Thoughts on the Baretta PX4 Storm Subcompact

Guest dboonekilledabearhere

Even though these are a little thick, I have always liked the look and feel of this pistol so I finally ordered one to try for my EDC. I have ordered a Kholster IWB as the method of carry. It will be here Wednesday and I am anxious to take it to the range. Does anyone have any thoughts/experience with these?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest motonut

I have a PX4 Storm Sub C and love it. Great size IMHO. No experience with a holster though. For a while after first getting my gun spare mags (esp the finger extender vs.) were nowhere to be found but lately MidwayUSA has had them. I really like the gun but have only put about 300 or so rds. through it (several others in the safe like to be shot too!).

I have one in .40 caliber.

First the bad stuff:

I was somewhat upset; I got mine early and beretta had said that all models had the rotating barrel and reduced recoil (this was a mistake on their part, we had words). Other than that, its fat and I ended up grinding flat the "bunny ears" safety levers to reduce its total width somewhat. Finally, with the magazine full, its hard to get the mag to click into the gun (going full and +1 for carry). If I take 1 round of of the mag, it clicks easily.

And the good stuff:

Its heavy as lead, making the recoil quite managable. I can even control it one handed if need be. Its small: I can get it into my pockets usually, its not really a pocket gun but it can be made to work as one if you like. Its a good shooter for a defensive gun, with a reasonable DA trigger pull that is safe enough to leave the safety off all the time (its as safe as a safetyless glock or DAO gun this way) and a great SA trigger (for a defensive gun). The backstrap changeout is nice, as is the magazine with the pinky drop down. External hammer, which is hard to find in so small a gun. Its well made and rugged. Its accurate.

Bottom line: I am happy with it. Its a lot of firepower in a small package, the most powerful gun I have found that fits into most normal clothing of mine (I know pockets vary). Once the fishook safetys were gone and I had some break in, it became my primary carry and remains my primary.

If you like small, heavy guns with DA and external hammers, its perfect. If you like DAO or long triggers, light weight plastic guns, or similar, it may not be for you.

How would a person with small hands like this pistol? My wife's been trying to find a nice subcompact for ages.

The grip adapts on the spine only. While you can make it smaller with the smallest insert, the gun is, after all is said and done, FAT. Depending on her hands, it may be too wide even in the smallest configuration. There is only one answer to that: take her to a store, beg the clerk to swap in the smallest back (this takes 10 seconds, for real, its simple), then let her feel of it.

I was gonna buy one until I found out that it HAD NO ROTATING BARREL . I think that was the whole PX4 idea . I love the rotating barrel system but I just decided on not getting it based on this . I just went with a Stoeger Cougar and never looked back .

I will be taking it for some range time this week maybe tomorrow. I will post pics and report. I think I am going to like it a lot :devil: