How to glue cracked wood.

I have a wood rifle stock I'm redoing that if you put a little pressure on it you

can see it starting to crack in a couple of places. What's the best way to glue

this back together? Do they make a glue that you can inject with a hypodermic needle?

Or what is the best way?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If it is a small crack the super glue is fine, but if you can get epoxy in there....nothing, and I mean nothing gets a stock back together like epoxy resin

If you can wedge it open a little with a toothpick without breaking or damaging the surface...the best way I have found to fix a crack is mix some 2 part epoxy resin (not the 5 minute...the 30min-1hr set stuff) and scrape it in the crevice. Then blow it in with compressed air. Get as much as you think you will need to saturate and then clamp it together by wrapping with surgical tubing. Wrap it a lot and tight. The tubing is $0.50 a foot at Lowes in the rope section.

I have had 336 marlin stocks in 3 pieces that were repaired to where you couldn't tell they were busted. Tighter you wrap...the better you hide those cracks.

on the couple of milsurps I have that have stock damage they were repaired by what appears to be a hole drilled at the end of the crack and filled with a dowl. I assume drilling the end of the crack stops the stress and further cracking. The repairs look nice to and have been effective.

2 part epoxy is the way to go. My Dad is a wood turner and sometimes has to fix cracks. I forget exactly what he uses, but you wouldn't know he'd glued it if he didn't point it out. It readily accepts stain so it can be refinished too. Dad uses several of the quick-grip bar clamps with towels to prevent scaring the surface. It works great.

Guest Lester Weevils

A good way to minimize surface marring from squeeze out is to mask both sides of the repair with blue painters tape before gluing. Try to get the tape down good enough so glue doesn't seep under the edge of the tape.

The blue painters tape is less likely to try to pull up the finish compared to other tape. Maybe sometimes blue tape can pull up healthy finish, but hasn't happened to me yet.

Guest GunTroll

If the OP's stock is cracked or split like in that link then epoxy or glass would be my choice but if its still intact as in a crack not split then I would go with something lighter like the product I recommended. Hot Stuff is perfect for seeping down into small cracks do to it being so thin. It sets quick you you'd have to move fast.

KISS applies here.