What brand of turkey shells is everybody using?

I wondered what brand of shells everybody was using on here. I shoot a Mossberg 500 camo that I've had since '94. Its a 12 ga. 3" with Hastings .640 choke. I shoot the plain old Winchester 3" mags. that have 1 7/8 oz. #4 shot. I've got nothing against the "better" more expensive shells. The cheaper shells work good and I don't see any reason to change.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest GunTroll

3 1/2 Win supremes #5 that I picked up at Dicks a few years ago for $4.97 a box. #4&6 were going for $15 then. Don't know why the 5's were so cheap but I bought every box they had which was about 10 so I'm good for a year or two!

Yep, I'm running old style classic again (since I sold Hunting 101 the Stoeger last year!! LOL)

Simple Remy 870 with a Remington Full Turkey choke. It'll work. I'll go ahead and pattern it soon just to see what it does but I usually don't risk long shots anyway...do I McFlurry.

I just ordered some Hevi-13. 3.5 inch, #7 shot. I hope to have everyone a performance report on opening day. ;)

I am going to shoot a few of the Hevi 13 #7 to see how they pattern. Right now I am shooting the Hevi Magnum blends of 5,6,7 shot. They pattern ok, but I have been wanting to try the straight 7s to see what I get.

Guest 1shot

Rem 870 Super Mag with a Star Dot .665 choke and 3 1/2" Federal Hi-velocity 2oz #5 . Kills on both ends but mister Tom doesn't walk away.

Every now and then you can find someone selling some. I just patterned my shotgun today and was putting over 50 pellets in the kill zone at 40 yards with Winchester #5 3 inch. Not to bad considering I'm using my coyote choke. Think I will stick with my setup.

Guest GunTroll

Can't complain about those results.

Anyone hunt with anything "exotic" like a double O/U or SxS? Or an old relic? I've been thinking of giving my Grandpa's old Win 12 with US ordinance markings on it a go just to bring it back to life, so to speak. And to think of my grandfather while enjoying TN outdoors.

Guest Jcochran88

I use a mossberg 835 ultra mag with kicks choke and shoot 3.5 # 5 federal tungsten holds a grape fruit size pattern to about 40 then opens up to a basketball size out to 60 ish.

I am going to shoot a few of the Hevi 13 #7 to see how they pattern. Right now I am shooting the Hevi Magnum blends of 5,6,7 shot. They pattern ok, but I have been wanting to try the straight 7s to see what I get.

Let me know how they work for you. I was going to get a box of the mag blends, went back to Bass Pro two days after seeing them and they were sold out. I found the #7's on line at Cabelas and ordered a couple of boxes.

Guest Jcochran88
Then why didn't you shoot that ole bird last year!? He was in range for you! Quit being nice next time and take the shot.[/quote

Ha! wanted to see how good of a caller you really where, I like about 10 steps!!!

I use a mossberg 835 ultra mag with kicks choke and shoot 3.5 # 5 federal tungsten holds a grape fruit size pattern to about 40 then opens up to a basketball size out to 60 ish.

I used to have the same gun and choke and it was by far the best turkey gun I ever sold. Wish I could take that sell back.

Let me know how they work for you. I was going to get a box of the mag blends, went back to Bass Pro two days after seeing them and they were sold out. I found the #7's on line at Cabelas and ordered a couple of boxes.

Will do. I ordered a red dot sight that should be here Monday and I will probably shoot tuesday or wednesday next week.

Check Midsouth Shooters Supply, Reloading, Air Guns, Optics, Muzzleloaders & Shooting Supplies for Hevi loads. That is where I got my #7's. Of course, they are just across the interstate from me.