Recommendations needed to return a baby glock to stock trigger pull configuration

Dear fellow TGO'ers:______________

Just came into possession of a lightly used Glock 27. It shows almost no use; but appears to have been mechaniced on to comply with some unknown (...to me at least...) LEO departmental requirements for heavier than stock trigger pull. The trigger pull is noticeably heavier than either of my stock glock 33 or 32 triggers. I would like to return this pistol to the "stock" configuration; but im not sure that i know which of the parts should be replaced. I also suspect that the firing pin spring is heavier than stock too.

All that being said; I would appreciate your collecitive input as to what to do to get this little jewel back in the 5 lb trigger pull range. It would also help to clean some of the grittiness in the trigger too.

Thanks in advance.

leroy

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It probably has a New York trigger spring installed. If so, you need to purchase a 5.5lb standard trigger spring. Installation is quite easy, and takes about 2 minutes. Any certified Glock armorer could do it, or there are many videos out there to show you how to do it yourself. All you need is a 3/32" punch.

Edited by Reservoir Dog

I suspect that this is something you can do yourself. However, if you really aren't sure exactly what needs to be done to return it to a stock configuration it might be worth the small expense to have a good armorer do it for you if only to avoid replacing something that doesn't need to be replaced! Just my $0.02 :tough:

You should take a look at ghost triggers too. They have several pulls you can choose from as well as spring sets. I believe they may even provide video instructions. I personally like the 3.5lb. I have installed it in several Glocks. They have never hit the 3.5lb pull, usually around 4-4.5lb, but significantly smooth out the pull.

FWIW, mine (gen 4) was measuring about 7 1/2 pounds are my Lyman trigger gauge, and i know it's stock. It's hard to get a reading with the funky trigger angle. I did a polish job, and it really didn't help. I'm going to lighten it some, and will start with a 3.5 lb connector.

• 2 weeks later...

The $0.25 Trigger Job will work. I quit using the 3.5lb connectors in everything but my 17L and the triggers usuallly will come in at about 4.5lbs using the linked info and stock parts. However, I do have one friend who really likes the NY1 connector and shoots well with it. So hang on to it if that is what you have and play around with it and a stock trigger spring.

The $0.25 Glock trigger job

I hang on to Glock parts and even order them from time to time. My Glock parts box is pictured followed by some Glock tools. For a complete Glock tear down you need the punch (any 3/32 punch will do) a needle nose pliers to pull the mag release spring if you ever need to, and a Glock front sight nut driver if you ever need to put in a sight that has the nut on it. It helps to have a small screwdriver to pop the mag release spring out of its containment slot.

GlockPartsbox.jpg

As far as tools go I use from Left to Right: The knife with punch I ground out of the phillips head screwdriver and the needle oil applicator the most. I occasionally use the brass Glock tool for its front sight nut driver that resides under the punch tip if you screw the punch tip out. I sometimes use the screw driver and needle nose to remove mag catch spring/wire and almost never use the tools to the far right.

GlockTools.jpg

depending on how light you want to go, I've had both M&P and Glocks. The M&P Pro has a nice trigger but I think it is a little more "fiddley" than the Glock. I've had Glock triggers down to 1.75lbs (stupid) and on up to 11. For me 5-4.5 is about right these days after my trigger finger surgery.

If you like to try out different things at the range you might also try a Wolf Extra Power trigger spring. I've tried out lots of Glock aftermarket stuff: Match grade slide locks, aftermarket barrels, aftermarket slides, frames, trigger bars, connectors, guide rods, etc. About all I might fool with now that isn't stock is ISMI springs for certain things and Wolf Springs for others. I've come to the conclusion that the Glock is pretty much is what it is, a fine combat or personal defense pistol. It ain't a Sig P210. Having said that I still can't shoot up to the potential of my 17L or any of my Glocks for that matter. Still, on occasion, I like to shoot a centerfire handgun that has a more precise trigger.

All:______________

Reservoir Dog was exactly right.

...It probably has a New York trigger spring installed. If so, you need to purchase a 5.5lb standard trigger spring. Installation is quite easy, and takes about 2 minutes. Any certified Glock armorer could do it, or there are many videos out there to show you how to do it yourself. All you need is a 3/32" punch. ...

The baby Glock had an olive new york spring. I traded out the trigger spring for a standard glock, changed the striker spring (...it looked just like the stock glock; probably was...), put in a ghost connector (...the one with the slots...), rubbed a bit on the striker/trigger bar mating parts, and put it all back together. You all will be proud to know i used a 3/32 hex wrench to push the pins (...couldnt find my brass 3/32 line up punches from the latest ar15 lower assembling job!!...). The trigger is much better now, still a tad on the heavy side, but is much smoother.

The bigggest headache was removing and replacing the extended magazine release with as standard one (...i'm left handed, and the extended mag release was in the way...). Had to use a hooked pick to pull the spring out of the mag release slot.

Thanks again for all the help.

leroy (...newly initiated junior apprentice glock armorer...)

leroy,

makes you wonder why they even have such a title as "glock armorer" doesn't it? ONce you start poking around in that thing (Glock) it ain't hard to figure out. The first time for nearly anything raises a little apprehension but the Glock is pretty simple as far as firearms go. The Glock is so simple of a design that anyone with a little common sense can completely service the weapon. Once you do it you won't forget and if you do forget that opnly means an extra 5 minutes or less relearning that particular step. Those are the reasons, as well as the price of parts and complete weapons that make me a Glock believer. Those boys in Austria really designed an effective tool, one that rarely needs to be but can be completely serviced by the end user. What an "elegant" design.

Craig

leroy,

makes you wonder why they even have such a title as "glock armorer" doesn't it? ONce you start poking around in that thing (Glock) it ain't hard to figure out. The first time for nearly anything raises a little apprehension but the Glock is pretty simple as far as firearms go. The Glock is so simple of a design that anyone with a little common sense can completely service the weapon. Once you do it you won't forget and if you do forget that opnly means an extra 5 minutes or less relearning that particular step. Those are the reasons, as well as the price of parts and complete weapons that make me a Glock believer. Those boys in Austria really designed an effective tool, one that rarely needs to be but can be completely serviced by the end user. What an "elegant" design.

Craig

Craig:______________

You have spoken a great truth here. The Glock design is, indeed, an "elegant" (... and i think greatest...) solution to the semiauto (...and other...) handgun problem that has been invented to date. This may be heresy to some; but I think Gaston Glock should be right up there on mount rushmore with J.M. Browning, Samuel Colt, and Messers. Smith and Wesson.

As you have said; Mr Glock revolutionized the semiauto pistol and completely changed the approach to designing and building handguns with simplified operation, modular design, simplified parts manufacture, reasonable pricing, and legendary reliability.

I believe that they are the best value in firearms today (...they are some artful copies that are close [...read Walther, Kahr, others...], but a bit more expensive...). All this from an old time colt and smith and wesson snob. I never would have believed that i would ever carry a "recycled plastic coke bottle" pistol in place of a smith or colt. I do now (...glock 33 or this 27...). I believe they are the best carry pistol out there. Now, to talk them into building "baby glock" single stack in 40 or 357 sig!.

Thanks again for all the help.

leroy (...junior apprentice glock armorer...)