Interchangable backstraps? Is this just a gimick?

I'm seeing the interchangable backstraps as the newest rage in handguns. I have'm on my XDm-40 and Glock 19 gen 4, I see Beretta is now offering them on their Storm. I tried them on my XDm and Glock and to tell you the truth, I couldn't tell one from another and can't say any of them make me a better shooter. I went back to the backstrap that came with the pistol. Am I missing something? Or do you have to be a compeditive class shooter to know the difference?

For those of us with small to medium hands, I beleive they really do offer a better grip choice. But I think it is the particular gun. its' width and girth, as well as the individual that makes this worthwhile. In short, the interchangeable backstraps are a sales gimmick, but they do serve a purpose for some of us.

Case in point, I recently bought a Storm PX45 SD and found the smallest backstrap to be a better fit for me than the medium and large. The Storm had the largest on when I picked it up for the first time and it really felt too big to hold comfortably. After changing it out, the fit was very much improved. YMMV

I can tell a difference with my Gen 4 Glocks because they are slightly smaller than the previous generations. So no, I don't think it's a gimmick.

+1. I have little girlie hands like Erik, so the Gen 4 Glock is the only one I have liked. I like the backstrap feature on my M&P too.

I swapped the default ones on my PX4 beretta, its noticably different with each one. Sort of like how a thicker rifle stock pad can move your arm just enough to fit better in the length of pull, its not huge but it helps fit the gun to you.

Guest friesepferd

They can be helpful for those who have smaller hands. My hands arent TINY, but I am a female so the double stacked guns CAN be a bit big for me. The more I can take off there the better.

Guest TnValleyBulletman

I don't think it's a gimmick. If it makes the gun fit some hands better it's a very good thing. Apparently it does that.

BTW, it's not really a new thing. People have been switching backstraps AKA mainspring housings on 1911 for years. Why shouldn't the new generation of pistols have this feature?

...BTW, it's not really a new thing. People have been switching backstraps AKA mainspring housings on 1911 for years. Why shouldn't the new generation of pistols have this feature?

Excellent point, I never really thought about it though.

Guest dubaholic2

i have an xdm .45 and they make a difference for me. i prefer the feel of the largest backstrap. i couldnt tell all that much difference with the small and medium, but theres a definite difference with the largest.

Just a feature some may benefit from. You find the same thing in some shotguns, like the benelli, where the drop can be adjusted with different inserts. I think the biggest benefit is to those with smaller hands, as mentioned. I know my wife can more comfortably reach the mag release on the XD without having to shift her grip. Helpful when playing speed games. Can't really see any negatives of having the feature.

Guest nicemac

I had never seen that from OEM before I bought my M&P back in 2008. There is a big difference in the way the gun feels with the three different grips installed. It was easy to get a "custom fit" right out of the box.

Guest Ae-35

Ah... sure I'm showing my age. Is this any different , than in the wheelgun days, when everyone had custom ( after-market) grips on their guns ? Seems I have a bigger problem with autos that have narrow grips. I hate the KT PF9, love the P11. I have avg. hands. I don't think the changeable back-straps are really too much of a gimick. So much of shoot'n is mental, if you think it fits better, well the odds are you'll shoot better. At least let's hope so !!!

Beretta's Px4 Storm has had them several years not, when I got my Storm I took all three to the range with me and tried them out, to me there is a great deal of difference in each one. I have short fat hands and the optional grips are a great help.

It's not a gimmick in my opinion. I believe that it can make each brand of gun appeal to a larger group of people. Take the previous generations of Glocks for example. I have small to average size hands and the Glock grips were just a touch too big. The Gen 4 with no back strap installed is just the perfect size for me. The different sizes are very subtle, only a few millimeters, but it's just enough to broaden the sizes across a wide range of grips.