.45 acp Mauser 98 using a Rhineland Kit and an ATI stock

zgunbear

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah you are right. Lot of work. It certainly is unique!

I think that a falling block or #1 action might be a better tinkering start for me. Of course a contender/encore or NEF would get me there cheaper....it sure wouldn't be as fun.

I like the idea of this project but have to agree with you on the Contender being easier. I have one sitting in the safe that needs a few more barrels anyway. The .222 barrel that is on it hardly gets shot anyway. I might just do that in the short term and leave this project for later down the road.

I like the idea of this project but have to agree with you on the Contender being easier. I have one sitting in the safe that needs a few more barrels anyway. The .222 barrel that is on it hardly gets shot anyway. I might just do that in the short term and leave this project for later down the road.

I have seen a surprising number of pistol caliber contenders with threaded barrels and cans. The ones in .44 mag shooting subsonic 240 grain lead are scary quiet. Only advice that I can give when getting your barrel - if you are going to shoot slow and surpressed make sure you get a fast enough twist on the barrel if you are going to be shooting heavy for caliber bullets. A 1 in 24" twist just won't work well with 300 grain .44 mag bullets or 200 grain .38 special bullets.

• 3 weeks later...

well old Mr Murphy reared his ugly mug. the synthetic stock is to deep for the magazine adapter to work. It will not feed reliably and If i position it so it does I can not use the mag catch.

So I am falling back to plan b. I will be using the wood stock for this kit.

If I can find another cheap large ring Mauser action I may try to use the synthetic stock to build one using Glock 21 mags. No I just have to inlet the wood stock blue the barrel and nut and solder on some sights.

• 2 months later...

Well I finally have it to a usable state

I used Brownell's Oxpho-Blue paste to blue it.

I bought an XS Sight system Clifton style scout rail and epoxied it to the barrel. I still need to finish the cosmetics but I want to shoot it some first.

I plan on using JB weld to fill the gaps between the front of the magazine adapter and the Mauser magazine box.

I plan on mounting a Mauser front sight and using a receiver mounted peep sight for a back up to the pistol scope.

the stock is going to be refinished but not sure what I will do to it yet.

45 acp will feed and eject, or least dummy rounds will. I will have to make a bullet guide out of brass and put it between the magazine and the feed ramp in the receiver that should make feeding 100%.

Here are a few pictures:

1306376686.jpg

1306376689.jpg

1306376690.jpg

Edited by zgunbear