Whiskey's first turkey...

OK my TGO friends, I'd like to pass on a little info about my "Little Buddy" Whiskey also known as "JW". In this day and time there is very little to laugh about, but I think we'll all laugh in a bit.

The players are:

WD-40: aka "Dave"

Whiskey: aka "JW"

Wildman: aka" Game Warden"

So last week, Wildman and myself was working the boundary on Cross Creeks Wildlife Refuge, when he up and asks...

Wildman: Did you're little buddy JW tell you about how he got his first Turkey?

Dave: No sir.

Wildman: Well, ask him.

Dave: So, what's the deal?

So, Wildman goes to telling me the story about JW's (Whiskey's) first Turkey 2 years ago.

I liked to fell out of the truck laughing!

Dave: That's funny stuff right there...he's the "Turkey Guru" for Montgomery County!

Wildman: (almost fell out of the truck laughing).

So, before I relay the story from Wildman....I want to give my little buddy "Whiskey", "JW" and Turkey Guru, an opprotunity to tell his side of this funny story!

Come on little buddy.......

Edited by wd-40
  • Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, that is why they allow you to testify in your own defense in court... Everybody KNOWS that game wardens lie! :)

Although some of the details change depending on which party is telling the story, it was a great story and a great hunt. It went something like this:

Me and Wildman were hunting a private farm in Montgomery county. We were on a late afternoon hunt and when we arrived we got on birds right away. I was shooting and Wildman was calling (my first error in judgement). We slipped down the woods road and could see the gobblers strutting at the edge of the field. We get into position in the woods and Wildman immediately starts calling to them and manages to run both gobblers off. :)

We watched the birds disappear over the back side of a hill in the open field. So Willdman decides we need to belly crawl the short 200 yard distance across this field and hit the sage grass at the crest of the hill where the turkeys went. No problem right? Have you ever belly crawled 200 yards across a disked corn field? I just quit breathing after the first 150 yards cause it was easier to die than continue. Somehow I managed to will myself the rest of the way and lay dieing in the sage grass depression. Wildman whispers that he is going to ease of the crest and see if he can locate the turkeys. I just lay there and gasped for air. Wildman came back way to quick and informed me the turkeys were just over the crest at 30 yards and for me to slip up and hammer the strutter!

As I started crawling over the crest, I catch movement on my right. 4 deer almost stepped on me! I didn't want to spook them and in turn spook the turkeys so I had to wait till they got past. After they were past me, I crawled up to the crest next to Wildman and he is "whisper yelling" for me to shoot the strutter! I look over the crest and see a big gobbler coming out of strut and heading away from me, past Wildman.

So imagine the two of us laying in the grass, me on the right, him on the left, bird in front of us moving to the left. Wildman is continuing to whisper yell for me to shoot now, shoot now, he's getting to far out. I am doing my best to raise my gun, mounted on my left shoulder, with my right hand and quickly finding that my arm is not long enough to get the gun high enough to shoot the turkey. I couldn't move from my belly, I was out of arm length and the bird was getting away. Wildman is asking, do you got him? do you got him? I say, raise my gun barrel. The barrel is basically in front of his face now. He looks at me funny and says, WHAT? I said, RAISE MY BARREL! Wildman grabs the barrel and magically raises the gun to the perfect height and I pulled the trigger. BOOM! FLOP! dead bird.

You know, to me, it was a great partnership that resulted in a successful hunt. We were all high fives and chest bumps in the field, then somehow when we got home the story changed. Somehow it became a great chance to razz me about "needing help getting it up". :) Gotta love good friends like Wildman and WD-40.

Guest BEARMAN
:):rofl:ROFLMAO! That was a great ending to a funny story, Whiskey...It's good to have a friend like Wildman to "help you get it up" so to speak...:)

I have to hand it to ya buddy....wasn't sure you would get it. Of course Widman told the story much better than you. Great how teamworw works! He asked me all the time if I dropped the hammer on ya yet. Well, you can let him know now that the cat is out of the bag!

Hey WD-40,

Ask JG how many turkeys he has shot since moving to TN. ;)

Last year he and I were trying to ninja up on a couple birds at Cross Creeks and ended up empty handed. JG declared that Easterns were harder to hunt than Osceolas.

Hopefully this year I can add to everyone's enjoyment by killing lots of turkeys in comical fashion. :wall: You just have to promise not to post pictures of me in my turkey hunting panties...