Opinions about the Sub Compact PX4 & Springfield XDM

luvmyberetta

I have a few full size pistols and am considering getting a more concealable pistol & I've never shot a sub compact before. I've looked at a lot of different ones and the only two that felt comfortable in my hands were the Beretta PX4 and Springfield XDM. I know both are excellent quality pistols so thats not an issue. The PX4 with it's spring loaded pinkie grip felt the best in my hands & it's a bit smaller, but holding in a store and shooting are two different things. It's going to be a while before I can actually test fire one and was wondering if anyone has actually shot the PX4 or XDM and what caliber? What's your opinion of them?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to have an XDM in .40. It was the full size and the only reason I got rid of it was because it was just too big to carry and I just don't have the jack to fill a safe with guns I don't shoot and carry. I am seriously considering getting an XDM compact myself. I have an XD subcompact and it is an excellent gun also. Neither my XD nor XDM have ever given me any troubles. However, I've never owned or shot the PX4 so I can't give you a comparison.

I had both, and ended up trading away the Beretta - mostly because of an annoying squeak as the trigger was pulled that made me nuts! (No one could find the cause, and no amount of lubrication could make it go away..)

That said, the XD SC (.40) fits my hand better and is a pleasure to shoot. The Beretta looked cool, but just wasn't for me.

My XD40sc has been an excellent pistol. I haven't shot a PX4 so I'm not sure how they would compare. The only Beretta I'm familiar with is the M9 and it's a well made and dependable pistol. I'd want to handle the guns and fire them if possible, to see how they compare.

Guest Red Rider

I rented the XD subcompact in .40 and was really surprised by how well it shot and how accurate it shot. Santa brought me the XD subcompact in 9mm this year and I am very happy with it. It is my first choice to carry.

I also have a Springfield 9mm EMP. This gun is super accurate and carries very well. It really carries even tighter than the XD subcompact.

Im a bigger guy but I carry my 4.5" barrel xdm now that I've got my permit, only carried it a couple times, but it's not to big for me, feels just right with an iwb, and since I wear bigger shirts to begin with my buddies said you can't even tell I'm carrying it. However I'm looking at a glock compact or an xdm compact, the only thing that really bothers me about my current xdm is the length of the mag area, with 19+1 capacity it's super long.

Ive also shot the px4, it's not for me at all, just plain feels odd. Lots of people say the xdm doesnt point naturally, it's points better than any other gun I've shot that I would carry, glocks, s&w m&p, j frames and beretta and Taurus alike.

Go handle/rent and shoot both. I shot the xdm @ sevier indoor range before I decided to purchase between the xdm/m&p 9mm.

I would have to choose the the XD. I do have a Beretta but not the px4. I did have a full size one and it shot ok but nothing like a xd. I have also had a xd and like an idiot traded it. I'm actually in the market for another one. I did tons of research on the px4 and found that just like the one that I had, it was not very accuate out of the box. One Beretta forum I found said alot of the times it took over 600 rounds before it would shoot pretty consistant. My XD was dead on from shot one pretty much. I have shot the xdm but havent owned one. They shoot great. If you are looking for this style i would pick for sure the XDM or take a look at the glocks. G26 or 27 are great as well.

Edited by tugboat

I was a Glock guy until recently. I picked up the xdm in a 40 and haven't looked back. Much more accurate information my hands. Just as indestructible as a Glock. Felt recoil is much less out of the xd. I have since picked up an xd and a subcompact xdm.

I can't comment on the Beretta. I have held one and dry fired it. I didn't like the feel of the grip of the trigger pull.

I have the subcompact px4 in 40 caliber. Its a great shooter, and very compact in length and height. Its exceptionally wide, and the safetys stick out like bunny ears, I cut them down (I dont use the safety anyway, its DA trigger pull is plenty of safety) to size. Apart from the width and the silly safetys, its an awesome gun. Heavy, it has very low recoil for its size and caliber, I can shoot it well one-handed, something I cannot do with many lightweight 9mm, much less a 40. Its quite accurate. Its a beast to load, the mag springs are a wee bit stout, it comes with a tool for that (and, its still new, this may break in). I can get it into jeans/dress pants pocket with a bit of work but its not going to fast draw from there. It had zero break in period, just lubed it and shot it. No failures of any kind to date.

My opinion is pretty high. Its a great combo gun (good enough for target practice / fun shooting / plinking but its not a 50 yard target pistol) and good enough for self defense. Rare to find a gun this small that is fun to shoot on the range.

The drawbacks are the extreme weight (its very heavy loaded) and the width (difficult to conceal, a little funny to hold).

A plus, you can adjust the grip size to small, medium, or large in about 10 seconds.

Note its one of very few subcompacts with a true DA setup (exposed hammer), which I really like (I prefer the option to pull the hammer back with my thumb). This was a huge selling point to me. The runner up for me was a CZ rami in .40 -- the XDs are internal hammer and I did not look at them.

Mine doesnt squeak :D

Edited by Jonnin

I like my XDm 9mm (full size). It's a sweet shooter after I put a Springer Precision trigger kit in it. My only complaint is the magazines. If they are left loaded for an extended period of time they will not lock the slide open on the last round.

Guess I'll have to wait a few weeks to try them out before ordering one or the other. One one side I like the exposed hammer on the PX4 & it felt very comfortable in my hands. The XDM is no doubt a quality pistol, but the handle is bit short & felt a little awkward in my hands, and using the grip extension pretty much kills the whole reason for having a subcompact. I'm a big guy and have no problem hiding my SR9 on a shoulder holster, but I am looking for more of a back up or a need to conceal situation, pistol. Bud's has both pistols shipped for well under $500 (the XDM is actually about $50 less). Thanks.