Problem at the range today..

Guest johnmattwill

Guest johnmattwill

Not G&L they were great.... Not my Springfield 1911 it was accurate as can be...... Not the ammo Walmart had plenty of .45ACP.... The problem was I could not see and focus in on my front sight.... stupid needing glasses.... first time this has affected my shooting.... dont know what to do...... At least now I have an excuse for 5" groups... :2cents:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not G&L they were great.... Not my Springfield 1911 it was accurate as can be...... Not the ammo Walmart had plenty of .45ACP.... The problem was I could not see and focus in on my front sight.... stupid needing glasses.... first time this has affected my shooting.... dont know what to do...... At least now I have an excuse for 5" groups... :2cents:

Get glasses or laser eye surgery? Not that big a deal.

Not G&L they were great.... Not my Springfield 1911 it was accurate as can be...... Not the ammo Walmart had plenty of .45ACP.... The problem was I could not see and focus in on my front sight.... stupid needing glasses.... first time this has affected my shooting.... dont know what to do...... At least now I have an excuse for 5" groups... :)

Get Glasses or contacts.

Guest mrkirker

Merrit adjustable eyepiece for your glasses. Much cheaper than another pair of glasses, and safer than laser surgery, too!

I've been having the same issues as well...without my reading glasses, I can see the target clearly, but fuzzy sights. Reading glasses help the sight alignment, but then I get a blurry target picture. As already suggested, look into new glasses first. Laser surgery isn't for everyone. Looks like I'm going to be in tri-focal lens' now. I'll let you know if they work for me.

I went through this a few months ago. I am not old, but I do spend a ton of time studying. I went to the dr, got glasses, and all of a sudden it was like all my guns had new sights on them. I first noticed it when the cheap scope on my 10/22 looked blurry, but just thought it was because it was cheap. Then I noticed I could not see powerpoints in class. Now, with new glasses, they are both nice and crisp. :)

For several years, I had a "reading" only prescription but I never really noticed it affecting my shooting that much...eventually had to have distance correction too and now I have shooting glasses that use the "middle" part of the progressive bi-focal along with the distance correction and it seems to work well for "arms length" sight picture as well as still allowing me to see the target at at distance.

That IS and expensive option but it's the best I've come up with so far. The shooting prescription I have is for an "inert" that slips inside my Revision shooting system set-up.

I would not opt for laser surgery. If it is done incorrectly, then it's a trip to Dr. Ming Wang to see if he can fix you. I've been told laser surgery is only good for ten years and will not reduce your need for reading glasses. As we age, our lenses in our eyes gets more rigid and will not focus up close as well as our younger days. Try buying a couple of cheap reading glasses at Wal-Mart. It sucks getting old.

It doesn't get better with time either! Maybe just get guns with longer barrels? I went the trifocal route myself. No ta perfect solution but usable. Tried progressives and took them back.

As you get older your eyeballs get harder, less ellastic. This means that you can no longer focus up close. It only gets worse and lasers can't cure it. What I do is a) learn to line up blurry sights,(In a self defense situation you won't have time to put on glasses) ;) wear reading glasses. The bad part about wearing glasses is that the sights are in focus, but the target is blurry. (My vision is 20/20 beyond 3 feet.) I have found that 1.25 reading glasses work best for me. The sights are clear and the target is just a little blurry. Laser sights and red dot sights also work great.

Guest johnmattwill

Another part of this whole eyesight thing that has been driving me crazy is..... eating blurry food.... I dont think it tastes as good.... And I sure cant get used to it..