keltec 22mag

Jaysan60

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A friend of mine has one and he loves it. He recently shot it for the first time and said it ran flawlessly. Thats one thing, after reading so much about it, that I was concerned with, was feeding issues, but he said he had NONE I want one!.

The KTOG forum has a lot of owners talking about this new product. It is rumored to be picky about the ammo. You can learn a lot about the gun there, though it does have a bias toward favorable opinions, being a forum dedicated to kel tec guns.

I'll probably never buy one, but I sure would like to. I have several boxes of CCI and I don't even own a 22 mag. {don't ask, I don't know why either!}

Thirty rounds, that's awesome. AND it beats the FN57 IMHO, for a super high capacity, small caliber handgun. Maybe if these catch on, prices on 22 mag will fall a bit. Ppffttt yeah right.:D

I think Keltec recommends only CCI 22mag ammo in the manual.

The word is to use that ammo, yes, but the online comments about the gun say:

-------

It operates on a unique hybrid blow-back/locked-breech system allowing use of a wide variety of ammunition as it seamlessly adjusts between locked-breech and blow-back operation, depending on the pressure of the cartridge...

-------

Taken from the kel-tec site, in the "our pistols" area (Kel Tec CNC)

The online manual says:

The PMR-30 pistol functions best with high power ammo, often with bullet weights of 40gr

and up. This includes, but is not limited to, the following:

-CCI Maxi Mag 40gr

-Winchester Super-X 40gr

-Remington Premier Magnum 33gr

Low power ammo and/or light-weight bullets may cause failure to feed problems due to the

lack of energy to cycle the slide all the way back. The following are currently low power,

and may not function reliably in the PMR-30 pistol, especially if the grip is not held firmly:

-Winchester Dynapoint 45gr

-Winchester Supreme 30gr

Please take the ammo type into account before sending your pistol in for repair work. All

testing at the factory will be done with high-power ammo.

.... Trust the manual, but they really need to fix that website statement (which predates manufacture of the gun) to fit the reality.

I've considered one of these, mostly because of the capacity. I just can't bring myself to pay that kind of cash for it. I wish someone would make a pistol in .22LR that held 30 rounds. THAT I would buy.

Amen. I have seriously considered getting a 10/22 and cutting it down to a pistol with the 30 round mag. But the money for the result is just a bit steep, including the fees and hassle to get it approved and legal.

The plr-16 by kel tech is a high cap 22 LR but its too big for what you probably wanted.

Amen. I have seriously considered getting a 10/22 and cutting it down to a pistol with the 30 round mag. But the money for the result is just a bit steep, including the fees and hassle to get it approved and legal.

The plr-16 by kel tech is a high cap 22 LR but its too big for what you probably wanted.

If you just want a pistol, buy a Ruger Charger.

I meant a 10/22. The way you were talking was you wanted a pistol 10/22 but it was too expensive to convert a rifle (also illegal). But the charger IS a 10/22 so there is no extra fees or legal issues.

But yeah it is heavy if you are trying to shoot like a regular pistol. That's what the bipod is.

Ah no not specifically the 10-22, but a 30ish round 22 of some sort. With the bipod, the pistol weighs as much as the rifle, costs $100 more, and has to be adapted to take the after market mags, best I can tell. It doesnt exist, maybe this 22 mag one will be converted someday.

I have had mine for a month. The key to it feeding is that its picky about how u load the mag and how they stackup in the mag. Mine runs flawlessly. 30 rds is unbelievable FUN !

PS, I have a Green Viridian Laser on mine.

Edited by tacturtle