Tenn. Measure OKs Guns At Work

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 6.8 AR

Hey, Bev! You ever heard of a guy named John Lott? He has studied a lot of what you don't

understand. Maybe you should read some of his stuff.

I hope this makes it. With the several states talking about college students ability to carry, it

would be a good thing to add.

Employers could already allow HCP holders to carry at work simply by not prohibiting it, couldn't they? Not sure what this bill does for anyone other than to reinforce what already exists.

The one I really want to see passed is the parking lot bill. That would finally allow me to carry more than just on weekends.

Another misleading headline. The bill that passed the senate SB0519 Tennessee General Assembly » Legislation isn't the "parking lot" bill or a bill that would force anyone to allow carry. It simply says IF an employers doesn't post per 39-17-1359 that fact does not create an occupational health and safety hazard.

This is the bill to address the lawsuit brought by some restaraunt employees who said they felt "unsafe" because their employer didn't post.

Another misleading headline. The bill that passed the senate SB0519 Tennessee General Assembly » Legislation isn't the "parking lot" bill or a bill that would force anyone to allow carry. It simply says IF an employers doesn't post per 39-17-1359 that fact does not create an occupational health and safety hazard.

This is the bill to address the lawsuit brought by some restaraunt employees who said they felt "unsafe" because their employer didn't post.

Exactly, This is NOT what most of us know as a "parking lot" bill. This bill does not require an employer to allow a HCP holder to keep a firearm in his or her car while it is parked on their employers parking lot. For all practical purposes, it is in my opinion only a resolution by the General Assembly stating that IF an employer allows employees to keep firearms in their private vehicles, it does not constitute a hazard.

While this may be helpful in getting a real parking lot bill passed, it does not do what a parking lot bill will do.

I don't think we need another useless law on the books. We already have the option of carrying at work, as long as our employer does not object. I do not see how this bill can do anything except generate controversy. If I were a business owner/manager I sure would not want another law running my business. Instead of making new laws, I suggest our "law makers" become "law repealer's" and remove the host of laws currently on the books.

Was there some kind of state occupational safety law on the books that implies allowing guns in the work place is a hazard? Since this doesn’t force allowing anyone to carry, and doesn’t seem to limit liability; it appears it addresses some other issue.

Guest friesepferd

There ARE many companies out there that are afriad of letting people carry at work because someone might sue them stating its a hazard at work.

This will not force companies to allow people to carry, but it will at least get rid of that small threat.

I'm sure it won't do anything for most people, but its a small step in the right direction.

I wonder how this would pertain to a company handbook. Mine states that I cannot carry at work.

This bill doesn't change that at all....

This bill simply says IF a company allows carry at work...that fact alone does not constitute a health/safety hazard as some have claimed in TOSHA proceedings.

I don't think we need another useless law on the books. We already have the option of carrying at work, as long as our employer does not object. I do not see how this bill can do anything except generate controversy. If I were a business owner/manager I sure would not want another law running my business. Instead of making new laws, I suggest our "law makers" become "law repealer's" and remove the host of laws currently on the books.

This is not necessarily useless.

This to address an issue that came up after the law change.

Sort of like there was talk of beer boards requiring places to post before they would issue a license to sell beer. So the legislature added an amendment to the bill that allowed LEOs to carry where alcohol is served, that said a beer board can't do that.

Well after the latest law change, there was a worked in a restaurant that instituted a proceeding with TOSHA that said because their employer didn't post that it created a hazardous work environment. TOSHA dismissed that claim, but said each claim would have to be judged on it's own...so they left they door open that such a claim could be justified in a different location. So this bill is to address that and say BY LAW that the lack of a posting doesn't create a hazardous workplace.

Was there some kind of state occupational safety law on the books that implies allowing guns in the work place is a hazard? Since this doesn’t force allowing anyone to carry, and doesn’t seem to limit liability; it appears it addresses some other issue.

No, but there was a case brought before TOSHA that said it was...and although they dismissed that claim, they said each case would have to be judged on its own and didn't blanketly say that it didn't create a hazard.

So this bill would blanketly say that allowing carry doesn't create a hazardous work environment.

Exactly, This is NOT what most of us know as a "parking lot" bill. This bill does not require an employer to allow a HCP holder to keep a firearm in his or her car while it is parked on their employers parking lot. For all practical purposes, it is in my opinion only a resolution by the General Assembly stating that IF an employer allows employees to keep firearms in their private vehicles, it does not constitute a hazard.

While this may be helpful in getting a real parking lot bill passed, it does not do what a parking lot bill will do.

Yeah...I head the blurp on the radio about it this morning.

I almost wonder if this was to "test the waters" on the parking lot carry bill. To see what, if any, feedback they get from it. Because just reading the article or hearing the radio you'd think they are forcing employers to allow carry.

Yeah...I head the blurp on the radio about it this morning.

I almost wonder if this was to "test the waters" on the parking lot carry bill. To see what, if any, feedback they get from it. Because just reading the article or hearing the radio you'd think they are forcing employers to allow carry.

I have not heard or seen anything about it yet in the Memphis area media. (Which REALLY surprises me). My real concern now is that with the misleading headline, when the REAL parking lot bill comes up, it will become a media feeding frenzy. I had kind of hoped that we could keep some of our bills a bit more low profile this session. Speaker Harwell made some pretty hard comments about pro-gun bills this session and in-your-face media coverage will make it hard for her to help us if she ever was going to. She has a "promise" to keep and if she has to knock us down to do it, I am sure she will.

It never ceases to amaze me how wrong a news agency can get a story or how they'll twist a headline until it does or can easily misrepresent what the story actually says - this story got even more outrageously wrong as it was picked up and altered by other news outlets.

Edited by RobertNashville

The poll next to the story asks "Should individuals with handgun permits be allowed to carry their weapons where they work?". Again, it seems they are trying to make people believe this is the issue being discussed in the story. I admit, it is related. By the way, "yes" is ahead by a large margin.

It also deals the employers responsibility by OSHA/TOSHA to reduce and eliminate occupational hazards in the workplace. For women at work, the number one cause of death is a gunshot.

Where does it say anything about that?

Here is the complete text of the biill (As amended)

BE IT ENACTED BY THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF THE STATE OF TENNESSEE:

SECTION 1. Tennessee Code Annotated, Section 50-3-201, is amended by adding the following new subsection (d):

(d) The decision of an individual, corporation, business entity or local, state or federal government entity, or agent thereof, not to post property pursuant to § 39-17-1359, thereby allowing persons with handgun permits to carry a handgun on such property, does not constitute an occupational safety and health hazard within the jurisdiction of this chapter.

SECTION 2. This act shall take effect upon becoming a law, the public welfare requiring it.

It just passed out of committee in the House. Only two No votes comming from two reps from Memphis, no surprise there. The sponsor also took a good pot shot at the media for the misleading reports and headlines yesterday stating that he wondered if they had a literacy problem. I watched the video of the committee proceedings live. The usual distracting questions from members who ultimately voted against it. Again, no surprise.

It also deals the employers responsibility by OSHA/TOSHA to reduce and eliminate occupational hazards in the workplace. For women at work, the number one cause of death is a gunshot.

I am curious about the source of your "statistic". Also, it is generally accepted that OSHA/TOSHA exists to promote and enforce safe workplace laws and rules. However this law does not change this responsibility of OSHA/TOSHA. All this law does is give clarification and direction as to what does NOT consititute a workplace hazard.

It just passed out of committee in the House. Only two No votes comming from two reps from Memphis, no surprise there. The sponsor also took a good pot shot at the media for the misleading reports and headlines yesterday stating that he wondered if they had a literacy problem. I watched the video of the committee proceedings live. The usual distracting questions from members who ultimately voted against it. Again, no surprise.

Good deal. Yep..no surpise about No votes... Glad he also addressed the media story on it..

I have also checked the link again to the TV report. AMAZING, the headline has been edited and the remarks from Beverly Merrero of Memphis is gone. Also the survey they have asking if employees should be able to keep weapons at work, the "yes" votes outnumber the "NO" votes 544 to 281 right now.