Ya'll get'n stoked for turkey season yet ???

Guest Appalachian

Guest Appalachian

I'm look'n forward to it, the grass is get'n greener and the trees are work'n up sap, its spring time in Tennessee, aint nothin better...untill fall anyway.

been play'n with my turkey calls,try'n out my trusty ol my shotgun, poke'n around in teh woods...start'n to get the bug myself.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went fishing with friends yesterday, got a dose of ticks just standing in a gravel road! I HATE TICKS!! But, I'm going to have to deal with it while scouting and Turkey hunting....hum bug! I might have to wrap myself in FOIL...

Guest Appalachian

I bought a 870 sps from young man last winter & finally got around to shoot'n it yeaterday, I placed a target at about 25 paces then grabbed up a Winchester(lead) #6 long brass from the box, pull the gun(factory mod choke in it) up long enuff for both of the beads to line up and let'er eat, it suprised me ho wgood it shot, i know it was at close range but it just tore my target all to pieces.

So I got ponder'n on the challenge of call'n one in close enuff to unload some #6s on him, maybe I've forgot the fun factor with my hevi shot and indian creek choke and all the other "necesities", not to mention the money.

Think I'll start polish'n my call'n skills and mite just shoot lead shot(#6s of course), just for the challenge.

Anybody planning on turkey hunting with a 20 gauge? If so, what choke and what shell/shot? I think I have some of the Remington "Nitro-Turkey" loads in #4 shot. Anyone used these in 20 gauge, and did they get the job done?

My daughter uses a mossberg 500 in 20ga. with an Undertaker Choke. Last year she was shooting the Nitro Turkey loads in #5 and it patterned pretty good out to 30 yards. This year I switch her over to Hevi Shot Magnum blends and they put a lot more shot on target.

I'm look'n forward to it...

I'm excited too, and I don't even hunt them - I was driving through the Franklin / Grassland area Sunday on 31 and saw a big ole longbeard (seriously - his beard was dragging along the grass) wandering like a fool through a horse pasture, no more than 30 yards from the road. I was immediately seized with the desire to go buy some camo, a shotgun, and plenty of peanut oil.

My daughter uses a mossberg 500 in 20ga. with an Undertaker Choke. Last year she was shooting the Nitro Turkey loads in #5 and it patterned pretty good out to 30 yards. This year I switch her over to Hevi Shot Magnum blends and they put a lot more shot on target.

Thanks for the reply Whiskey. I have some 12 gauge (even magnum) shotguns, but just like the 20 gauge. I have a special turkey choke for the 20 gauge, but other than a full choke, I don't have a turkey choke for my 12 gauge magnum. I've never shot any of the "Hevi Shot". Maybe it's time I check them out. If your daughter is as handy with the shotgun as she is with the fishing pole... those gobblers had better stay on the roost!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm ready to get out hunting Saturday. This will be my first time turkey hunting. I'll be taking my FN SLP Mk 1, Tru-glo turkey choke, and Hornady 3" #5 shells. I'm thinking I'll probably just scare them off with my attempt at calling.

Well I'm up and getting ready. I'm headed out to Westmoreland. Seen a big beautiful turkey last year and my guts telling me I should go there. May not get him or heck even see him but im giving it a shot. Good luck everyone!