What brand of turkey shells is everybody using?

Guest clutepc

I used some cheap Winchester shells from Walmart last year, first time using a shotgun after anything.

Shot two but they were both within 15 yards.

I don't have a shotgun this year so we'll see how the Muzzy's do.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We got a Mossberg "Tactical Turkey" in the shop a few days ago. Complete Camo, adjustable stock, pistol grip with shell holder built into stock, high vis sight....it's interesting to me. Would love to see how it shoots. Someone else could probably use this in a few weeks.

Mossberg 935 grand slam with a indian creek choke. The heavy shot blend patterns the best ,with federal 5's or 6's with the flight control wad second. Its got a 22'' barrel so you only get 35 to 40 yds max with that choke which is the best i've found so far. Its shoots alittle high any sugestions from ayone?

We got a Mossberg "Tactical Turkey" in the shop a few days ago. Complete Camo, adjustable stock, pistol grip with shell holder built into stock, high vis sight....it's interesting to me. Would love to see how it shoots. Someone else could probably use this in a few weeks.

I bought one in a model 535 a couple weeks ago and while I haven't finished sighting in I can tell you the following:

It is light so I expected it to kick worse than other 3.5" guns, but the pistol grip does a good job of helping to disperse the recoil.

With Hevi Shot, mine shoots high. I ran out of rear sight adjustment and I am still high, but just barely. I ordered a Burris FastFire II to take care of the sight issue, and cause I just wanted one. :D

The patterns were nice using the Magnum blend Hevi Shot, but I am going to test Hevi 13 #7's next week when I get the red dot mounted.

My trigger could stand some work, but overall I like the gun for what it is, a dedicated turkey gun.

Guest Oletrapper

Federal 3 1/2" Magnum #4 shot, Mossberg 835, Sure glad I only have to shoot it once a year. Will take a turkey's head off at 50 yards and make your arm (shoulder) sore for a month.

I wondered what brand of shells everybody was using on here. I shoot a Mossberg 500 camo that I've had since '94. Its a 12 ga. 3" with Hastings .640 choke. I shoot the plain old Winchester 3" mags. that have 1 7/8 oz. #4 shot. I've got nothing against the "better" more expensive shells. The cheaper shells work good and I don't see any reason to change.
Edited by Oletrapper
clarified

Here are my patterns from last weekend. Remington 870, Jellyhead .665, Hevi 3.5" #7. All shots were 40 yards from target.

First pattern - 214 in a 10" circle

hevi13002.jpg

Second pattern - 221 in a 10" circle

hevi13003.jpg

Last pattern - H.S. Strut turkey target 59 pellets in contact with turkey

hevi13001.jpg

Edited by cannonball
Guest mtaylor703

I bought a 12 gauge 11-87 5 years ago and put a H.S. Strut undertaker choke on it. Both on sale of course. Bought 2 boxes of Winchester Supreme 3", 5 shot shells. Sighted in with 3. Each single shot after brought down a turkey. I'm still working on that second box of shells. I guess all the planets were aligned just right the day I bought it. Can't wait till this weekend.

I got out and shot today. I got the Burris FastFire II sighted in and got some great patterns at 40 yards. The Hevi 13 #7's shot well enough to kill every shot, but the Hevi Magnum blends gave me a little tighter, more consistent pattern. I am going to hunt with the Magnum Blends this year.

My daughter killed her bird with the Magnum Blends in 20ga/3" and that sucker's neck felt like a bag of gravel when I pulled him out of the truck.

I was shooting with my game warden buddy and converted him to Hevi 13 #7's after he saw how they patterned in his 870. It was so much more impressive than the #5 leads he had been using.

There was a flock of birds about 30 strong on the west side of Vietnam Veteran's in between Hendersonville and Gallatin Saturday morning just mocking me. Two huge toms all blown up in the middle of them. About 30 yards off the highway. Behind them, a subdivision. These birds won't ever hear a shot. I could feel them watching me as I craned my neck to look as I drove by. Dang birds.