Do you have to register your handgun?

Guest Star1021Scott

Guest Star1021Scott

Sorry guys, I am quite the newbie here, but figured I would ask, because no question is a stupid question? I bought a handgun from an individual at a gunshow, I was given his information etc, do I have to have that handgun registered in my name? Or Does it matter? If so could you give me some instruction on how to do so?

Thanks.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tennessee is a "friend to friend" state. If you are legally qualified to own a handgun you can buy it from another friend who MUST be a resident of Tennessee also. That part is all good.

My concern in your statement is you bought it at a gunshow but you don't state you filled out a form 4473 which you probably would have thought of as registration. The concern is being covered on another thread called "Straw Purchase". If a dealer met you outside and sold you the gun then he is in big trouble. This is part of the Gun Show loophole that anti's like to throw in our faces. Myself, if you and another TN resident decided to conduct business your good to go.

Perhaps you want to clarify the details. (or maybe you don't want to...)

I wouldn't clarify any details on an internet forum, either way. Even if someone didn't run a background check when they were supposed to (which only applies if you were buying it from an actual dealer, not just some guy) that's their problem, not yours. IANAL, but the way I understand things, as long as you're not a felon or meth addict, then you are peachy.

Guest Star1021Scott

Makes no difference to me, I was in the physical show, he was another TN resident and I didn't feel out a any forms other thangeneric bill of sale with his information on it.

What do you think?

No felon, crack addict, meth head, etc.

Edited by Star1021Scott
Guest gcrookston

I transfered with my former company 7 times in 11 years. All job offers were considered by state regulations on gun ownership. New York, California, New Jersey and Illinois could have moved me up the ladder a little faster... all are not states I would not consider. Tennessee is just fine

We don't register guns, big screen TVs, Nike sneakers or anything else like that. And thank Gd for it!

But you wouldn't believe how many people I get through the shop wanting to know if "the gun will be in my name." I tell them, we dont register guns here. But they still want to know whether they're the legal owner. THey just can't understand that buying a gun really isn't much more than a pair of shoes or a prescription drug.

We don't register guns, big screen TVs, Nike sneakers or anything else like that. And thank Gd for it!

Does the TBI or some government agency not keep records of the sale?

If the state decides to outlaw type X firearms and I have purchased one from a dealer; will there not be a record somewhere that I bought that firearm?

Guest flyfishtn
Does the TBI or some government agency not keep records of the sale?

If the state decides to outlaw type X firearms and I have purchased one from a dealer; will there not be a record somewhere that I bought that firearm?

As I understand, the only people that have the records of what was sold is the gun shop itself. TBI reports that these records are not kept after the sale is complete and the person is approved. If denied, then TICS has the appeal process and after that is complete they destroy those records as well.

here is how i see the "registration" of a firearm. technically, Tennessee does not require you to register a handgun that you lawfully own. stop and think about this process.

you want to buy a gun. fine. you goto the dealer of your choice and complete the paperwork needed for the BAFT and FBI background check. you pass the instant check then goto the counter to pay for your selected items. the last 2 guns i have bought have been from a dealer, therefore the make model and serial number of the gun i bought was all on the receipt, and the store copy went into the federal files with your background check. so lets say 3 years from now, you sell that gun to a friend and he sells it to a friend and then the 3rd party gets his home broken into and all valuables are stolen along with the aforementioned handgun. he files a report, blah blah. lets say the gun turns up 6 months later at the center of an investigation involving a shooting of a government official. what is the gubamint gonna do? run the serial through. the serial goes to mom n pops gun shop and the feds then ask who bought this? they tell them you did, and now because there is no real record keeping on the buying and selling of any firearm.

stupid huh

As I understand, the only people that have the records of what was sold is the gun shop itself. TBI reports that these records are not kept after the sale is complete and the person is approved. If denied, then TICS has the appeal process and after that is complete they destroy those records as well.

That is correct. And I know that to be true for a fact. One time I had to dig up an approval number the next day and it was a painstaking by hand process on the part of the clerk to produce it.

here is how i see the "registration" of a firearm. technically, Tennessee does not require you to register a handgun that you lawfully own. stop and think about this process.

you want to buy a gun. fine. you goto the dealer of your choice and complete the paperwork needed for the BAFT and FBI background check. you pass the instant check then goto the counter to pay for your selected items. the last 2 guns i have bought have been from a dealer, therefore the make model and serial number of the gun i bought was all on the receipt, and the store copy went into the federal files with your background check. so lets say 3 years from now, you sell that gun to a friend and he sells it to a friend and then the 3rd party gets his home broken into and all valuables are stolen along with the aforementioned handgun. he files a report, blah blah. lets say the gun turns up 6 months later at the center of an investigation involving a shooting of a government official. what is the gubamint gonna do? run the serial through. the serial goes to mom n pops gun shop and the feds then ask who bought this? they tell them you did, and now because there is no real record keeping on the buying and selling of any firearm.

stupid huh

Could you force the private in-state resident sale to go through a gun shop (form 4473) to at least have paper trail from one owner to another owner via the gun shop?

That way if the sold firearm is used in a criminal activity, you have a copy of the form 4473 to show you sold it to a person.

Could you force the private in-state resident sale to go through a gun shop (form 4473) to at least have paper trail from one owner to another owner via the gun shop?

That way if the sold firearm is used in a criminal activity, you have a copy of the form 4473 to show you sold it to a person.

The seller can request that the sale go through an FFL; the buyer can agree or refuse.

But I’m not sure what you are getting at. Are you concerned that you will be a suspect in the crime the gun was used in, or are you concerned that you will be accused of selling a gun to a dirt bag?

You can't force anyone to do anything of the sort, but you can refuse to sell the firearm without going through an ffl. I don't see why you would want to, I'm not particularly fond of unnecessary paperwork with my personal information on it.

Agreed. Poor choice of words. However, the essence of my question is more about creating a paper trail from private seller to private buyer in case the sold firearm is used in a criminal activity by the private buyer or if the firearm is stolen from the buyer.

I have seen a thread about creating your own firearm transfer document that the buyer must sign, however, I would rather have something that is considered official and can withstand the government scrutiny.

DaveTN,

Both. How would I know if someone has any felonies in a private sale? A person's looks can be deceiving.

DaveTN,

Both. How would I know if someone has any felonies in a private sale? A person's looks can be deceiving.

You can’t. And I don’t think Tennessee law expects you to be able to; if they did they would make the database available on the internet. You can’t sell a firearm to someone that you know is banned from purchasing.

Exactly. Ask the person if they can legally own a gun. If they say yes, then you're golden, if they are lying, then they're in trouble, but unless you have reason to disbelieve them you can take them at their word.

This is the same principle that is outlined in the straw purchases thread. As long as Rabbi, or Frank, or Joe, or whatever ffl has no reason to believe that you are not the actual purchaser of a firearm then they can assume that you are telling the truth.

I have seen a thread about creating your own firearm transfer document that the buyer must sign, however, I would rather have something that is considered official and can withstand the government scrutiny.

If there is going to be government scrutiny then the government should make firearms transfers available free at some government facility.

(I still have a hard time believing that some local enterprising firearms dealer hasn’t hit a home run on this one yet ;))

I understand that form 4473 it is not required for in-state private sales to go through an FFL.

If I wanted to CYA during the in-state private sale, then you would use the FFL correct? All I am trying to achieve is a clear paper trail of the sold firearm from me to the buyer.

Yes, but a signed bill of sale would do the same thing.

Even a notation that you sold the gun on such and such a date in your own private files would be fine.

I am at a loss to understand the issue here. Does someone really think that because he sold a gun to someone else and the gun was later, maybe much later, used in a crime that the police are going to arbitrarily arrest him? Doesn't make much sense to me.

And while we're on the subject, I would strongly suspect that a couple of people on this site are actually prohibited.

Guest Nativoffla

I was told that after 6 months in Tn, That registered guns (from dealers) is removed from the records,because of the non- registratation of weapons after sale. Anyone have knowledge of this?? :D

• 3 years later...
Guest AhmadGotti

I had a handgun stolen. When I went to the police station to make a report, the officer asked me if my gun was registered? Does he not understand Tennessee law? I was assuming that since he asked this question I needed to get my firearm registered once receiving it back.