Been thinking about getting a M79. I prefer the wood stocked version made in the mid-60's

by Exotic Metal Products or Springfield Armory (The real one) none of that plastic stocked crap for me. Or should I look at the M203 due to the mounting availability to a host weapon.

Also should I take into consideration the maximum range of each platform, 350m for the M79 and 150m for the M203. I'm leaning toward that classic the M79 (Blooper/Thumper) it's making a comeback.

What say you?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While on active duty in the Army I thought the M79 was pretty accurate although we did experience quite a large

percentage of duds with the explosive rounds. fwiw....

Interesting, when were you in? Were the dud's failure on the launch or on impact?

Been thinking about getting a M79. I prefer the wood stocked version made in the mid-60's

by Exotic Metal Products or Springfield Armory (The real one) none of that plastic stocked crap for me. Or should I look at the M203 due to the mounting availability to a host weapon.

Also should I take into consideration the maximum range of each platform, 350m for the M79 and 150m for the M203. I'm leaning toward that classic the M79 (Blooper/Thumper) it's making a comeback.

What say you?

Depends on buying already built or building your own. Buying a built M79 is crazy expensive.

Unless you have an excellent source for M79 parts, go with the M203.

I built my M79 from parts that took over 2 years to find. Started with a TRW receiver and most of the internals weren't too bad. Only 6 months to find them. But a couple were so hard to find, I was starting to fabricate them myself. (And this search included contacting the U.S. Program Manager for parts. Long story.) I then happened into the part and bought several at the same time. A friend assembled it and TI'd it for me and it was finally done, after more than 2 years. Just for fun, try to find the correct sling or front sight assembly.

The M203 spare parts selection is very available. No problems at all.

As for M781 ammo, factory production overruns are available. It is hit or miss on quality (or else the USG would have bought them in the first place). I picked up a full crate of 100rds at Knob Creek.

Fell free to PM or email with any questions.

What did your build run you money wise?

Until just recently, I was assigned out in UT and had the great fortune to be near a lady (Destiny, who advertises on gunbroker) who is probably the leading civilian expert on grenade launchers. She is a master at welding the receivers to keep all threads intact and holes aligned. BTW, the Army goes to Destiny looking for M79 parts!

The receiver I got from her is a reweld, so that saved me quite a bit of money. $1,000 (friend price)

Barrel was a steal at $500 on gunbroker. This was complete with sights and ejector assembly. I just got plain lucky.

Misc parts probably about $300.

The hardest part to find was the trigger spring. Just a flat little piece of metal with an unusual bend to it. Finally found 3 of them. Used one, kept one as a spare and gave one to Destiny for her help.

I assembled it as far as I could then took the parts to her. In a few minutes, sitting at her table, she had it together. Noticed the hammer spring wasn't to spec, so she tweaked that part and put it back together. Functions perfectly now. Nice parkerizing, refinished wood stock and original sling. (I'm trying to find a photo.)

The key for me was patience in looking for parts at a decent price, with total time being maybe 3 years.

Jason, Yes! That is the same Destiny. That woman knows M79 and M203 like the back of her hand. She is pretty darn good at recoiless rifles as well and dabbles a little in mortars. People laugh when I tell them about her. Her business card has a red rose on it. Not at all what you would expect.

As for why 40mm, I collect US and Soviet Cold War weapons and wanted an original piece of US militaria. Plus, if I want I can fire 12ga out of it (thanks Destiny for the adapter), or maybe get a .22lr adapter some day.

A welded receiver will bring less than an original. Used to be quite a bit of difference, but as the supply has dried up, that margin grows smaller.

Building a M79 is getting harder and harder. Randy Shivak used to sell new receivers, but stopped. Even if you can find the receiver, the internals are a pain and there are a BUNCH of parts.

Best way to go now is a M203. Barrels are still available.

Just remember, you can have either the barrel OR the receiver without BATF paperwork. You have to have your approved Form 1 before getting the other part. Or, if you have lots of money just go for a complete launcher on a Form 4.

For complete M203, that isn't too bad.

A fake M79 barrel recently sold on gunbroker for $705. A stripped, well used one sold for $525. Sights and other parts for the barrel will bring the total barrel cots to over $1,000.

I haven't priced the M203 receivers in a while but Ohio Rapid Fire made their own, at a reasonable price. Cast 80% receivers are around as well if you have the machinging skills.

Barrels can be found for $300-$400, parts sets about the same. For me it is all about trying to find the best parts at the lowest prices.

I kick myself all the time for not snapping up an original M79 receiver I saw at a gunshow inside one of those glass topped boxes. This was about 10 years ago. At the time I had no idea what it was, and probably wouldn't have been interested anyway. Price - $150.

Randy Shivak has some nice receivers, but they are pricey.

SHIVAK MACHINING - PRODUCTS

I did get some from J&T, mainly just little springs and such. The prices added up pretty quick.

If I recall, their catalog has a pretty good exploded view of an M79.

If they say they have the parts, jump on them. Might be worth a phone call to establish a relationship with the sales dept.

It's a sellers market. You might some parts at gunshows, or set gunbroker to email you when a parts is listed. But for J&T, they are sometimes the only game in town. Word gets out whensomeone has extra parts and they go quickly.

Do you know about grogs? That is where all the DD folks hang out.