.22 AR's Please Help

Jax970

I'm trying to do my homework before my next purchase. I want to get a .22 AR of some sort. My preference is a .22 upper that will fit on any standard lower. I will consider a complete rifle, but I want it to be as close to a "real" AR as possible. What should I get? I hear good things about Spike's uppers and S&W complete rifles. I don't want a conversioin kit. I will use it for squirrel hunting, general plinking, etc. It is unlikely that I will complete with it, but I do like good accuracy. Thanks in advance!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest nosnos

I vote for 15/22 as well. AR functionality without the unneccesary (for a .22) weight and price of an actual dedicated AR in .22LR.

Love mine!

--------

he said he didnt want a conversion. I dont blame him. I dont like conversion. Not in ARs that i will be using for HD or 3gun. Besides the barrel twist is not optimal for .22lr.

I vote for a S&W 15-22 MOE. It is a sweet rifle. This will be my next .22lr purchase. Hopefully summer.

CMMG makes an excellent upper in 22 lr that is the same weight as a 223 upper.

Dedicated .22LR Uppers CMMG Inc. AR15 Rifles, Parts and Accessories. .22 LR Dedicated AR-15 Rifles, Dedicated AR 15 9mm Rifles and Uppers, Tactical Bacon

The kits are fine for most people but the best my conversion has ever shot was about 1" at 25 yards. My dedicated upper built using a CMMG barrel will do that at 50 yards easily.

Dolomite

I went to the last Camp Jordan gunshow fully intending to buy the new 1522. Even though we reload .223 my grandkids can rip through whatever amount they load. I make them reload everything they shoot now, even to shoot Cowboy. I found the Target Master conversion for sale. They told me it would drop right into my Bushmaster and shoot first time every time. They even offered to refund my money if I wasn't happy. We have shot through two full bricks of .22 and are starting on another. It doesn't like the cheap Walmart Federal bulk ammo, but then neither does my Walther P22. There is the occasional FTF but it's rare. I've been really happy with it.

Cherokee Slim

Guest iScream
CMMG makes an excellent upper in 22 lr that is the same weight as a 223 upper.

Dedicated .22LR Uppers CMMG Inc. AR15 Rifles, Parts and Accessories. .22 LR Dedicated AR-15 Rifles, Dedicated AR 15 9mm Rifles and Uppers, Tactical Bacon

The kits are fine for most people but the best my conversion has ever shot was about 1" at 25 yards. My dedicated upper built using a CMMG barrel will do that at 50 yards easily.

Dolomite

After researching options, the CMMG dedicated is what I'm probably going to do. I'm planning to build a 22LR and .233 that are as much alike as possible other than caliber. The second choice for me would be from Spikes, but CMMG has a better price and seems to have just as high quality. Both apparently offer upgraded barrels if you want to get even tighter groups but I plan to use these firing from the shoulder only so I want them light and 0.2 MOA accuracy just isn't important enough to me to add weight and cose to the builds.

-Chris

Thanks for everyone's input. So far the options that are floating to the top are a complete SW 15-122, a CMMG upper and a Tactical Solutions upper. The S&W is good, and from what I hear, CMMG makes a good product, but I'm not familiar with Tactical Solutions. Can anyone speak to the quality of Tactical Solutions? They are rather expensive.

TacSol is proud of their products but they make a very nice product. I haven't every handled one of their AR kits but the markII and 10/22 stuff I've seen has been very nice.

Personally, I am in the midst of an AR22 build myself and will be using a CMMG upper.

TacSol barrels are not known to be accurate considering how much they cost. On average their rifle barrels run 1" groups or larger at 50 yards which is about the same as most factory Ruger barrels, maybe a bit worse. I have one of their PacLite uppers on my 22/45 and really like it but it isn't without its problems either. The threads weren't concentric to the bore and the barrel liner became exposed after some use.

The aluminum breech face got pounded back enough that the barrel liner was getting exposed to a point that I was afraid of slam fires. It was exposed enough to be noticeable both by looking at it and feeling it. On a good note Tactical Solutions replaced it without question but this was probably because it was in fact that bad. You can see in the picture below how much the barrel liner was exposed after the aluminum breech face was pounded with the steel bolt. In their defense it did have a lot of rounds through it but IMHO it is a design flaw to have a breech face made of aluminum when the bolt is steel.

IMG_2134.jpg

I would buy PacLite or TrailLite pistol barrels but I would pass on anything rifle related, especially their lightweight barrels. I would pass mostly becaues the only thing they offer is a lightweight barrel. The accuracy isn't great and for the money there iare better, lighter choices out there for around the same money

Dolomite

TacSol is proud of their products but they make a very nice product. I haven't every handled one of their AR kits but the markII and 10/22 stuff I've seen has been very nice.

Personally, I am in the midst of an AR22 build myself and will be using a CMMG upper.

What made you choose the CMMG? What other manufacturers did you consider?

I've owned CMMG products in the past and have been pleased with both the products and service that I have received. I thought about going with tacsol, spikes or ati for a dedicated upper.

The ATI got ruled out because its polymer. I just don't want a polymer upper.

Tacsol was ruled out based on price.

Spikes was also ruled out on price. But if CMMG wasn't an option, this is where I spend my money. They also don't offer anything other than a 16 barrel.

CMMG is the only one that offers the 20 inch barrel that I want. They are also, to my knowledge, the only ones that offer a functional bolt hold open and forward assist.

I sold my cmmg .22 drop in bolt after it kept blowing smoldering powder back in my face. And fired a round that was only halfway chambered. They are dangerous IMHO.

Love Spikes but high prices and long delivery times suck! The CMMG Quebec looks great and is priced to sell!

Guest iScream

I ordered a complete Sierra Evolution upper from CMMG tonight with pretty much all the little upgrades they offer. Once it get's here and I get a lower built for it, make your way to CHMR some time and you can try it out for yourself. It will probably be a month before I have all the parts and have a rifle together that's ready to shoot.

-Chris

have the S&W AR15-22. love it. it allows me to shoot while my kids shoot and train on the cheep. very accurate, "Match" barrel, and seems to eat everything i feed it. and i'm cheep.

if it was just me and the kids didn't love it so much, i'd probably go in this order of preference:

Spikes dedicated upper

Spikes .22 bolt conversion

S&W AR 15-22

have the S&W AR15-22. love it. it allows me to shoot while my kids shoot and train on the cheep. very accurate, "Match" barrel, and seems to eat everything i feed it. and i'm cheep.

if it was just me and the kids didn't love it so much, i'd probably go in this order of preference:

Spikes dedicated upper

Spikes .22 bolt conversion

S&W AR 15-22

Those are popular choices. Have you ever considered CMMG? If so, what were the pros and cons to you?

Guest iScream
Chris,

Thanks for the offer. I'm from West Tennessee so I'm not familiar with CHMR. What is that? Also, do you know any Paxton's in Spring Hill?

Charlie Haffner Memorial Range. It's the gun range over here by Spring Hill where I shoot. I just moved to Spring Hill from Texas last year and don't know many people close by here at all.

-Chris