New AR, got a question

graydw1

Just got an DPMS AR with a front gas block with a rail that is out of plane with the rear rail. The gas block rail is probably 1/4" shorter than the rear rail. I'm looking for folding iron sights to fit this configuration that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Anybody been thru this and have any suggestions?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest josh123

dont put the magpul buis on the gas block.. had a friend that had a problem with it melting and it made for quite a mess..

ill post some pics if i can find them..

dont put the magpul buis on the gas block.. had a friend that had a problem with it melting and it made for quite a mess..

ill post some pics if i can find them..

Not sure if he ever used them but they are not on the same plane. Sounds like he just ordered them then stuck them on there, never using them.

These are very nice:

BROWNELLS : CAR-15/M4 FLIP-UP TACTICAL FRONT SIGHT - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools - BROWNELLS

Dolomite

Guest josh123
Not sure if he ever used them but they are not on the same plane. Sounds like he just ordered them then stuck them on there, never using them.

he did.. he realized that they didnt work right after he put them on.. he put them on and just never bothered to take them off because he always used his eotech..

needless to say this summer we each went out and put about 200rds down range with our guns and he had plastic dripping on his foot after the second clip..

i have the gg&g flip up front and rears and love them but the front sight alone cost me $179.99

Guest josh123

i had one on my lwrc upper before i sold it and never had a problem either...this was just a bad case i guess..although i had heard of it happening before i witnessed i, in all honesty if i remember correctly i saw it somewhere on this site

Magpul sights are designed to be used on the same plane and not mounted on the gas block so if you have one mounted on a gas block you must be using a spacer to bring it up to the same level as the rear. As far as durability on the gas block, if you only fire a few rounds at a time it may last but if you are hot and heavy into firing it will melt the plastic and do so pretty quick.

Dolomite

Guest josh123
if you only fire a few rounds at a time it may last but if you are hot and heavy into firing it will melt the plastic and do so pretty quick.

he popped off about 15 rounds in 3 seconds probably why...i never shoot my guns like that i dont really see a point ha i guess thats why i had no problems with mine

Yankee Hill makes a riser for the railed gas blocks. I have never used one just remember them from their website.

Here is the link.

Gas Block Riser

At $42 though it might not add up once you buy a front sight too.

YHM Gas Block Riser<--Riser for $33.50+ the TGO Discount

It does add a bit of cost to the setup, but it would depend on what type of sights you already have/want to run. It's easier to swap the FSP+ Gas Block Riser in-between guns than swap a gas-block, obviously.