Kimber Solo

WME

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest gw2and4

Have held one twice. Demo only gun at Franklin Gun two weeks ago, and a for-sale gun at Guns and Leather Greenbrier this past Friday.

Can't say how it shoots, but the feel seemed much more solid than the polymer pocket guns I've handled in the past (usual suspects being LCP, P3AT, PM9, etc.) probably because it's an alloy frame. Trigger wasn't bad. Ambi safety operated well. Mag release not so much, leading me to comment "I sure hope 7 rounds of 124-grain +P gets it done, 'cause I'd hate to reload this b**ch under pressure." The most excited I've ever been about a pocket pistol. Can't wait to shoot one, even if I have to buy one to do it. Will probably get the all-silver model and let my wife borrow it for her purse gun. She likes the look of a stainless gun and I can't blame her! :)

Sent from my iPhone 4

Have held one twice. Demo only gun at Franklin Gun two weeks ago, and a for-sale gun at Guns and Leather Greenbrier this past Friday.

Can't say how it shoots, but the feel seemed much more solid than the polymer pocket guns I've handled in the past (usual suspects being LCP, P3AT, PM9, etc.) probably because it's an alloy frame. Trigger wasn't bad. Ambi safety operated well. Mag release not so much, leading me to comment "I sure hope 7 rounds of 124-grain +P gets it done, 'cause I'd hate to reload this b**ch under pressure." The most excited I've ever been about a pocket pistol. Can't wait to shoot one, even if I have to buy one to do it. Will probably get the all-silver model and let my wife borrow it for her purse gun. She likes the look of a stainless gun and I can't blame her! :)

Sent from my iPhone 4

Did you dry fire? If so, how was the trigger?

Guest gw2and4
Did you dry fire? If so, how was the trigger?

Trigger pull seemed smooth, probably around 6 or 7 lbs. Travel maybe a little longer than I'd want, but I could live with it in a pocket gun. Honestly, I'm not very familiar with pocket gun trigger pulls...and I didn't do any A:B comparisons against the LCP, PM9 or P3AT. Guess you could call that an A:B/C/D comparison if specificity is your thing... I'm hopeful the thing will shoot as well as it feels like it will. No night sight option apparently, either. So I'm hoping that Crimson Trace comes out soon with grips for it. Because I'm sure we're all excited to spend $300 on top of a $700 pocket gun, right? :)

They had one for sale? I've almost ordered one on Bud's but would rather buy one in person. How much were they asking?

Sent from my iPhone 4

Guest gw2and4
They had one for sale? I've almost ordered one on Bud's but would rather buy one in person. How much were they asking?

Call Robert at G&L to verify, but I think it was marked at $695.

Guest 10mm4me

There are a few range vids of this thing out there. A really good review can be found @ www.averagejoeshandgunreview.com (google that, I may have spelled wrong). Supposedly it only works with 124gr or larger ammo, due to the heavy slide weight. It looks like a nice update on the Colt 1903 which it is obviously modeled after. I personally would never spend $700 on a single stack 9mm w/7rd capacity that has reliability issues right out of the gate. The last time Kimber strayed from the 1911 it became the Ruger SR9 (remember the Kimber KPD 40).

Guest MrCleaner30

Anyone know the best place to buy a SOLO (either online or locally)? I've heard as low as $650 online but they usually sell out pretty quick being as new as they are. Right now people are paying MSRP or more which is ridiculous. Street prices are suppose to be 15%-20% less aren't they? In that case your looking at $580-$615 and I doubt that will ever happen...:-(

Anyone know the best place to buy a SOLO (either online or locally)? I've heard as low as $650 online but they usually sell out pretty quick being as new as they are. Right now people are paying MSRP or more which is ridiculous. Street prices are suppose to be 15%-20% less aren't they? In that case your looking at $580-$615 and I doubt that will ever happen...:-(

Paying MSRP is pretty normal for a just-introduced, hard to get, hot item. I have seen MSRP+ for some really in-demand items. I have seen one local store selling the Solo for $699, which is just under MSRP, and they have pre-sold about 6 or 7 at that price. Will the prices come down? Sure. But you are going to have to wait for that.

Having played (not fired) a little with the Solo, I have to say I really like it. It seems solid and well built. I would like to have one, but I am going to wait a while before I purchase for two reasons: I am going to wait for the price to come down, and to make sure all the bugs are worked out. This is a radical departure from what Kimber normally makes, so I want to make sure everything is good to go.

Guest MrCleaner30

My thoughts exactly. I think I'll do the same. Thanks

Paying MSRP is pretty normal for a just-introduced, hard to get, hot item. I have seen MSRP+ for some really in-demand items. I have seen one local store selling the Solo for $699, which is just under MSRP, and they have pre-sold about 6 or 7 at that price. Will the prices come down? Sure. But you are going to have to wait for that.

Having played (not fired) a little with the Solo, I have to say I really like it. It seems solid and well built. I would like to have one, but I am going to wait a while before I purchase for two reasons: I am going to wait for the price to come down, and to make sure all the bugs are worked out. This is a radical departure from what Kimber normally makes, so I want to make sure everything is good to go.

New guns are just like new cars....everyone rushes to get them initially and the sellers breathe a sigh of relief they don't have to sell them close to a loss to get em out the door. I remember when I worked at Nissan and the 350z came out the dealer was making $3500 a pop and the salesman were getting around $1,000 commission each which was a far cry from the at cost/below cost sentra/altima/fill in the blank where the dealer got $700 hold back and the salesman made a paltry $75.00 but I digress....point being if you want the newest toy expect to pay out the nose....patience pays.