"Mini" fishing rod as a possible survival tool?

As I posted in the Hunting forum, we were in Dick's at Cedar Bluff this weekend and that location is doing away with the hunting and fishing department. We were told that all the fishing rods were 25% off. I saw some 'mini' rods, complete with light spinner reels, in a display at the end of the counter. Normal price was $14.99 but they were included in the 25% off just like the other rods. At first, I thought of buying one as a novelty. Then I started thinking about the places on the Tellico River and it's tributaries (where I like to trout fish) where the foliage is often dense enough that it is difficult or even impossible to cast with even a 'normal' short, light action setup. Then I started thinking about all the times my wife and I have been out just driving around when I wished that I had brought a fishing rod to throw a line in when we happen to come across a place where it looks like the fishing might be pretty good. Finally, I thought of the 'stranded survival' bag that I have been wanting to put together to keep in my vehicle. I thought that, in an area near a body of water that has fish, with a small, plastic box with hooks, sinkers, a small float and maybe a rooster tail, jig and/or fly or two, along with bugs, grubs or worms gathered from the bank, this thing could probably feed someone a meal or two of panfish. I ended up buying two and my wife got one.

I took a couple of pics of one of them laying on the tailgate of my truck. I included a 'normal' light spinning rig (Ugly Stick) as well as a 'standard' sized, medium spinning rig (Eagle Claw) in the pic for size reference.

I am sure that there are any number of other solutions for survival fishing - including simply cutting a limber branch from a tree - but my feeling is that this will be useful beyond it's possible 'survival' application. Also, I feel that having this thing around were I ever to be in such a situation would probably boost my morale which is something the 'experts' say counts for a lot.

IMG00488-20110301-1115.jpg

IMG00485-20110301-1114.jpg

IMG00486-20110301-1114.jpg

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin Team

Having a small spinning rod in a Level III pack is a potential game changer.

Yes, there are a lot of methods available for survival fising. Some of them are pretty efficient, some aren't. They all have their place. A gill net, improvised trot line or fish trap can all be great for gathering food while you're doing something else. A fishing pole, though is an active, efficient manner of catching fish.

No doubt about it, it can save your life. And, as you said, it is an active morale booster.

And, as you said, it is an active morale booster.

THIS.

Something wrong with a man who don't like fishing. You might be starving and dependent on the catch but a part of you will relax and that is ALWAYS good in a high stress situation.

...Normal price was $14.99 but they were included in the 25% off just like the other rods. ...

I happened to buzz by there last night, and shelves were almost bare, BUT I did get a couple of Martin fly rod outfits, a Zebco spin outfit, and two of the above little outfits you describe, all at 50% off (which probably puts them at about the right price to begin with :up:)

Meaning to move down on the lake before too long, plus for some cheap SHTF additional fishing capacity, just couldn't resist.

Sadly, all made in China (even the Martins).

All gun stuff/ammo gone, cept for some scopes, which were not on sale. Neither was the (mostly Buck and Gerber) knife selection.

- OS

Guest Hoppy

I am confident that having that rig will be easier than trying to spear the fish with a sharpened stick or trying to catch them with your bare hands. Plus, you got it at a good price. And, as a bonus, now that it is part of your survival gear you can tell your wife that you aren't fishing just for sport, but you are practicing survival skills. That is important.

Have you looked for or considered a telescoping rod? Collapsed its about 12-16in long, but extends out to a full size rod. I have one I use for my ultralight reel and it works great. Should fit perfectly in a pack or behind a seat.

telescopic-fishing-pole.jpgtelescopic-fishing-pole.jpg

Have you looked for or considered a telescoping rod? Collapsed its about 12-16in long, but extends out to a full size rod. I have one I use for my ultralight reel and it works great. Should fit perfectly in a pack or behind a seat.

I like this. I would think that a trot line scheme would be better if you're trying to survive off the land. But if you gotta go after fish one at a time, you may need a rod with some length.

Guest Michael.G

i have a cheap 5ft break down rod that I take on hiking/camping trips. i a have a small dry box with tackle in it ,and the reel i put in my pack. I got a small piece of PVC pipe rigged up on my back-pack that holds the rod. it works pretty excellent.

I have had a couple of collapsible fishing rods. After just a very few uses - especially if a decent sized or good fighting fish ended up on the end of the line, they tend to not want to collapse correctly and got broken when I applied, um, a little, gentle pressure. The ones I had were cheapos, though - better quality ones probably wouldn't have the same problems.

I still have a little Zebco setup that collapses and has it's own little hard plastic carrying case that could also hold some tackle. I find, though, that when it comes to light action rigs I do better with solid rods rather than collapsible or sectional ones (though sectional rods that come apart near the handle rather than closer to the middle of the rod work pretty well.) I think I get a better 'feel' for strikes and that the solid rod gives a little less 'slack' (for lack of a better term) in the rod, itself, for the fish to be able to get away. Being a bank fisherman used to dealing with smaller, lighter striking panfish (we used to have a boat and I never did any good fishing from it) I think that is an important thing to consider with regards to fishing from the bank.

Dangit, I haven't been fishing as much in the last year or two as I previously had. All this talk about fishing gear, etc. has me wanting to go really soon!

There's only one choice, The Pocket Fisherman!

pocket-fisherman.jpg

- OS

Before I got into buying firearms, I was into buying fishing rods (not pristine collector's pieces but, as with the firearms I like to buy, things I might actually use) and I have one of those, somewhere (the plastic 'body' on mine is a light blue color.) I bought it a few years ago for something like ten bucks at the big, roadside 'flea market' that is held annually in August (I was looking for some of the old Mitchell reels but couldn't pass the little Pocket Fisherman up.) I bought it partly as a novelty and partly because I thought it would make a useful item to keep in a vehicle, just in case. It is fun to play with and I've caught a few, little bluegill with it - works better than you might think - but I think the mini rig I just bought will work better and be less complicated to use.

Edited by JAB

Don't know what brand that rod is, it was just the first image I found to illustrate what I was talking about. I've had the one I use since i was about 10 and its held up all these years so I'd say a decent quality one would probably hold up for a least a little while. I've caught bream, trout, crappie and smaller bass on mine and its held up pretty well, but like I said it's set up more along the lines of an ultra light. I figure though in a survival situation it will do fine for me and is better than nothing.

[regarding Pocket Fisherman]

...and I have one of those, somewhere (the plastic 'body' on mine is a light blue color.) I bought it a few years ago f... It is fun to play with and I've caught a few, little bluegill with it - works better than you might think -

Oh, I had one years ago, kept in the trunk, caught dozens of various fish with it down in the keys, including a couple of bonnet sharks in the 25 lb. range.

- OS

There's only one choice, The Pocket Fisherman!

pocket-fisherman.jpg

- OS

I grew up catching all kinds of fish on one of those, lived in FL for a while and my brother and I would fish all day long :rolleyes:, and have a fish fry at night. I liked them so much I bought 2 when I set up my and my wifes BOB.

Have you thought about a Hobo Fishing kit made out of sch 40 PVC pipe.

A trip to the local Big Box Store for what you need. I bet you can make

one with tackle for under $10. If you have to have a pole, nature supplies

a variety of shapes and sizes.

Here is a Youtube video of one being made.

YouTube - pocket fishing kit pt1

Here's another is a fish being caught on a Hobo Fishing Kit, 9 1/2lb catfish.

Edited by Moped
You guys have GOT to be kidding about the "pocket fisherman" right? RIGHT?

Nope, actually a good little unit. Now you ain't gonna catch any big cats or BM bass (well maybe a small one) with it but for survival fishing it's the berries. ;)

Guest Big C

I have had my collapsible fishing rod in my go bag for many of years now, and I use it alot seeing that it is always in my car. Very good rods to have. I also keep in my go bag 15 lbs. test line for other things, how ever with the other tackle I can always use a good stick. Just my :2cents: worth.

You guys have GOT to be kidding about the "pocket fisherman" right? RIGHT?

No, works okay within reason and can be pretty handy, mainly due to compact nature.

A conventional fishing rod is a quite fragile thing survival-wise.

- OS

A conventional fishing rod is a quite fragile thing survival-wise.

- OS

This is wisdom.

Don't laugh, but I have thought about walking staffs for survival. Years and years in the BSA proved to me what a friend a staff can be. SO, what if a man were to make a staff from heavy walled PVC and stash a really slim fishing rod in it?? I don't know how clumsy a capped [both ends] PVC pipe would be.:)

My current staff, a 7ft (!*!) ash that I have tapered on one end to take a frog gig/fish spear, or an attachment I made that lets me use it like a cane pole. Feeling is severely limited due to it's rigidity, but hey it'll work.

(!*!) Special note for any who have no bad "walking stick" experience. If your walking stick/staff is not taller than you, you're begging for impalement. Trust me, I've seen it on a 20 mile hike around Virgin Falls. It also limits it's alternative uses.