the side of the page to corn cob media. I'd imagine coal slag may not be the best choice for brass. :rolleyes:

EDITED TO ADD:

Looks like this would be the best choice:

Econoline 526040G-40 40 Lbs Blast Media

Edited by kb4ns