Looking for a handgun recommendation

Branket

Hello everyone,

Let me just start off by saying that I have never fired a handgun. I have shot many different rifles in many different calibers, and shotguns as well, so I'm not completely new to firearms but I am completely new to handguns. I used to live in Michigan and you always had to be 21 to use a handgun at the range so I never got the chance to. This rule might be the same here, I haven't checked simply because my 21st birthday is next month and my first handgun is going to be a present to myself.

So that's a little background on me, now let me tell you what I'm looking for in a handgun (or at least what I think I'm looking for in a handgun). My budget for the gun itself is $500-600, from what I can tell there is a decent variety of new firearms in that price range. I honestly have no idea what caliber I plan to use, but I am leaning toward 9mm because it is cost effective and since this will be my first handgun I want to get a lot of practice with it without spending a fortune on ammunition. Someday when I am more familiar and comfortable with the gun I may take the chp class so size may be a factor, but its not a primary concern.

Please also note that before I purchase a firearm I will try to test one of the same model first, I just want some suggestions on what I should be trying to test. Also if anyone knows of a place where I can rent handguns, or just a good gun shop in the Knoxville area that information would help as well since I'm relatively new to the area.

Sorry about the lengthy post and thank you all in advance for your time.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know of any shops in Knoxville, though I am sure there is a range there somewhere that will rent you one.

As for which one, well, that's like asking which car should you buy. There are so many different makes, models and accessories that it would take a year to figure it out. All I can really offer you is that you go to a range that rents them and try out as many different ones that you can afford. My local range charges about $10 plus ammo to rent one of their guns. They have just about every major type to try.

My first personaly owned handgun was a Beretta 92FS. Basically the same firearm that the military carries. I chose this because I got to use one in the military and I figured that since I was already familiar with it, I might as well buy it.

Since then I have gone on to purchase a Glock and a 1911. I actually carry the Glock on almost a daily basis with the 1911 riding along when the mood strikes me. The Beretta has become a house gun for the wife to have more shots than her revolver before reloading.

Anybody says to you that you have to purchase this gun or that gun then run away screaming from them because they are just giving you their opinion. I know that is what you are basically asking for, but my opinion is just to go to the range and get acquainted with the guns. If there isn't a range that rents guns, at least go to a store and handle as many as you can.

When I purchased my Glock I was going after a Walther. The Glock felt better and came home with me.

Welcome Branket,

Coal Creek Armory off Lovell Road has a good selection of pistols to rent and a relatively cheap indoor range you can shoot in to test them. You would have to call to get any age restrictions. I recently purchase an XD9 sub compact that I am very happy with. Look around the forum and you should finds lots of help from the posts/posters.

Thank you for your replys. I realize that it sounds like I'm looking for someone to tell me whats right without being me but I assure you that was not my intention. I fully intend to veer from the path of recommendations, I'm really just seeking a place to start. It is probably more a question of quality than anything else, although I seem to have foolishly left that out of the original post. Perhaps and edit is in order.

Quality? Beretta makes dang fine weapons in that price range, as does Glock, Walther and Taurus. Rock River has some nice 1911's as does Springfield. If you stick with the big names such as those, you cannot go wrong in the quality department. A Jennings would be RIGHT OUT. I don't have any dealings with Kahr, but I know some people have had good luck with them.

Again, to each his own. Many would tell you not to get a Glock as a carry weapon, and I would agree with that if you are not familiar with their usage and intricacies. Bad Juu Ju as they say since there isn't a "safety" so to speak.

If I had it all to do over again, I would probably stick with the Beretta as my first purchase, but might have actually gone with the Walther as my second purchase. The Beretta is a bit large for daily carry, but then again, so was the 1911.

Get what fits you. You will know it when you pick it up and shoot it.

Since DK is in your area, you two might should hook up at the range. He might let you shoot his guns if you supply the ammo. If you were in my neck of the woods, I would let you shoot mine.

I love my Glock 23. It shoots well and very easy to conceal.

You might want to look into Glock or XD if you are looking for something nice and light for eventual concealed carry.

Both the Glock and XD lines fit into your price range as well.

I'd recommend getting to a range and shoot as many different pistols as you can. Find one you like and buy it.

-Mike

Don't know of any shops in Knoxville, though I am sure there is a range there somewhere that will rent you one.

As for which one, well, that's like asking which car should you buy. There are so many different makes, models and accessories that it would take a year to figure it out. All I can really offer you is that you go to a range that rents them and try out as many different ones that you can afford. My local range charges about $10 plus ammo to rent one of their guns. They have just about every major type to try.

My first personaly owned handgun was a Beretta 92FS. Basically the same firearm that the military carries. I chose this because I got to use one in the military and I figured that since I was already familiar with it, I might as well buy it.

Since then I have gone on to purchase a Glock and a 1911. I actually carry the Glock on almost a daily basis with the 1911 riding along when the mood strikes me. The Beretta has become a house gun for the wife to have more shots than her revolver before reloading.

Anybody says to you that you have to purchase this gun or that gun then run away screaming from them because they are just giving you their opinion. I know that is what you are basically asking for, but my opinion is just to go to the range and get acquainted with the guns. If there isn't a range that rents guns, at least go to a store and handle as many as you can.

When I purchased my Glock I was going after a Walther. The Glock felt better and came home with me.

Good advice.

Try a few on for size, maybe even ask an experienced shooter to accompany you... Don't lock yourself into any particular gun until you have handled enough to understand what features you prefer, and why.

Welcome Branket,

Coal Creek Armory off Lovell Road has a good selection of pistols to rent and a relatively cheap indoor range you can shoot in to test them. You would have to call to get any age restrictions. I recently purchase an XD9 sub compact that I am very happy with. Look around the forum and you should finds lots of help from the posts/posters.

I just looked at the coal creek armory website and they do have an age restriction but like I said that won't be an issue in a few weeks. Their rental structure looks very fair as well $10 per caliber and $5 for each subsequent caliber plus the cost of ammo. Looks like I'll be heading over there in a few weeks.

Once you hit 21, you certainly won't have any problems with the ranges. I wouldn't think you would have any trouble after turning 18.

We all like different handguns. I highly doubt that any of us bought the "perfect" gun the first time.

Glocks are very popular, but I don't care for them. Springfield Armory's XD series is good and reasonably priced. I like H&Ks, but that may be a little out of your price range.

Berettas like Saints was talking about are excellent 9mm handguns. I carried one for a couple of decades before going to a H&K USP. In fact I still carry a Beretta 92SB on some occasions.

Look around a lot and try them out. It has to be something you can shoot well and you are comfortable with. Don't overlook trade-ins at the shops. People trade off good handguns all the time.

Guest GlocKingTN

I agree with everyone else. You have to pick the right gun for you. I use and prefer Glocks. But you are a different person and may not like something about the glock that I like. I personally shoot a G22 .40 cal. I love it! Whatever you do, find something that fits your hand and is comfortable in all aspects.

Guest drewi

I like the guys a Coal Creek. You should go talk to them. They may be able to help you get your carry permit if you want one.

There's another gun shop in West Knoxville in the Cedar Bluff area with an indoor range. I think it's called Guncraft.

As far as 9mm guns I like the G19.

Other great guns:

Springfield XD

H&K P2000

S&W M&P (I haven't personally tried this gun but it's getting good reviews AFAIK)

Saintsfanbrian is correct. You're going to have to get out there and try this stuff out for yourself. You may not like you first choice in handguns. Most gun owners will let you try their's out if you see something at the range you want to try.

I strongly recommend that you buy a holster at the same time you buy your gun. Any handgun that's going to be kept for defense needs a holster IMO. Get a holster of good quality. The store where you buy your gun may not have a great selection. The good news is you got internet access so you can buy online. Do some research and ask questions before you decide on a holster.

I will say, in addition to my previous endorsment of an open-minded approach to selecting a first handgun, that after I had been shooting and carrying pistols for a few years, I wished that the Beretta 92F had been my first gun (as it was, it was my 4th). It was very controllable, accurate, easy to maintain, uber reliable, and used cheap ammo. I was able to learn more about shooting technique, practicing with that gun, than any other.

Some other semi-auto pistols which are easy for new shooters to acclimate to (IMHO) are:

Sig P226 9mm

Magnum Research Baby Eagle Full-Size 9mm (or CZ75, Witness, etc...)

S&W 5900 series

Ruger P89

Springfield XD-9 Tactical

H&K USP 9mm Full-Size

Browning/FN High-Power 9mm

Glock 17/34

There's a list to keep your eye out for when you are looking for pistols to try, you're likely to really take-to one or more of them more naturally than others.

Guest db99wj

If you are not familiar with handguns, get instruction. Whether it is through the range in a class setting (Intro to handguns type class) or one on one get some instruction.

One thing to consider if the trigger system. Many years ago I started when you had only two basic choices. One being a revolver and the other being a single action auto. Since them I think I have tried just about everything except a HK P7 squeeze cocker. Try some different guns but since I like the same trigger pull on every shot, I have sold off everything that has a different trigger pull between the first and second shots. I have kept,

Colt single action autos

Beretta double action only

revolvers (SW's and Taurus's)

Glocks

one exception...CZ75 because it can be carried cocked and locked like a 1911.

I found that, for me, the transition between the long heavy first pull and the light second pull of a SA/DA gun like a Beretta 92f or a SW 5906 was too difficult for me to master. It may not be for others but it was for me.

I suggest you start off learning properly and I highly recommend the Glock. It does not have a external safety but neither does any revolver I own nor any DA only auto. It is virtually indestructible, all parts are readily available, none require fitting by a gunsmith, good factory magazines are inexpensive and readily available, holsters and accessories are also inexpensive and available also. Many will disagree, but I plan to start my son on a Glock 19, as a carry gun, when he turns 21. Also, as you stated, 9mm ammo is the least expensive so the 19/17 is going to be your best bet. Also, since you can't really hurt a Glock or wear one out, I would say find a like new in box used one for around $425, which is a common used price, and use the rest of the money for holsters, training and ammo.

Wow, thanks for all the quick, yet informative, replies. Lots of good places to start my search. I just want to let everyone know that I fully intend to purchase the gun that feels right to me. I just want to see what some the more popular choices are, because in most cases they are going to be popular for a reason. That is one of the main reasons I'm asking this question so far in advance of my purchase date, I don't like to be rushed into making major decisions and I like to have a well thought out buying process that ends with me getting what is right for me. I think everyone can agree that the handgun market is quite large and to a beginner like me it is quite overwhelming, so again I thank you all for your help.

There's another gun shop in West Knoxville in the Cedar Bluff area with an indoor range. I think it's called Guncraft.

I live in the Cedar Bluff area so I will have to see if I can locate that shop.

If you are not familiar with handguns, get instruction. Whether it is through the range in a class setting (Intro to handguns type class) or one on one get some instruction.

That is another question I meant to ask what are some opinions on taking a beginning pistol class or something like it. I had planned on it anyway, I feel that the more training I get the better, and db99wj's comment helped reinforce that notion. Any other opinions, different class, where to take it in the area, etc.?

Guest drewi
I saw the web page for coal creek...Have you been there Drewi? it looks like a great place and if I ever get any time, I definitely want to go down for a day and check it out!

perhaps gather a few of my tri city bretheren and go see what they've got to offer.

Yes, I've been there. If I still lived in Knoxville that would be my home gunshop. When I walked in the door I knew it was my kind of place. Meaning they stocked more than just Single Action Army's and over/under shotguns and wasn't as PC as some shops I've visited.

The staff seemed knowledgeable. I believe they conduct formal training as well. Found good conversation there too.

Guest drewi

My fault Branket. It's a little west of you off Lovell Road.

Here's the address: Guncraft Sports - 10737 Dutchtown Rd, Knoxville

Also, do a search for all of the gun shops in your area. You should hit them all before picking a shop, and a firearm.

Make sure you do your own research. The guys in the gun shop may know what they're talking about. But a lot of them don't. Then again, internet guys are the same way.

Guest db99wj
Wow, thanks for all the quick, yet informative, replies. Lots of good places to start my search. I just want to let everyone know that I fully intend to purchase the gun that feels right to me. I just want to see what some the more popular choices are, because in most cases they are going to be popular for a reason. That is one of the main reasons I'm asking this question so far in advance of my purchase date, I don't like to be rushed into making major decisions and I like to have a well thought out buying process that ends with me getting what is right for me. I think everyone can agree that the handgun market is quite large and to a beginner like me it is quite overwhelming, so again I thank you all for your help.

I live in the Cedar Bluff area so I will have to see if I can locate that shop.

That is another question I meant to ask what are some opinions on taking a beginning pistol class or something like it. I had planned on it anyway, I feel that the more training I get the better, and db99wj's comment helped reinforce that notion. Any other opinions, different class, where to take it in the area, etc.?

Well your first sentence after hello said " Let me just start off by saying that I have never fired a handgun." That right there says you need instruction, IMO. Not to say you are not safe, not to say you don't know the pieces and parts and the etc about handguns, but you haven't shot or handled them live. A basic course will get you familiar enough with them so that you are not completely green on the range, with a handgun that is ready to go. I get nervous when I am shooting a gun that I have never shot before. I'm sure some of us on here started this way, I grew up with handguns in my house and the fear of my father if I touched them without him:D until I got older, then I had training in the military and have had my carry class at the end of December. Does this make me an expert, heck no far from it. I need and will take much more training. I will practice, I will perfect the skills I learn from shooting, from words of wisdom (like on here, there are some great people on here with great advice, whether you like it or not), and from the classes I take in the future. There are instructors on here, there are instructors that own schools that are members here, and I have heard them or read, that they still take classes, go to the class with an open mind, take it all in and add to your knowledge.

Lastly, have fun, enjoy it and watch out, this stuff is like crack, highly addictive and will drain your bank account :D

Lastly, have fun, enjoy it and watch out, this stuff is like crack, highly addictive and will drain your bank account :D

Well I don't gamble and I don't do drugs so it looks like I'm good to go. :lol:

Also notice that in my last post I stated that I fully intend to take a basic a pistol course, just looking for recommendations on which one if anyone from the area is familiar with a particularly good instructor. I realize that perhaps I stated it poorly, but I'm typing a paper for an ethics class at the same time that I'm posting here so forgive any little mishaps in my wording.

Guest GlocKingTN

Best thing to do is look on the net for local schools offering classes that are close to you. You should be able to find anything you need to know on the net!

Guest db99wj
Well I don't gamble and I don't do drugs so it looks like I'm good to go. :lol:

Also notice that in my last post I stated that I fully intend to take a basic a pistol course, just looking for recommendations on which one if anyone from the area is familiar with a particularly good instructor. I realize that perhaps I stated it poorly, but I'm typing a paper for an ethics class at the same time that I'm posting here so forgive any little mishaps in my wording.

:D Cool!

Guest jackdog

Try before you buy is the way to go.

I used to be a die hard 1911 advocate, but a few years back I tried a few glocks and fell in love with them. As firearms go thier pretty ugly, but they are very efficient. I have a G27 and a G23 which are both 40 Cal guns. I believe that G26 and G22 are same fire arms in 9MM, Sombody correct me if I'm wrong. The G23 is a midsize gun that is fairly easy to conceal. Hope this helps

Jackdog