Turkey Hunting

I can kill them with bow, just need some help calling them in and getting one with shotgun. I was calling one in last year, and he took off running for no reason. After investigating, we found a coke can laying on the ground is probably what sent him to running!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone tried turkey hunting from a tree stand? I have just secured a nice place to hunt, the only issue is it's only 6 acres. I have a ladder stand and was thinking of setting it up and doing my best to call them to me. Would the stand give me or the turkeys the advantage? I am green at this, so any help would be appreciated.

Guest Jcochran88
Has anyone tried turkey hunting from a tree stand? I have just secured a nice place to hunt, the only issue is it's only 6 acres. I have a ladder stand and was thinking of setting it up and doing my best to call them to me. Would the stand give me or the turkeys the advantage? I am green at this, so any help would be appreciated.

I have killed several during the fall from a stand during archery season, but have never set up a stand to try during the spring. One of the things that I love about turkey hunting is the ability to as they say run and gun.

I'd go with a ground blind over a tree stand. 6 acres is plenty, so long as you got turkey near. You can call a tom to you, that is the old fashioned way, and it still works. Run and Gun is more versatile and the way I like to hunt. But if I had 6 acres, I would try to pattern any crossing birds or find out where the birds are nearby, and call to them to convince them to head your way. May work, may not work. You just have to get out there and give it a go for a couple days.

Guest BEARMAN

Advantage>>>turkeys. You'll be seen, especially if you're trying to call them in from a deer stand. They will be able to pinpoint exactly where that phantom hen is calling from. You'll fare much better backed up sitting at the base of a large tree, or in a ground blind. IMO

Good luck, be safe, shoot straight.

-Bearman

Advantage>>>turkeys. You'll be seen, especially if you're trying to call them in from a deer stand. They will be able to pinpoint exactly where that phantom hen is calling from. You'll fare much better backed up sitting at the base of a large tree, or in a ground blind. IMO

Good luck, be safe, shoot straight.

-Bearman

I would have to agree.

Guest Jcochran88
So McFlurry, gonna return the favor and let me see your farm this year or do I have to drag you down to the bottom lands of Wayne Co.? I'd ask Bronker but he's got threads to mod and can't be seen speaking with us in public no more.

Oh yeah we can get together and slay some!!

I would have to agree.

Biggest bird I ever got was from a tree stand. My son was in his own next to me and was only as high up as I could push the footrest up as he was still a bit of a tike. Shot the bird, told him to go get his bird and he just dropped to the foot rest of the stand, hung like a monkey and dropped to the ground rather than wait for me to climb down and "lower" him. If I get the chance, I'll hunt from up above again. When the birds are hot, they don't care, they will come to you dragging your fingernails across a chaulk board.

Biggest bird I ever got was from a tree stand. My son was in his own next to me and was only as high up as I could push the footrest up as he was still a bit of a tike. Shot the bird, told him to go get his bird and he just dropped to the foot rest of the stand, hung like a monkey and dropped to the ground rather than wait for me to climb down and "lower" him. If I get the chance, I'll hunt from up above again. When the birds are hot, they don't care, they will come to you dragging your fingernails across a chaulk board.

I just like being on the ground close up eye to eye. I hunt deer the same way. Just something about getting down to their level.

Thanks for everyone's advice on the tree stand. I am now going to put up a portable ground blind instead. I actually went to Dick's Sporting Goods yesterday because they had some nice ones advertised in the Sunday sale paper. I was quite suprised upon arrival that the Hunting department was almost empty. I will try to make it up to Bass Pro this weekend and pick one up. Good luck to everyone hunting this spring and be safe.

I got a report from a hunting buddy today, he saw a hen laying down for a big boss gobbler. I can't believe hens are ready to breed already! He also saw about 10 good gobblers in total. I don't think I am going to make it till April....

Guest BEARMAN

I had about 20 hens and 1 big gobbler in the field this morning before the rain set in. Big 'ol gobbler was all puffed up and struttn' his stuff. Didn't hear any gobbling though, just a few yelps here and there.

Good show, however.:D

All Tennessee counties are open to wild turkey hunting including WMAs and refuges unless specifically listed.

Statewide Spring Turkey Season

April 2 - May 15, 2011

Bag Limits

One (1) bearded turkey per day, not to exceed four (4) per season. Turkeys taken on all quota hunts and specially designated WMAs are bonus turkeys.

Spring Turkey Shooting Hours

Thirty (30) minutes before sunrise to sunset.

Cheatham WMA Youth Turkey Hunt

Statewide Spring Young Sportsman Hunt

March 26-27, 2011 (ages 6 through 16). One (1) bearded turkey which counts toward statewide bag unless taken on a WMA where turkeys are designated as bonus birds. Each youth must be accompanied by a nonhunting adult, 21 years of age or older, who must remain in a position to take immediate control of the hunting device, who is not required to

have a license.

Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency - Turkey