What's the deal with Powerball Ammo?

First let me say that I am a big fan of Critical Defense ammo. Prior to the introduction of CD my preference was Speer Gold Dot, Corbon DPX and Remington Golden Sabre ammo.

When I purchased the LCP on tuesday the young lady gave me a box of PMC and a box of Powerball ammo. I also purchased a box of Hydro Shox ammo since the store was out of CD. I had seen the Powerball ammo in the store before but never paid it much attention. I was also surprised that it cost as much as DPX ammo according to the sticker on the box.

I would like to know as much as anyone can tell me about the Powerball ammo. It is marketed as a defensive ammo that can penetrate glass and doors.

Thanks,

Links2k

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know anything about it, but I would hope most ammo can penetrate glass and doors... :D

I think one of the benefits of the power ball ammo is improved feeding if your gun doesn't like hollow-points. I've heard from other people that they feel really confident with it in the .380 mouse guns. I just carry FMJ in my LCP though, with a critical defense round in the chamber, just to be fancy.

--------

I don't know anything about it, but I would hope most ammo can penetrate glass and doors... :D

I think the concern here is laminated glass like windshields. Many brands of non-bonded hollow points will separate (lead from jacket) when they hit certain types of glass. There is a local LE agency around here who recently switched to bonded ammo. From what I heard, an LEO shot at a suspect who was trying to run him over, but the round came apart when it hit the windshield. Supposedly, the suspect ended up with a cut on the nose instead of a bullet through it. Don't know how true the story is (or what details may be wrong), but bullets separating is a reality.