Need help. Permit revoked with no notification and I only found out because..

Guest cypher235

Guest cypher235

This happened tonight, I was on my way home tired and not paying attention. I rolled through a stop sign and got pulled over by a local police officer. The city is Dickson if you were wondering.. Well I do what I was told in the carry permit class. Kept my hands on the wheel, told the officer I had a permit, and was armed. He then nicely asked me to step out the vehicle took my firearm (a ruger lcp), and I gave him my license, registration, carry permit etc. He goes to check my license in his car and comes back with we have a situation here. Your carry permit has been revoked! Revoked? I got no notification from the state about this in the mail, no phone calls, no anything. I just had it issued near the end of December. He proceeds to say he has to treat this an unlawful possession of a firearm and writes me up a ticket and gives me a court appearance date and seizes my firearm.

I'm really at a loss for words right now I don't know what the next course of action I should take is. Who I should call, or what I should do? I guess the first thing I'll need is a good lawyer I suppose? I've never had anything more then a speeding ticket in my entire life and there was no reason for the revocation noted. The officers could only think of some mix up with an address change, but I am living at the address listed on my permit and license.

I will say that I give credit to the police officers for being so nice and treating the situation as best as they could. That kept me calm as I am very pissed off that this would happen. Of course it's no fault of theirs and I can't be mad at them. I think we both did the right things in this situation.

I'm almost glad it happened this way, because I have been carrying every day since the permit arrived. This situation could have easily happened somewhere else just with me minding my own business and a police officer catching sight of my gun and asking for the permit and such. That might have been worse.

So is there anyone who can give me advice on what I should do? Please?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow, that sucks! The only thing I can think of(assuming you're giving us the whole story) is that there has been some kind of mistake.

I'm not sure what good it would do, but you should consider calling or emailing Lisa Knight. She works in the office that issues the HCP's and she is usually really helpful. Tell her what happened and maybe she can tell you why your permit was revoked. I'm really surprised they didn't arrest you.

here is her # 615-251-8590

her email lisa.knight@tn.gov

Guest cypher235

Well the officer said it would only be a misdemeanor charge. I don't know anything really about what an leo is supposed to arrest you for, but I voluntarily informed him I had a weapon which I thought was legal and even had the permit for it (which he also had to seize.) and did everything that was asked of me so I don't think I gave him a reason to arrest me.

I'm not some crazy person going around open carrying everywhere just waiting for a police officer to question me about it. It was a ruger lcp with a keltec clip installed clipped onto my waistband. I almost forgot it was on me, and he might have even missed seeing it if he had to pat me down while it was still on me! If I hadn't told him nothing may have even happened, but I would still be walking around unknowingly with a revoked permit. This just isn't right and I hope it's an honest mistake on the states part.

Would I be able to call that number tomorrow or will I have to wait till Monday?

Guest Silvertip46

A good friend of mine emailed her on a Friday night and got a response from her on the following saturday morning. She is very nice and is very helpful. She may be able to give you SOME KIND OF answer or advice.

Guest cypher235
Have you ever in your entire life had ANY trouble with the law? Un-paid tickets? Any trouble when you were a minor?

Three speeding tickets and one warning for speeding. One when I was 17 which I went to traffic court for to have erased or whatever, one when I was 19 or 20, and one last year. All paid, and I've never been in trouble with the law. This is only the fifth time I've ever been pulled over by a police officer and never had any confrontations with them otherwise. Why would they issue it to me in the first place if there was a legitimate reason to revoke it? Hell the background check they do would tell them everything they need to know about me. I just can't believe this is happening. I still live at home with my parents so I made sure to double check through all our mail for some sort of letter from the state saying it was revoked. I figure I could have missed it and maybe my parents saw it, but we got nothing at all. I would not have been carrying a gun period if I had knowledge the permit was revoked.

It could have been revoked and you not received the letter yet, which, if that is the case, will work in your favor in court if you keep the letter with the envelope and the metered date the letter was delivered. Seems like the LEO could have accessed the revocation date. As far as why, it could be any number of things, but is most likely a mistake if you have not been in any trouble. Maybe it was a typo with any of your numerical information which triggered the revocation.

Have you ever been treated, diagnosed or hospitalized for a mental condition?

Even though the records shouldn't be released without your consent it may have been with all of the recent media about Arizona. I have spoke with a veteran who is service connected for PTSD and he is no longer able to purchase firearms. Now I will say he is off, not just a little bit but a lot so it probably is a good thing he can't buy more firearms.

Recently discharge from military service?

Certain types of discharges can revoke your HCP.

Order of protection against you?

Even though you may not have been arrested or even aware of it. It is possible for someone to get a temporary order without you knowing about it until you receive the notification of the hearing date. And with your change of address recently it may not have made it to you. An order of protection that was granted, even a temporary one, will do it. Some judges will grant a temporary if asked for one even if there is no evidence to support the need for one. Perhaps a bad break up and the other person is using the courts to get back at you.

Please do not take offense to these questions, I am not making accusations. I am just trying to think of some of the reasons you may have had you permit revoked without any idea of reason.

Keep us informed. I definitely want to know why.

Dolomite

Take a deep breath and try to relax. Our legal system moves slow, so you don’t need to rush to anything.

I wouldn’t worry about getting a lawyer until you find out why your permit was revoked. If it’s a mix up, you get it straightened out and then go to the DA and see if they will dismiss the charge.

If you find out there is a valid reason for the revocation you will need an attorney.

It could just be a F-up. My wife had her wages garnished, collection calls, and a number of things that involved the police and money because she shared a name with a crook, and the person who hit the buttons to activate all the bad stuff on her did not carefully check the names against the SSN or something. It took months to clear it all up, but only a few days to get the worst of it dealt with. A kind lawyer helped for free: he dictated a letter for her to send that did much for the situation (by the whateveritwas act of 1983, if you keep doing what you are doing, your butt is gonna get sued and you will lose was the gist of it).

Time is on your side if you are in the right. Be proactive and get help, but relax as well. Mistakes happen fairly often with the police, just like any other place: they have gone to the wrong address for a search/arrest, tangled up names and addresses, even sometimes give bad legal advice (esp about handgun carry questions). Not long ago they arrested a co-worker because his car was stolen (it was, and then it was returned to him by the police, but still listed as stolen due to a clerical error) -- he was held for hours before they finally figued it all out. Stuff happens.

Do you have a Common Name? Don't post it just wondering if it could be a mistaking identify thing going on.

You might need to check your credit, FREE, don't sign up for any of those marketing scams. Everyone is entitled to a free Credit report from each of the 3 major credit companies once a year. Equifax, Experian and TransUnion. I am a bit behind myself but I used to space it out about 4 months and so I could get 3 a year (one from each about 4 months apart)

https://www.annualcreditreport.com/cra/index.jsp

Might want to check and make sure nothing crazy is showing up on your reports.

Guest XD9GUY

Of course, this is just me, but since there is no requirement to TELL the LEO that you have a permit, I'm just wondering why you did.

I got pulled over at a traffic stop and had my pistol in my pocket. I have a permit to carry but I didn't see any need to inform the officer that I had a weapon on me. He gave me a warning and sent me on my way. End of story.

That said, I am sorry for all your trouble. It seems that too many times the law abiding citizen gets penalized more than the criminals do.

I am just waiting to see what OS or some of the others that are more enlightened then I have to say..

However the officer probably would have got around to asking if he had any firearms at which point he would have legally had to disclose it. Since that bridge has already been crossed, I am sure interested in seeing him get all the right options. I hope it turns out to be a case of mistaken identity or something like that, that is easy to fix and he get it all fixed. If the error is found in the state system and not his fault it would not be right if it ends of costing to fix it or get his record cleared of this.

Do you have a Common Name? Don't post it just wondering if it could be a mistaking identify thing going on.

You might need to check your credit, FREE, don't sign up for any of those marketing scams. Everyone is entitled to a free Credit report from each of the 3 major credit companies once a year. Equifax, Experian and TransUnion. I am a bit behind myself but I used to space it out about 4 months and so I could get 3 a year (one from each about 4 months apart)

https://www.annualcreditreport.com/cra/index.jsp

Might want to check and make sure nothing crazy is showing up on your reports.

i would think the majority of financial issues would be handled in civil court rather than criminal. What would be a situation to cause a judge to revoke a HCP over a civil matter?

Of course, this is just me, but since there is no requirement to TELL the LEO that you have a permit, I'm just wondering why you did.

I got pulled over at a traffic stop and had my pistol in my pocket. I have a permit to carry but I didn't see any need to inform the officer that I had a weapon on me. He gave me a warning and sent me on my way. End of story.

That said, I am sorry for all your trouble. It seems that too many times the law abiding citizen gets penalized more than the criminals do.

When the officer runs your license, he will see you have a HCP. He can then ask if you are carrying - which you have to answer. Volunteering that you are carrying could change the whole dynamic of a situation. Its possible that by offering the information that he was carrying kept the OP from a stay in the graybar hotel.

Guest m&pc9
i would think the majority of financial issues would be handled in civil court rather than criminal. What would be a situation to cause a judge to revoke a HCP over a civil matter?

I think he was referring to maybe somebody stole his ID. And got into trouble.

Guest Sgt. Joe
wow, that sucks! The only thing I can think of(assuming you're giving us the whole story) is that there has been some kind of mistake.

I'm not sure what good it would do, but you should consider calling or emailing Lisa Knight. She works in the office that issues the HCP's and she is usually really helpful. Tell her what happened and maybe she can tell you why your permit was revoked. I'm really surprised they didn't arrest you.

here is her # 615-251-8590

her email lisa.knight@tn.gov

Whatever is going on Cypher, the above is where to start, Ms. Lisa at DOS is good folks and will point you in whatever direction that you need to go and should be able to see if any mistakes were made on their end.

Good luck to ya.

I certainly hope OP keeps us informed on the progress.

Maybe you can get the answers before your court date, hopefully it is just a paper work error in Nashville and if so maybe the judge will toss out the stop sign part of the ticket for all the trouble.

Did the Officer take your HCP card as well?

Assuming you get cleared of this, you will want to make sure they file all the paper work so that the misdemeanor does not come back to bite you years down the road.

Guest cypher235
Whatever is going on Cypher, the above is where to start, Ms. Lisa at DOS is good folks and will point you in whatever direction that you need to go and should be able to see if any mistakes were made on their end.

Good luck to ya.

I have contacted her via email and she said she would check on it Monday morning for me.

I guess I'm just gonna be waiting till monday to find out a reason but hopefully it is just a mistake.

I mean I guess it could be a pretty common name. I have a kind of confusing name though... My full legal name has three names before my last name, and I've always been called by my second middle name my entire life. I don't know if that would have anything to do with it though. I sign all legal documents with my legal first name, but I sign for my credit card and such with my second middle name. But I don't see how that could mix anything up, my full name was put down on the carry permit application.

Guest razorblade
I'm not some crazy person going around open carrying everywhere just waiting for a police officer to question me about it.

I open carry all the time and I'm not some crazy person either. After open carrying for years, I have only been asked to see my permit one time. After nicely explaining the law to the detective, he was very apologetic. He also contacted his office for clarification, which I fully expected. Not to mention, I am a lot older.

Guest That Guy

Yeah, someone can file an order of protection against you and it is not required that you be notified. That is an automatic HCP revocation. I'm not saying your a creeper, but nearly anyone can and you probably wouldn't know.

I'm anxious for an update and hope it ends well.

Sounds like not much else to do right now, but to wait for Ms. Knight to get back with you tomorrow and then go from there.

Hope it was just some clerical mistake somewhere.

If it turns out that it shouldn't have shown you as revoked I'd ask her for a certified letter stating that your permit is valid and explaining what happened and take it to court and that should be enough.

Guest cypher235
Yeah, someone can file an order of protection against you and it is not required that you be notified. That is an automatic HCP revocation. I'm not saying your a creeper, but nearly anyone can and you probably wouldn't know.

I'm anxious for an update and hope it ends well.

What is this order of protection, I don't think I've ever heard that term before now? A few people have brought that up in this thread. I really can't think of anyone who would want something like that. I've never been in any serious relationships and nothing that ended badly. And what good does something like that do if the person its filed against knows nothing about it?