.50 BMG - Where to shoot in TN?

Guest kman0066

Guest kman0066

I own a Barrett M99A1 and went out for my first outing to the range only to be turned away. So, does anyone know a range (hopefully in Middle TN but I'm willing to drive what it takes) that will allow .50 BMG to be fired there? It doesn't need to be any specific length at this point, I've given up hope of finding a good range in TN now, any range that allows will do.

The following ranges I have confirmed DO NOT allow:

Stones River Hunter Education Center

Montgomery County Shooting Complex

On Target Shooting Range

What really pisses me off is the fact that I've been to the Stones River range (Hobson Pike) and have seen Barrett with their rifles there firing. One of their range officers was even showing off the target that Barrett was using. But when I go, this rule of no BMG rounds comes out which doesn't show up in the published rules and regulations for the range.

I've been reading about a Cheatham range which is un-supervised? That may work?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest MERRILL

The TWRA range in Cheatham county is definitely unsupervised. Go there during the week and you should have no problems. Cost is 5.50$. I have been going there for about 5 years and have yet to be checked.

Guest kman0066

For reference, I called Terry Waldens and they said they will allow a Barrett .50 cal. 55 minute drive from my house, but it's a longer range than SRHEC, so that's cool, should be fun.

Guest kman0066
have you called on target in the burro?? its indoors and they have two rifle lanes and they let me blast my ak there.

There 2 rifle lanes are down right now for repairs as of a few days ago. And I did ask, they said .308 is the largest caliber allowed.

Guest Ditchdigger

Give them a call at the Viola Valley Shooting Range, 931-635-2264. Its here in Warren County. $6.00 to shoot. Nothing fancy might have a 200 yrd range. He has a no kill dog shelter there also. Maybe the wind will be blowing the right direction if you get to come up. Can't think of the guys name, but he's a real nice. Hope this helps.

The TWRA range in Cheatham county is definitely unsupervised. Go there during the week and you should have no problems. Cost is 5.50$. I have been going there for about 5 years and have yet to be checked.

and filthy. why people can't pick up after themselves i don't understand.

• 2 months later...

Wow, I am surprised to see that SRHEC does not allow .50 BMG. I realize they only have 150 yard frames but they have a very sizable backstop and huge earthen berms between ranges so it would definitely be safe to shoot there.

The argument about chewing up berms seems moot unless you are indoors or shooting against steel or cinder block or very thin earth piles, in which case the .50 BMG would definitely chew those up good, and ricochets can be dangerous even within 200 yards (seen it happen).

I am guessing SRHEC doesn't allow .50 BMG for public shooters because of concern about the excessive muzzle blast distracting other shooters in nearby lanes, and because of fears over someone blowing up their rifle with a reload or other cheap surplus ammo.

At any rate I am glad that I have enough land to at least test fire my new .50 BMG but it is all wooded and not large enough for any target shooting beyond 100 yards so I will have to look into Terry Walden's or Rock Castle. I just hate to waste all that time driving when I could be shooting, reloading, cleaning, etc.