Damn Turkeys!!!!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
Guest GunTroll

Taught one to never come near any hen sounds today. 40 yards and peppered ever tree around him but missed his head. And got trespassed on. Maybe later I'll find out I found the mother load of ticks too!

Guest BEARMAN

They were gobbling good this morning; however, I only had a lone longbeard sneak in silently around 9:30 a.m. and presented no shot opertunity.

Guess I'll try 'em again this afternoon.

Anyone else have any luck at all?

Well this thread has the appropriate title.

I got my butt kicked today. Birds roosted on another ridge than they have been roosting for weeks. Morning set up was busted. We adjusted and got on the birds before they pitched down, but couldn't get in front of them. Followed them all morning, just a step behind them. We didn't get aggressive since it's only day one of 6 weeks.

A steel T fence post does not make a great back rest.

Gonna get back at it in the morning.

Guest Jcochran88

Had a tough go at it today myself. Started with them in a total different spot than where I roosted them Friday night. then a coyote busted in on them as they where coming across the field to me. Got back at it this afternoon set up only 1 hen decoy and soft called at 2 toms that where about 200 yards across a field they tucked tail and ran away. Did have a squirrel about sit on my head.

Guest GunTroll

I sure hope todays bird was the same bird I shot at yesterday. It makes me feel better to think he was anyways. Laugh and fly away at me! I' show'd em'. One bird down!

Can't wait to get with you Whiskey and drop the hammer. Keep at it my friend! Talk latter.

Our neighbors screwed up our morning plans. We moved and managed to find birds, but not until it was too late and they were headed off our place. Moved to another property and got on birds, but couldn't get them trough the thick stuff between us. They never left the middle of the field for over two hours. They just circled around and finally laid up under a shade tree out in the field. Went back to the first property to try to get on an afternoon bird with the wind blowing like nobody's business. Saw six toms total this afternoon, but both times they had the upper hand and I just got to watch them leave.

Good news is that we have birds. Plenty of time to shoot them in the face :) Guess I am going to have to get GunTroll to show me how to do it.

Guest GunTroll

Hot! Too Damn hot!

Mornings till about 9 or so are great but after that its time to seek shade and hydrate! Followed by beer when the huntn' is done.

What everyone else's report after the 10 o'clock hour? Real quite is my report.

Guest BEARMAN
Hot! Too Damn hot!

Mornings till about 9 or so are great but after that its time to seek shade and hydrate! Followed by beer when the huntn' is done.

What everyone else's report after the 10 o'clock hour? Real quite is my report.

Sounds to me like the boys are all "henned up". Gonna be a week or two, then they'll be looking for love again.

Y'all hang in there.

Got me another place to hunt. It's a small field and my buddy said they come out in all the time. He doesn't hunt them and told me I could. Come thursday and Friday I will be out with decoys up and I'm just gonna wait on them. He said he's seen them at all times of the day so I may be sitting awhile but it might pay off.

Guest clutepc

The Title of this thread is perfect...

Anyone else having a problem with henned up birds?

I did get lucky on the first day but I haven't had anything close since then.

Walked in the woods Sunday to Toms gobbling as hard as they could.

I didn't hear any hens responding so I thought I got lucky, because I got in close and it was just me.

I made one soft hen tree yelp and the woods came alive with hens.

Turns out I was surrounded by them, I didn't have a chance after that.

They gobbled all day long to anything I did, then when one would start working to me a hen would start up and off he went.

Each year about the 2 week into the season I remember how much these things can drive you crazy.

Guest GunTroll

I think its much more of me vs. hens at this point rather than me vs. Ole Tom.

I'm with you on the two week issue. I think it will get better if they don't become to wise to our calls here in a week or so. At least thats what I'm telling myself.

Whiskey....Lafayette was a bust. Rough terrain for locating and sneaking.

Guest clutepc

Too bad they don't have a hen day in the spring to thin some of them out. :x:

I seem to be good at calling them, twice this weekend they came up my decoys and just hang out eating.

I just stop calling and let them do the work for me, but as soon as a tom gobbles, they leave, heading to him I'm sure.

:P

I'm from Wyoming, Montana neighborhood. We didn't have turkeys until some damnfool decided he'd raise some wild ones. "just for fun"...now the state of between Montana and Wyoming is lousy with them and the Game and Fish decided they're a game bird. They wear calendar rolexes...day before season they all move to Montana. Dumb birds...that's the Crow Reservation and they don't recodnize the words "hunting season"...it's all good, year round.

Whiskey....Lafayette was a bust. Rough terrain for locating and sneaking.

I figured out how we can get them. We got to get us a couple of saddle bred billy goats. I used to ride one around the hills and hollers back home. Don't try it bareback, you got to have a special goat saddle.

We are gonna need a long legged one for you. :)