FN 5.7 pistol. Somebody tell me why its the best hangun in the world.

Will Carry

If you look up Top Ten Pistols on Google, many of them will list the FN 5.7 as the best in the world. It costs less than a Kimber and the ammo is cheaper than the 44 special. So now I'm all exited thinking about buying one of these wonder guns that shoot a rifle cartridge. Then I look at the ballistics of the 5.7 round in this pistols.

The standard FN ammo at 1650fps will give you 241 ft/lbs at the muzzle. They make some hotter ammo that will speed it up to 2100fps and give you 391 ft/lbs of muzzle energy. So now I'm wondering WTF? A 38 special will give you 241 Ft/Lbs of energy. My 1911 shooting 45acps will generate 400 ft/lbs witha 180 grain bullet.

So what is the big deal with the FN 5.7? I still want one but is it really the best handgun in the world? Who shoots one? Give me some feedback. Davidsons has a :poop:load of them for $1037.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am gonna have to call BS on this.

I googled it and found two lists that both list the FN FiveSeven as the number one. Several lists that didn't list it at all though.

My issue with that lists is that both lists didn't list any facts or reasons as to why they chose the pistol. To me it just seemed like fanbois looking at pretty guns and choosing.

While I have no experience with the FiveSeven, and I would like to shoot one, I can't see it being a top ten contender given that it is essentially shoots a hopped up .22WMR.

If I had a PS90, I think it would be fun to have a FiveSeven. But the ammo is scarce, rather expensive (I mostly shoot .22LR, 9mm and Russian Surplus calibers) and not enough to knock my socks off right now. Maybe if it had several lucrative police or armed forces backing it up, I would think harder on it.

That is just me though.

Edit:

I could be slightly mistaken, they do seem to have a larger than average following for such a new pistol. The Secret Service, among many others, use them.

Yeah I'm just curious why this pistol (FN 7.5) appears on so many lists. It must have something going for it. I know it will penetrate some body armor at closer ranges and I know it's accurate with low recoil.

Top 10 Handguns

Top Ten Handguns

http://www.zombiesurvivalwiki.com/page/Top+10+handguns+for+the+Apocalypse!

Top 10 Pistols | RealityPod | Gadgets, Technology & Robotics Hub

Top Ten Handguns « ACGR's "News with Attitude"

Top 10 Best Handguns | Top Ten Reviews and Comparison

Yeah I'm just curious why this pistol (FN 7.5) appears on so many lists. It must have something going for it. I know it will penetrate some body armor at closer ranges and I know it's accurate with low recoil. But it's a 40 grain bullet.

Top 10 Handguns

Top Ten Handguns

Search Results - Zombie Survival & Defense Wiki!

Top 10 Pistols | RealityPod | Gadgets, Technology & Robotics Hub

Top Ten Handguns « ACGR's "News with Attitude"

Top 10 Best Handguns | Top Ten Reviews and Comparison

Guest TnValleyBulletman

It's not on my top 10 list. Think of it as a reloadable 22 mag. Which in it's self isn't bad. But it's not the super dooper wonder gun it's cracked up to be.

My opinion.

This is the pistol the Fort Hood shooter used. I can't understand why it appears on some top ten lists but Walmart don't sell 5.7 ammo, that pretty much ends it for me.

It's not the only pistol he used. As I recall, most were shot with a 9mm. I have a buddy that spent some time with one of them. Low recoil, and fast followup shots.

I have heard that its like a mini .223, prone to tumble, fragment, and penetrate armor, etc. I do not know how much of that was total bs, but that was why one guy said he loved his. Also that its very accurate and long range. Meh. Oddball ammo isnt worth it for me.

It’s popular because of the controversy caused when the Brady Campaign said it would shoot through body armor. They wanted it outlawed which caused it to soar in sales. Sound familiar? :D

Some gun owners get excited when they hear a round will shoot through body armor. I’m not sure what the attraction to that is. I guess either they want to shoot through body armor with a small round or they don’t understand that what makes it go through body armor makes it an undesirable SD round.

Also driving the controversy is FN claiming that they only make the armor piercing rounds available to military and law enforcement. Of course we know that if they get them; we can get them…. And then we have something “Specialâ€. :)

Guest 10mm4me

The 5.7x28 is pretty similar ballistically to the .22WMR. If you look @ ballistic tests, it penetrates about 9" in ballistic gelatin, 4" short of what is required for Federal use. They are cool guns, lightweight, no recoil, and fun. They are $1,100 and ammo is not cheap. They are far from perfect and I would rather have a Glock 17. You know what else will penetrate body armor????? Any centerfire rifle pretty much, whoopity freeeeekin doooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is it the best handgun in the world? No, and I own one. I bought mine long before that jacka$$ murdered those people at Ft. Hood. However, the gun is extremely light, has a very high capacity, and has moderate recoil. It is a great gun and fun to shoot, but I seriously don't think it is the best by any stretch of the imagination. I would take my Nighthawk 2011 9mm Talon any day of the week over the Five Seven.

Now if FN made a compact model Five Seven with a better trigger, then I might rank it up in the top 10 handguns.

Your avatar looks familiar Will. :)

I always liked the trigger on the FiveSeven I had...however, I did sell it. I used to have A PS90...i hated it...loved the pistol though. Very accurate, low recoil, easy to put a lot of rounds on target fast. However im just a 45 guy and unlike the secret service I dont foresee me "going up against" anyone with body armor. Another reason the secret service carry it is probably also because the P90 is their SMG of choice and as far as submachine guns go I think it is currently the cat's meow.

My nightstand gun is a FN FiveSeven, with a Surefire X300 mounted on it. Personally, I think it is a great home defense gun. I like it because of it's capacity, low recoil, super fast follow-uo shots, and accuracy. I have 27gr. SS195LF ammo loaded in it, which is the FN recommended ammo for defense purposes. It is designed not to overpenetrate, and since I live in a townhouse community and have a child in the next room, overpenetration is a concern. If it were not for it's size, it would make an excellent carry gun, as it is super light even with a loaded mag.

It is a great handgun if you want a high capacity, low recoil pistol where overpenetration is a concern. Is it the best handgun out there? No. There is no such thing. However, I would definitely put it in my personal "top 5" list.

Thanks MAV! I'm glad you like your 5.7 Resrvoir Dog! I got a bonus at work this March and after giving my wife half, I have enough left over to buy a quality handgun. I'm thinking H&K, SIG, Colt, Kimber, S&W 27 or maybe a Baretta 92. Then I started seeing the FN 5.7 listed as one of the best in the world. Tha's why I posted this, to get some feedback. Thanks Dog and MAV

Here is my wish list. Please feel free to give me your opinions or tell my I'm a moron for blowing good money on an overprice pistol that wouldn't make me a better shot.:)

1) Baretta Model 92

2) H&K 45

3) Sig 220

4) Smith and Wesson model 27

5) A quality 1911 Colt, Kimber ect.

Edited by Will Carry
10mm4me you may have a great idea. But a Hi Point in 45acp. Then save the rest of my money to buy gas with. Are they easy to strip down for cleaning or do you really need to?

I think he may have been yankin' your chain. Anyway, I think the dirt just falls out of it. No need to clean.

1) Baretta Model 92

2) H&K 45

3) Sig 220

4) Smith and Wesson model 27

5) A quality 1911 Colt, Kimber ect.

Where's your CZ love. Put a 75 or Sp-01 in there and you got a winner. I'd throw a glock in the mix too.

Edited by tntnixon
Guest Maelphaedor

I'm a big BIG fan of FN stuff, but FiveSeven just doesn't do it for me. It's literally the only weapon they have in current production that I don't want. Nothing against the 5.7x28, works great in the P90 platform, just as a handgun I'd rather make a single shot and have it hit like a truck than 4+ rounds that bleed you out. And, well, the gun just isn't visually appealing to me. It's proportions just look all wrong.

Never shot one though, far as I know it could be one of those guns that I hate on paper, but get one in my hands and it's suddenly a magical experience.

Guest drv2fst

I had one for a long time. I really liked it. As many others have said, it's accurate, light, low recoil, high capacity. Makes for a great gun.

I was concerned about the paper stats, so I took it out and shot it along with a 9mm and a .45 against various targets (melons, coconuts, water containers, ...). I was impressed enough to make it my EDC gun for a year or so.

Keep in mind that the Secret Service can get ammo that we can't. So their use of the gun is not really that relevant. With steel core ammo this gun would be even better but that is not possible for the rest of us. Now the P90 with steel core ammo on full auto...that would lay down an impressive amount of firepower.

I don't believe in ANY top 10 best in the world list. No product is best for everyone.

Eventually, I tired of the FiveSeven and PS90 and sold them. I switched to 1911's, no good reason, just personal preference.

if you want to take care of body armor,.. just ask a bow-hunter.... or a Longbow enthusiast.. yep right through most armor...

light recoil and quiet..

though it loses points for concealability

had a guy tell me in a gun shop how a 10mm is superior to a .40 Short & Weak which I was on his side for..easy one sort of the old .38 vs. .357 rehash....

then the 5.7 he lost me

" it will tear through body armor like it was nothin.." he claims..

I responded "really? a .223 short and weak " ??

Granted finding volunteers to step in front of any of these would be difficult lets not make a Chevette out to be a Camaro...

John

I'm no expert but most of us will never need to defeat body armor, Besides there's more to a target than the armor, remember how they finally got the second shooter in Hollywood bank of America holdup ?

My wife went looking for a Father's Day gift the other year. Guys at gunshop convinced her to get me a 5.7. Surprised the heck out of me!! Definitely high in the different category. 20 round magazines. Shot some groups at 100 yards I could cover with my hand. Little recoil but some blast. About what I think a 22 Hornet would do in a stubby barrel.

Thought about bolting a scope mount on via the rail just to see what it really is capable of accuracy wise.

Still, I really consider it a well-made, expensive plinker.