S&W SD40 couldn't resist

Guest kerank

Made the mistake of fondling the new SD40...didn't need it, but got it anyway. I guess I needed to get rid of some of that .40 ammo I had laying around ;-) Turns out, so far, this thing was the best find I've had in a while.

Ergos are spot on for me. This is one of the best feeling pistols I've had in my hand. Nice slim grip (slimmer than Glock and M&P), nice size (similar to G19 - somewhere between G19 and G17). Grip angle points naturally, and has the right amount of texture. To top it off, this is a great looking pistol too.

Took it to the range and ran 200 rounds of Blazer Brass and Monarch through it. Zero problems, and it shoots softer than G23 and G22. It shoots to point of aim, and is accurate (although, I didn't do any real accuracy testing at longer ranges - maybe next time).

While there are influences from both the M&P and Sigma, the trigger is a new design. The trigger is probably what most want to hear about. I'm not a "trigger snob". I've always favored Glock triggers for their short stroke and possitive reset. Glocks are easy to shoot fast, and tend to be forgiving to those that have less than excellent trigger control (myself included). The SD trigger is a longer stroke, more like a revolver stroke, but shorter and lighter than a double action revolver. Mine has an audible and tactile reset. It is a longer reset and not quite as possitive as a Glock trigger. I actually like it a lot. It is perfect for it's purpose, self defense. It's not a competition trigger. I had no trouble adjusting to it at all (I have owned and didn't like Sig's DAK, and HK's standard LEM).

The slide is Melonite (same as M&P I think), and has front slide serrations. It comes standard with a tritium front night sight, and both are steel. Rear site is strait from the M&P (it's marked M&P). Has standard rail.

So far I haven't found anything to dislike. It is certainly a great value for under $400; Made in the USA; S&W customer service, and comes with features that don't really need upgrading. It hasn't got a reliability track record yet, but given the fact that the M&P and later model Sigmas have very good reliability, I don't expect any problems. I'll keep shooting this one (maybe pick up a 9mm), and see if my opinion changes over the next few months.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been looking a

t those in 9mm for my wife. I like the version that comes with mag pouch holster and light for the rail. Seems like a pretty nice package. I have been concerned just because of it's relation to the Sigma. I have a friend who had a Sigma and it was not a very good gun. Certainly not up to S&W standards. But it sounds like they have worked the bugs out.

Disagree on the Sigma, unless you're referring to the older models. I have a SW9VE and it has been flawless. Say what you want about the trigger, but it's easy to get used to. Are there better choices? Of course, but for the money, the 9VE and 40VE are excellent weapons. As reliable and accurate as you can get for under $300.

That said, I find the new SD series very appealing and will probably pick up the 9mm at some point. I don't expect it to be in the same league with my M&Ps, but after handling one at a LGS, I'm fairly impressed with it.

Edited by DaddyO

Most sigma problems are user induced because of the long hard pull. DA revolver shooters usually shoot them well. Those who are used to shorter lighter SA triggers tend to flinch and end up pushing, pulling, and dropping shots.

I was first in line to get the SD40 and absolutely love mine. So much that I bought a SD9 to go along with it. Both have been flawless and shoot very well. Like you said, once I held it I knew I had to have one.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Wife bought me a SD40VE for birthday/Christmas. Had been wanting one since they came out. Haven't had time to shoot more than a couple of mags through it but liked it. My issue so far is not being able to find any 14 round mags. Anyone know where I can find any?