Who shortens AR barrels in East-TN?

I'm sitting on a 16" rifle and I would like to get the barrel shortened or possibly get a new upper and keep the carbine-length upper on tap. So the question is: who would do this?

Or should I just forget it and get a new upper? (option when they're back in stock: BCM Standard 11.5" Carbine (LIGHT WEIGHT) Upper Receiver Group )

Also, if anyone wants to throw in their ideas, it'd be appreciated.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's two for chopping it and two for buying new. I'll give CCA and Predator Customs a couple of calls and look around on ARFCOM (as much as I hate going there ;))

Thanks, fellas. This is my first tax stamp so I don't want to do it wrong.

That's two for chopping it and two for buying new. I'll give CCA and Predator Customs a couple of calls and look around on ARFCOM (as much as I hate going there :))

Thanks, fellas. This is my first tax stamp so I don't want to do it wrong.

Actually, I think getting a new upper is a better idea. I was just letting you know who can do the modification. Just depends on how much you want to spend. :dunno:

+1 for Jimmy and crew at Predator Custom Shop. They can do anything to an AR that can be done to an AR. They can also turn down heavy barrels to lighter profiles.

Guest TnValleyBulletman
It takes about 5 minutes to put a barrel on the upper you already have. A $230 barrel is much cheaper than an upper.

That's the best advice IMHO.

For added stability. With shorter barrels you get less velocity and bullet stability suffers. It would not be as bad in an 11.5â€, but the shorter you go the worse it gets. You get greater range and the ability to shoot the heavier bullets. Bullets can and do destabilize at shorter distances. There in no real down side. Bullet stability calculator.

I understand that most SBRs are used as short range weapons, but mine are not.

You may want to look at this. I haven’t watched any in a long time but it should give you an idea of how to do it yourself. At the very least you will get an idea of what is involved. If someone tries to blow smoke up your ass about how hard it is to put one of these together you'll know they're full of it. If you decide to go this route let me know I’ll send you a receiver block and barrel nut wrench. Just send it back when you’re done. I will warn you, when you find out how easy it is you’ll end up with your own tools and three or four more uppers.

GunTech : How to Build An AR-15 Video - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools - BROWNELLS

For added stability. With shorter barrels you get less velocity and bullet stability suffers. It would not be as bad in an 11.5â€, but the shorter you go the worse it gets. You get greater range and the ability to shoot the heavier bullets. Bullets can and do destabilize at shorter distances. There in no real down side. Bullet stability calculator.

I understand that most SBRs are used as short range weapons, but mine are not.

Other than over stabilization, the bullet not tumbling or falling apart in the target I guess there isn't a down side. With the reduced velocities and fast twists the bullets will not tumble and they will certainly not disrupt, what they will do is pass right through the target making a nice little 1/4" hole. With shorter barrels the worst thing you could do is over stabilize with a 7 twist barrel because velocities are so low to start with. Another advantage to a slower twist is an increase of velocity.

You mention heavier bullets but heavier bullets in the 223 is not the answer because it only exacerbates the problem. Lowering the velocity leads to less chance of the bullet disrupting as well as overstabilization because of the current twist rates used, as in 7 twist barrels. Part of what causes the bullets to disrupt and fragment is when they tumble but if you have too much twist it will never tumble. The 5.56 is a phenomenal round as long as we stay within it's limitations. It is not a 500 yard caliber, at best 300 yards and even that is pushing the envelope using FMJ ammo with the current twist rates.

Here are some interesting reads on the effectiveness of the 5.56:

Do not hot link this but copy and paste it into a new browser to open it:

http://stevespages.com/pdf/5_56mm_military_info.pdf

This is the penetration based on velocity:

http://stevespages.com/jpg/bestbullet.jpg

To the OP, don't drink the coolaid, a 9 twist barrel is fine for most of the shooting you are going to do. I shoot 69 grain SMK's in mine all the time without any stability problems. And if you feel the need to do some long range work that necessitates the use of heavier bullets you sure as hell aren't going to be doing it with a 10.5" gun.

Dolomite