WD-40 is the best!

Guest GunTroll

Guest GunTroll

At gumming your firearm up! Not sure if you got the memo but its not for firearm lubrication. It has however kept a steady flow of customers coming in for repairs which turn out to be nothing more than a deep clean. Thanks WD-40 for keeping the lights on!

Just thought I'd share my distaste for the stuff. Carry on.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18
I certainly have never used it on my weapons, and never will, but there are people who swear that it works. Wonder why it works for some and not for others?

They've just been lucky I suppose.

I use Rem oil, what do you guns recommend?

I'm a little unconventional in my lubricants. I either use Mobile 1 20W-50 Full Synthetic or Mobile 1 Synthetic Grease depending on the application.

I certainly have never used it on my weapons, and never will, but there are people who swear that it works. Wonder why it works for some and not for others?

It works if you clean your gun a LOT --- someone who shoots once a week and cleans afterward, for example, will never have the problems. I don't use it, heck I dont even use it for rusty parts (kroil seems to be better), but the guys that use it probably get away with it by keeping a fresh coat down.

Guest bkelm18
:rolleyes: Don't they oils specifically for guns?

They also make motor oil specifically for motors, just saying. :rolleyes:

I trust Mobile 1 in my engine running a couple thousand RPM for 5-10,000 miles. I'll trust it on my firearms. :) And it's cheaper.

Guest GunTroll

I can't make comments on the above recommendations (they sound good to me) but WD-40 in my experience and perhaps the quantity applied, gums up and leaves are real sticky residue that hinders smooth metal to metal movement. I also think WD-40 is effected by the weather. Mostly the cold.

On the motor oil thing......I had a PLT SGT that use to open up our 50's and pour in whatever type oil we put in our Humvee. I hated that for the privates who had to cleanup later for my inspection upon turn in to the arms room. Poor bastards.

What does WD stand for......? It ain't lubricate. What about the 40? Anyone?

Guest packingheat

WD = Water Dispersant

Think the 40 may be their 40th formula tried during development, but not sure.

Close GunTroll?

Guest bkelm18
WD = Water Dispersant

Think the 40 may be their 40th formula tried during development, but not sure.

Close GunTroll?

Yep. WD-40 actually stands for Water Displacement- 40th Attempt. It's a corrosion inhibitor, not a lubricant. It does have temporary lubrication properties, so it's handy for that squeaky hinge, etc.

Guest GunTroll

It works well for displacing water in the last step after I hot salt blue steel and thats about all the use it has for me around my shop. There are other products that do the same thing WD does but for my purpose but WD is priced right. Kwik seal from Du-Lite is probably the best for my use but its pricey and shipping sucks. WD is sold everywhere at about 14 a gallon. I need five to fill my tank. Brownell's sells a WD type oil that I believe is just WD-40 for around 82.99 retail a gallon. No thanks.

Kroil is the best penetrate oil I have found for stubborn bolts/screws/nipples/breech plugs/ etc.

I have tried sooooo many oils for firearm lubrication and there are many to choose from. One firearm may get three different oils on it if it comes out of my shop for repair or a deep clean.

Guest GunTroll
Always heard WD-40 was mostly kerosene but it's fish oil I think.

A MSDS search would answer that.

I asked for one from WD and they sent one with a free gallon for my trials for the above mentioned use. Works good for me. I should have asked Brownell's for a MSDS for their product. 82.99 what a rip!

Guest Lester Weevils

WD-40 seems used a lot for hobby metal lathe cutting coolant. Seems to work OK for that. Seems to also work ok for light thread-cutting and to extend the life of drill bits and hacksaw blades drilling/cutting metal.

However, maybe there is something better-cheaper for those uses as well.