1am shop scrap knife

This is what happens when I am out in the shop late at night :screwy:

Saturday about 10pm I headed out to the shop to close up, and decided to pick up a few things while there. Going through some boxes, I come across this old knife and decided I liked the shape of it. I also remembered seeing an old circular saw blade in another box - and remembered some people use them to make knives.

<<wheels turning, wheels turning>>

190789_1850163984642_1557003540_31908759_322567_n.jpg

Hmmm...

196319_1850250826813_1557003540_31908857_5393791_n.jpg

Fired up the plasma, then the grinder, then the flap wheel... grabbed some washers that were sitting on the bench, and fired up the welder.

*poof*

188685_1850255386927_1557003540_31908872_4847281_n.jpg

Not all that happy with the finished product - clearly my "vision" became cloudy somewhere after midnight :D

But I met my goal of seeing how a saw-blade knife would turn out. Still a little thin for my tastes, but I will see how it holds an edge after I put a good sharpening on it.

I may try another with the washers for a handle - I had the welder up too high and instead of a "fake TIG" look (I was using a gas MIG welder), I burned into the washers and left a rough edge. Next time I will turn the power down and get that nice stacked dime look around the washer perimeter so I can just wire wheel it and call it good.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had a cheap chi-com plasma for 4 or 5 years now, paid like $300 for it, still cuts what I need, when I need it. You might consider one for yourself...

I'm afraid it would wind up like my table saw. So far, it has only cut one piece. Did a helluva job though :screwy:. Good to know. 300 bucks is affordable.

Guest .45packer

I think you were on to something untill you added the washers. Maybe a nice hardwood handle would look good on that great looking blade....

lol... the washers - well, it was 1am, I wasn't thinking clearly :rolleyes: Then again - as a test knife, I really didn't feel like spending a lot of time on carving out some wooden handles.

I have some cherry wood I found in another box... I think version #2 gets a wood handle... maybe later this week.

I think you were on to something untill you added the washers. Maybe a nice hardwood handle would look good on that great looking blade....

The washers are not a total loss. They *look* like they make decent finger grooves. I would say cut them in half to make the finger groove effect and add wood or plastic or something around the back to polish it off. Heck, cut a slot into an old handle, push it in there, and secure it with 2-3 bolts or whatever and its close to done.

Guest Broomhead
The washers are not a total loss. They *look* like they make decent finger grooves. I would say cut them in half to make the finger groove effect and add wood or plastic or something around the back to polish it off. Heck, cut a slot into an old handle, push it in there, and secure it with 2-3 bolts or whatever and its close to done.

That's similar to what I was thinking. To me, if you smooth out the front and back sides of the washers to where they are straight and not bumpy, then either cord wrap it or make a simple wood or plastic handle, and you have a decent first knife. You should check out the Custom Knife section on rimfirecentral.com. They have some excellent knives and are always willing to share their knowledge to help others learn. Most of the knife makers on there feel that knife making is becoming a dying art.

The washers are perfectly comfortable - both in width and thickness - relative to the thickness/weight of the blade. I'll probably clean it up, put an edge on it, make a sheath of some kind, and toss it in the side pocket of the truck for general farm/woods use.