Snubbies..

LngRngShtr

Was digging through the safe the other day and brought out a '61 Colt Det.Spl. got me wondering how many folks around here use or collect the old 2" .38's

Colt,S&W,Ruger old or new lets hear it for small and concealable revolvers :D

was also thinking of getting a Tyler T-grip adapter for it since the Pre'71 grips are a different size (longer) and grips seem harder to find..

John

Hmmm a S&W 640 is looking like a possible purchase since the old Colt is too nice to carry.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got an old S&W 10-5 38 special. While not exactly a carry gun it sure is nice and compact. The original grips were much easier to conceal but I shoot this thing a lot so I wanted something a little more comfortable. This little cannon was built in the 70's and the quality reflects that.......they truly don't make them like they used to.......

SW10-52.jpg

I recently traded a Rossi 461 for a S&W 642. I liked the Rossi, although I had it for less than a year. It was of better quality than some seem to think, IMO and it was a six shot snubbie in .357. My biggest reason for trading was that it was pretty bulky and heavy for a concealed handgun offering only six shots. I worried a bit about overpenetration in an urban setting with full-on .357 loads so really only carried .38+P in it, anyway. Since I have a Taurus 66 for when I need a larger .357, I decided that giving up one shot for a much lighter, more compact (and hammerless) revolver made sense. Well, that and I didn't own a S&W revolver and figured that everybody should have at least one.

I have and often carry semiautos but at heart I am largely a revolver guy - and the little snubbies just work so well for carry.

Edited by JAB

Like a lot of guys here, I prefer autoloaders, but have been coming back to snubbies and medium frame revolvers for fun basically. I do have a couple of Chiefs Specials. One from my father-in-law, and one of my dads old guns. Shoot them occasionally, but wouldn't part with them for the sentimental value. For range use I have a stainles Smith Model 66 that is a pleasure to shoot. Even found a nice current production Colt Agent that I just had to have. Now I'm thinking that I'd let it go and pick up another Smith...maybe a 617 in 4". I do find that i'm more accurate, at least in range shooting, with the revolvers than some , if not most of my autos.

I like the old Colt snubbies. I have owned Detectives Specials, Cobras, Agents and currently have a Banker's Special. One reason I like them is that they are a 6 shot revolver. Another reason is the Colt blueing is like no other in my opinion. And finally I like Colts because of their heritage. S&Ws are fine revolvers as well, I have just always been partial to Colts.

I like my old Colt Agent. I wish someone today would produce a high-quality small 6-shot .38 revolver without all the PC crap.

I have an old Colt Agent. I think it's a 2nd Gen model. It has the lug barrel and was produced back in the 70's. Got some finish wear, but it's a great shooting little pistol! I love Colts!

Guest Scramasax

Colt/Smith, cann't make up my mind, Have ds/cobra/agent/python bodyguard/chiefs special/657/357. On retro days I like to carry a pair of dick specials, Had the pockets lined with leather on a jacket. Read about this in a book once. It made sense to me. Sometimes carry pair of bodyguards, they both have metal belt clips.

Cheers,

ts

I've got an unfired 1966 Colt DS in the box with a JC Penney hang tag - yes, they sold guns back in the time (blue, un-shrouded ejector rod). I'm hanging on to it in hopes of using it as a trade against a Colt DS that is marked from the NY State Police - it would have NYST on the back strap.