Gas Prices

strickj

"Those shale resources alone are actually three times larger than the proven reserves of Saudi Arabia, so the claim that the U.S. only has 2% of the world's oil is clearly false."

I'm sick of hearing about the oil shale.

Just like the hydrogen fuel cell, it produces less energy than it takes to get it.

It seems realistic that the US has something like <5% of all known liquid oil deposits, but uses 25% of world output per day.

It's also true that the US Dept. of Interior claims we have 134 billion untapped barrels of liquid oil. That includes Bakken, ANWR, offshore in all US waters, everything. Guess what, even if we had every drop in hand, right now, that's only 18 years worth at present consumption of 20 million bbls/day. Probably a lot less, since we increase consumption every year.

Who cares if O fudges stats some, the truth is plenty bad enough.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

it does not even matter how much fuel ( oil ) we really have. The entire situation will be used to further political agendas. We have had ample oppurtunity to make things better for our country. NO one in power has ever done much other than try to get re-elected.

Supposely the USA is the Arabia of natural gas. I dunno,but lets say we are. Why were cars not built to run on that stuff 20 years ago? Because it did not further political agendas is why.

Nothing we say or do as citizens is going to make one bit of difference.

The average wage earner iis screwed. No one who can make a difference cares. I wish I was born fifty years sooner so I could I could be taking my dirt nap already.

The election this past Nov. made a difference. What's happening in WI and the obamacare debate, (or rather lack of), is the result of what citizens can do and how they can make a difference.

Don't give up, the fight has just started. :poop:

Supposely the USA is the Arabia of natural gas. I dunno,but lets say we are. Why were cars not built to run on that stuff 20 years ago? Because it did not further political agendas is why.

The average wage earner iis screwed. No one who can make a difference cares. I wish I was born fifty years sooner so I could I could be taking my dirt nap already.

Try to visualize the average DA you see trying to fill their tanks with pressurized natural gas.

Of course, that might be a good way to cleanse the gene pool.

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I thought I'd bump this since it's about a year old.

We had estimates of $3.14 to $7.00 by summer in this thread and in case you haven't noticed the cheapest price per gallon around me is $3.37 today.

BTW it was under $2.00 when BHO got elected.

I suspect this will continue to creep up since once again there is turmoil in the ME and BHO is clueless about doing anything about anything.

• Like 2
Guest Lester Weevils

Its difficult to know how much the price is manipulated, versus simple supply and demand.

Obama resisting domestic oil development surely suppresses domestic supply at least a little, but dunno how significant that would be.

Oil may be one of those things that will spike price on very small reductions of supply? Maybe if everybody needs ferinstance 10 gallons of gas per week to get to work, but if there are only 9.5 gallons per person available-- That isn't much of a shortage numerically, but it is enough that everybody might have to miss a day per week of work. So maybe extremely minor shortages could bid up the price dramatically? What is the average joe gonna do, miss a day of work, or pay whatever it takes to get that extra half gallon of gas?

Maybe it is faulty reasoning. Was just wondering about that.

Right before the crash, and helping contribute to the crash, gas prices were sky-high. Perhaps some manipulation, but OTOH demand was real high worldwide. After the crash, demand dropped and so the price dropped as well.

Not arguing any point of view. Just thinking out loud. We wouldn't praise bush for bringing down the price of gas with his ingenious plan of crashing the economy. The low price of gas was just a tiny "silver lining" inside the bad black cloud of the crash. Both were "accidents" inasmuch as bush's admin and the fed and congress had been trying their damndest to avoid the crash for the two previous years, with interest rate adjustments, repeated big tax rebate check mailouts, etc. Seems like the crash was inevitable because they were busting their butts to stop it for such a long time. It just couldn't be stopped.

The USA, because of dummass policies or structural disadvantages or whatever, remains deeper in recession than many places. Some places are farther along in recovery. Those places are buying more gas. Driving up the price.

Lacking a vast increase in supply, if the USA economy could miraculously recover back to 2006 levels, then it stands to reason that gas demand would rise and gas prices would skyrocket in-sync with the recovery? So maybe like praising Bush for bringing down gas prices by crashing the economy-- If the economy improves under Obama and gas prices skyrocket-- Do we blame Obama for raising the gas price with his evil plan of fixing the economy?

I don't believe Obama can "fix" the economy any more than Bush could have kept it from crashing. Just sayin, except for Obama hindering domestic gas production, as the world economy recovers and gas demand increases, there might not be a whole heck of a lot Obama can do about the price of gas?

If gas has to go up along with the economy improving, I don't like Obama and don't think he would be the reason for the economy improving, but I will be the first to cheer, "Come on $6 gas!".

The previous reasoning assumes gas prices are not a "rigged game" and the prices actually do follow supply and demand rules. I don't know one way ot t'other whether gas prices are a "rigged game".

Guest mustangdave

this kinda sucks...but its not unexpected...I just need it to warm up a bit so I can ride the motorcycle more. The cars don't mind staying in the garage

Well, here we go again...

Experts expect prices to spike another 60 cents or more, with the $4 mark being touched—or exceeded—sometime this summer, probably by Memorial Day weekend, the peak of the summer driving season. The last time the U.S. saw $4 gasoline was back in the summer of 2008.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/gas-hit-dollars-gallon/story?id=15574151#.TzmyOBxHkzM

Guest mustangdave

something M4Sherman said about motorcycles struck me...about that mileage they get...my 500cc (made in INDIA) British thumper gets 65-70 mpg...its carburated...I thought the newer EFI bikes was "suppose"to be better....I've also noticed that that fuel capacity is less now as well...my 05 bike for instance has a 3.25 gallon tank...a new Honda Shadow RS (which I like)...barely a 2 gallon capacity...and rated at 45-50mpg

I'm already paying an inflated gas price since no

one will get together to get rid of this ethanol

stupidity. It raised gas, food and transportation

costs all in one fell swoop. A liberal's wet dream.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shoot last I checked IF you can find NON ETHANOL gasoline...its more expensive than the crap with ethanol in it...its just a game to these jamokes

There a link in this thread for Non-E stations in your area but I know there are two stations at I40 and OHB. Both of them are across from MickeyD's.

I've been using the non ethanol "substitute" for

a while. Pure Gas is the name of an app that

finds stations. I've got a convenient station near me

and the car is supposed to use it anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guest Lester Weevils

Found a station only a couple miles from the house that sells unleaded 87 octane. Using one of those internet lists. The other place only sold ethanol free in the high octane pumps. I was getting worse mileage with the high octane non-ethanol gas than with standard octane ethanol.

A man on TGO said that most modern cars are made to run best on 87 ocatane and he was right on the money, at least about the Jeep. On the 87 octane non-ethanol I'm getting a good 2 mpg better than with 87 octane ethanol gas. It has been running frighteningly close to 20 mpg since its been running 87 octane non-ethanol. Rather unusual for the Wrangler to do that good. But if ya don't drive much, doesn't cost much regardless of gas prices.

This local station has the Pure sign as well. They looked like a mom&pop mechanic shop that just happened to have a couple of pumps out front. Never figured they were trying to sell gas. Real nice old folks run the place. The pumps are antiques that look like they are from the 1950's, but maybe only from the 1970's.

Edited by Lester Weevils

http://www.cnbc.com/id/46409075

HERE WE GO AGAIN,

"Historical oil volatility over the last 10 years shows that oil spikes are regular or cyclical. They happen every year or so, but of course the degree of the price spike varies," he said, adding that volatility in oil is trading below its 10-year average at the moment.

"From just a pure trading perspective, that suggests a growing probability of a price spike within months," William said.

Guest mustangdave

well get ready for a BIG SPIKE....Iran is cutting off countries in the EU because of UN sanctions, and Saudi Arabia is cutting production over all..just cause they can. and the Obama Administration will do NOTHING....

... and the Obama Administration will do NOTHING....

I am begining to believe that none of the politicians want to do anything about it. Obama and the dems won't do anything about it because they are in bed with enviro-kooks. Republicans don't really seem all that serious about doing anything. If the problem was solved, Republicans could no longer use the issue of high gas prices, foreign oil, etc... as a campaign platform to attack the other side.

I have gotten to the point that I honestly believe that we are being screwed from both sides of the aisle.

I don't believe there is much if anything any President can do about it.

Certainly, if our economy was strong...if our currency wasn't be printed like Monopoly Money...if we had been building refineries over the past 30 years...if we were doing all we could to develop our own oil resources...if our every move wan't held hostage to an out of control federal agency (EPA); then we would likely have some real control or at the very least, be in a much better position overall than we are now.

Obama's policies haven't helped and if fact have made things worse but I would suggest that we are seeing the inevitable results of 50+ years of bad decisions when it comes to our energy policy.