Serious question

Guest Jvanhoosen

Guest Jvanhoosen

So I was just wondering how many of you members have actually had to draw your weapon of choice due to circumstances beyond your control. And if you have have you ever had to use it to save your life or the life of another person?

Edited by Jvanhoosen
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not me. I have never had to draw my weapon.

Brandishing a weapon is a crime here in North Carolina. If I did draw my weapon because of a threat and the act of drawing the weapon ended the threat, that would be OK with me, I don't care what they call it.

Not me. I have never had to draw my weapon.

Brandishing a weapon is a crime here in North Carolina. If I did draw my weapon because of a threat and the act of drawing the weapon ended the threat, that would be OK with me, I don't care what they call it.

It is here as well and I hope no one will openly and voluntarily admit to committing a crime on an open forum. :D That being said, the rule of thumb is this: If the circumstances are such you need to draw your weapon, more than likely a bullet needs to be coming out of the end of it. Otherwise it needs to stay holstered till the threat justifies drawing it.

I can't say I "brandished" the weapon but, I made sure the guy saw that I was open carrying and it changed his direction.

I was almost out of gas and in a bad part of town while working. When I pulled up next to the pump, I noticed five or six unemployed individuals sipping beveages out of paper bags beside the store. I slid on my rarely used Fobus paddle holster and holstered the gun. As I walked to the passenger side of the vehicle, I kept the gun on the far side from the "onlookers". Maybe two galllons had hit the tank before one of the unemployed, paper bag beverage sipping, individuals decided he'd like to come out and speak with me. As he neared the back of the vehicle, I could hear him "clanking" some coins in his hand. When he got about 10 feet from the vehicle, he called out, "Hey Mane!". I turned around the long way to make sure he saw the gun. (I'll call this brandishing.) He responded by saying, "Wuzzup?" and then IMMEDIATELY turned the other way and walked to a large fellow that was also filling his tank from behind the license plate (read old hoopty).

I heard him ask the other guy if he had a "solid dollar" for some change. As soon as the guy produced his wallet, the change from the paper bag beverage sipper was thrown in his face and the wallet was slapped to the ground. He picked up the wallet and took off running. I immediately put the nozzle back, got in the truck, and left.

That's exciting as it got. Scared me more afterwards than it did at the time. I hope that is as close as I ever have to get to actually using it.

Just to clarify....in TN there is no law on "brandishing". If you display a firearm to someone and make them "reasonably fear imminent bodily injury" you had better be justified in using it, otherwise you could be charged with Aggravated Assault.

AZ is the only state I know of that has a law that specifically allows you to display a firearm in an attempt to defuse a situation.

All that said...

No I have never shown or drawn my handgun. I pocket carry and once or twice I have had my hand on it and my head on more of a swivel because of location, time or situation.

I did pull my weapon in Savannah, GA when I and my wife were about to be mugged by 3 would-be assailants. They turned and ran so fast, I didn't bother pulling the trigger. Police and DA's get kinda funny about shooting folks in the back.

Would that be considered "brandishing"? I have no idea. I do know that we did not get mugged and I am alive to tell the tale.

I learned one other thing. In Savannah, one street can be nothing but millionaires, but the next street over can be "the 'hood". No clear lines of demarcation.

Well, things change and are always in motion, but I don't believe in brandishing. If you remove your weapon, it should be draw sight and fire. Otherwise, leave it there. When the other guy has a gun, he's in control. When you bring a gun into the equation, he loses part of that control. If you're not going to try to put the BG down, then you jeopardize too much by bringing in another gun. Two people do not point guns at each other (only in hollywood) Someone is going to fire. Brandishing, thats just taking too big a risk the BG will react instantly. Could get you, a loved one or a bystander hurt or killed. Don't want that on my hands. I think I could live with a BG's blood on my hands (Don't know/hope I never find out) but my wife or a bystander??? Not worth the gamble. Put the BG down or leave it hidden. Brandishing just escalates the situation.

In the end, the most powerful weapon is between your ears. Pay more attention to the people around you. In your mind be biased, partial, racist and judgmental. No need to tell all that, just do it in your mind, and keep lots of open real estate with the sheep and wolves. Some of you can't I know. Social critters, some of you.

I can't say I "brandished" the weapon but, I made sure the guy saw that I was open carrying and it changed his direction.

This.

He had a much better attitude after seeing my Sig.

Right, now for jerks with an attitude but not visible weapon, a casual switch to open carry when they aren't looking will change things. Just don't start doing some Clint Eastwood; Slinging back your shirt or jacket and giving the high noon stare.:(

Guest tnxdshooter

I have never had to pull it but have put my hand on it a few times and the would be assailant who was in highland park (i was visiting a friend) down there saw me put my hand on my hip and saw my gun print and he walked away. Now I have been with a dude back before I had my hcp that had his hcp. We had just stopped at a gas station on the way home to dayton in east ridge after having worked all night. Well to make a long story short this crack head/meth head or whatever he was kept asking for change, me and my friend denied his request. He cussed us took a step back and reached in his pocket. A knife came out and my buddies glock 27 came out. The dude peed his pants, dropped the knife and ran. The cops were across the road and they came over there. After verifying my friend had a permit they told my buddy he should have shot the dude. One less drug head they would have to worry about is what they said. Some anti-gun lady asked my friend if he really would have shot that guy. My buddy replied maam I sincerely hope that I never have to shoot anyone however if he had advanced towards me or started swinging that knife at me then yes I would have shot him. My buddy was the TN state pistol champ and was sponsored by glock at the time. He probably wouldn't have missed.

Guest cheez
Never had to pull my weapon to protect myself. Hope I never do. I don't know anyone who has. Doesn't mean I'm going to risk not having it handy.

+1

Guest db99wj

I've had my hand on it.

So for those that believe in if you pull it, use it frame of mind, what happens if you pull it on a guy like above that has a knife, he pee's himself and drops the knife, should you still have shot?

I don't believe that just because you draw your weapon, you should fire. I also don't believe that if you are in a situation that is not life threatening, that pulling your gun or brandishing with not intent to use it if necessary to get you out of it is right either.

Let me be very clear, I'm capable, I'm willing, I'm prepared, to pull the trigger. No question. I will shoot a threat, I have no question, hesitation, etc in my mind. However, I don't believe that every situation that you have drawn your weapon, requires a spent shell casing to hit the floor.

On two occasions I've reached into my pocket, but never actually pulled the gun out. Luckily, both times the people on the would be receiving end were smart enough to know what was about to take place and changed their minds. Once in the parking lot of the Rivergate mall, and once at a gas station in Huntsville Alabama. Both times were similar, in that I was out of the car and noticed there were several black men surrounding me and closing in toward me. Both times, they scattered as I reached into my front pocket. That is a terrible feeling. I'm sure happy that neither time things went any further. Sorry if this offends anyone, but I'm describing what happened as accurately as I know how.

Guest rebeldrummer

I have done private security for many years now for an ATM company out of Nashville. There is a lot of travel involved and I have been in countless areas here around the south-east that are what you might call "rough"...many of the actual ATM locations are in bars, 24 hr gas stations, ect. I have never drawn down on someone, but there have been several times where I have put my hand on it (open carry in these situations) When dealing with open vaults on ATMS, large stacks of money and being in rough areas late at night....you tend to get "HARD" stares from a few questionable individuals.

I had an individual get out of his cadallac and approach me with a baseball bat. As I placed a .357 on the dashboard, he realized he had brought a bat to a gunfight and returned to his car. He didn't wait for the traffic light to change as he immediatey drove away.

Yes, In Wyoming. Shot and killed a rabid dog...does that count? I have to admit I didn't know I'd done it. My son said, "Dad, how did you do that? The dog growled and it was dead. I never even saw you draw. We were fishing and several miles upstream from Story WY.