TN carry permit question

Guest mklaglock19

Guest mklaglock19

Hi! I have a quick question. I am taking my carry permit course this Saturday and was wondering if anyone could tell me what the distances are that I will need to shoot to qualify. I am new to shooting so I would like to practice.

I need to get the permit as soon as possible as I am driving to VA in June with my two young children and a puppy. On top of that , I am 4'11 and weigh about 95 lbs so I am a prime target.

Edited by mklaglock19
add info
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi! I have a quick question. I am taking my carry permit course this Saturday and was wondering if anyone could tell me what the distances are that I will need to shoot to qualify. I am new to shooting so I would like to practice.

Welcome to TGO! Some of the shots are "instructor discretion" up to a maximum of 25 yards. The rest are from 3, 7, and 15 yards.

Don't worry too much about the shooting qualification. Very easy, even for someone with limited experience.

Guest mklaglock19

Thanks. I'm sure I'll do fine but I have a wrist flinch (over anticipating the shot) so I just want to get in as much practice as possible.

I need to get the permit as soon as possible as I am driving to VA in June with my two young children and a puppy. On top of that , I am 4'11 and weigh about 95 lbs so I am a prime target.

You'll probably be suprised how well you do in the class. Some have never fired a pistol before taking the class.

Welcome to TGO and kudos for stepping up to the plate to protect yourself and your children.

If I am not mistaken, I think the longest I shot was 15 yrds, but this has been a few years ago. If you can, try to procure a .22 pistol to practice with and even to take your test with if you are nervous about flinching too much. Best of luck with it.

Guest NashvegasMatt

I have seen some people who should not have passed get through, so you need not worry... not sure how going to VA has anything to do with TN permitting, but nonetheless.

Guest bkelm18
I have seen some people who should not have passed get through, so you need not worry... not sure how going to VA has anything to do with TN permitting, but nonetheless.

You can carry concealed in VA with a TN permit.

Guest friesepferd

dont worry about the test too much you will do fine.

to help out with the flinching, do a LOT of dry firing.

Also doing ball and dummy drills helps a lot- get some dummy rounds (fake correctly sized plastic ammo made for practicing with), and fill your magazine up with some live rounds and some dummy rounds (or better, have someone else do it), so that when you are shooting, you never know if its going to go bang or click. that helps a TON with getting rid of the overantisipation problem

Guest nicemac

I took it that she is a small person, traveling with small kids, and wants the protection that carrying will give her…

Guest mklaglock19

Thanks. My husband bought me a Sig Mosquito for my test after he bought my Glock 19 but I like shooting the Glock better. Not to mention the Glock is what I will be carrying so I need to be proficient with it. My husband is still trying to wrap his mind around the fact I like the 9mm over a 22.

How did the class go?

You mentioned in your OP that you'll be travelling soon to Virginia. Check this thread.

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/handgun-carry-self-defense/414-tennessee-handgun-permit-resources.html

The Other Resources section of this post has links to various sites that list individual state gun laws. As was said before, You're A-OK in Virginia with a TN permit for concealed carry (no open carry in VA). I always check these links before heading out of state for the things like carry in restaurants serving alcohol, churches, etc.

Welcome to TGO.

Guest bkelm18
As was said before, You're A-OK in Virginia with a TN permit for concealed carry (no open carry in VA).

Open carry is legal in VA without a permit.

Open carry is legal in VA without a permit.

Irony of VA law: for years, you could open carry in booze serving establishment but couldn't conceal carry in them. So folks who normally concealed (necessary with permit) would move their shirts to reveal their guns while in those places.

Now they've made it legal to conceal carry in booze serving places too.

- OS

Guest friesepferd
Irony of VA law: for years, you could open carry in booze serving establishment but couldn't conceal carry in them. So folks who normally concealed (necessary with permit) would move their shirts to reveal their guns while in those places.

Now they've made it legal to conceal carry in booze serving places too.

- OS

yep. thats what a lot of states do actually. michigan also has open carry without a permit (and also no "no carry zones"), and you cant carry in bars (and other places) concealed with a permit. so yea.. certainly some people just swap to open carry in such establishments. Thats generally only done in the more 'gun friendly' towns though.

yep. thats what a lot of states do actually. michigan also has open carry without a permit (and also no "no carry zones"), and you cant carry in bars (and other places) concealed with a permit. ...

I don't know about "bar carry" in MI, but you can conceal carry in alcohol serving restaurants there with permit.

- OS

Guest monkeyhumper

Good luck getting your permit by June! It took me more than six months to get my permit, but that was only because I had an arrest in 2003 that they had no info about, other than it was an arrest. Thanks, Officer Jerkface! (He was in the wrong, case dismissed.)

Guest mklaglock19

My class went very well. Went to RangeUSA and had Chip Holland as an instructor. I highly recommend him..he is hilarious and made the class alot of fun as well as informative. Anyway, got a 100 on the written and a 97 on the range.