M1 Garand in 308

Caster

The wife and I were talking this evening and she mentioned how she missed the Garand we used to have. It was a fun gun until it self destructed. It's as much my fault as anything. I was shooting steel Barnaul through a Century arms built M1. I was naive and didn't know that Century arms built the most miserable garbage ever assembled. Anyway, back to my point.

She mentioned that she missed it and I told her as much as I am fond of the design, I'm not willing to get back into 30/06 just to have one. I just got my inventory consolidated and I don't want another mouth to feed. Especially one as consuming as the ought six.

Then it dawned on me. I recall seeing Springfield Armory Garands in 308 at one time. Now I could go for that. I think I would really enjoy owning a quality Garand also. One that wasn't assembled by blind quadriplegic yard apes like Century Arms.

So does anyone have one they'd like to tell me about?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Get behind me! I rebuke you!

No seriously, I just can't, after culling over a dozen calibers, get back to accumulating more. I only load for three rifle calibers and three pistol. AND I'm fixing to cull 8mm from the roster leaving me only loading two rifle calibers (308 & 223).

I love reloading more than I care to admit, but it's so relieving to know whats going on at my bench without pouring over piles of notes. At one time I was loading for over 20 different calibers. Not any more.

Nope, if I get one it'll have to be in 308.

When at Ft Benning, all of those crusty old Warrant Officers from the AMU swear by the Garrand in .308. Most are retired and run the ranges there.

I was told all that was needed was a re-barrel and a adaptor block. The Air Force and the Navy had them made in .308.

There is plenty on the subject on the internet.

The Navy had some Garand’s converted to .308, but if you find one it will cost a bunch. You can buy a new production Garand that is.308. Of course you will spend about three times the cost of a military Garand.

I can buy 200 rounds of 30-06 for $106.95 delivered to my house. I wish I could do that with .308.

I'll agree that a Garand should be .30-06. If you want .308, get an M1A.

I can buy 200 rounds of 30-06 for $106.95 delivered to my house. I wish I could do that with .308.

Not sure what you mean here.... I'll agree that $0.50/rd is a very good price for .30-06, you can also get .308 for that lots of places online.

I just wondered if anyone had one.

I'm not buying a 30/06. There's nothing a 30/06 can do that a 308 cannot in the real world, so I get no benefit from having to tool up for loading another round (if I don't reload it, I don't shoot it).

A BM-59 would be awesome bajabuc, but that's dreaming.

An M1A is not a Garand, and my wife mentioned a Garand. She asked for Mayonnaise not Miracle Whip. If it were for me, I'd go with an M1A too, but this aint me.

50¢ each I suppose isn't too bad, but I can load 308 for about 30¢ each.

Ruger makes a garand action in the mini 30, which might be convertable to a 308 (I do not know, but its a thought). I would not wreck a true garand to convert it, start with this new gun instead.

Besides, a 308 is just a 30-06, ballistically. Its the same round, why mess up a garand to chamber a round that you cannot tell the difference in anyway?

Why is it so hard for people to understand that he doesn't want an extra caliber to reload. I completely understand.

There are MILLIONS of garands. Altering one is not gonna hurt the lot of them.

Besides, my post outlines building your own from a stripped receiver. Not really wrecking anything there.

I had a Garand in .308. It was a great rifle. I had a lot of .308 ammo and didn't want to add 30-06 to the mix. The guy I got it from bugged me for years to get it back and I finally sold it back to him. I do want it back, but may only get it in his will. LOL.

If you want a .308 Garand, get one. Nothing wrong with them!

Wow I think the best route would be to get a cheaper grade garand from the cmp. And then send it off to some one who specializes in making 308 garands. However sacrilegious it may be you will end up with a garand that will shoot circles around any stock ones. Assuming you get the accurizing goodies

I know of 2 ".308 insert" M-1's waiting for the day they are rebarreled....sometimes the insert either doesn't seat right or migrates and gets stuck... :(

Having said that,.. find you an M-1 'smith and have one rebarreled I am not sure of who here in Tn. is "The Man" for the job..

Fulton Armory , Tanks Rifle Shop etc.

You may want to also get a .308 spacer for the Garand that makes it impossible to load a clip of 30-06 (about $15).

Callahan Magazine Spacer M1 Garand 308 Winchester Aluminum - MidwayUSA

by the way .. .308 can't be too sacrilegious if the USN did it.. since the original Garand design was a .276 caliber and the US Armed Services wanted to standardize with the rest of the inventory and specified no box magazine because they didn't want to change the manual of arms ( later solved with the M-14 by removing the magazines prior to right shouldering arms) they have been messing with JCG's design from the beginning...

Imagine how short WW2 would have been with 20 round semi-auto Garand rifles since we were still a nation of riflemen.. BAR mags interchanging,.. could have worked well..;)

But I digress...

John

Edited by LngRngShtr

I have always wanted a Garand, and after looking at the link to Shuff's page, I think I will save my pennies to get one of the mini-g's. I do not know if you have looked at it, or what your budget is, but that guy sells complete .308 rifles. Looks kinda spendy, but it also looks like you get a rather steller rifle.

found this on the C&R thread,.. DaveTN offered this name for M-1 in post "My Latest Rifle" you will find some good M-1 info that subforum since it is a "old" Rifle now..

Heres the name and #

Match Service Works

Ronnie Morris

422 Maple Street,

Madison TN 37115.

615-868-4567

Yep C&R is defined by ATF as :

Firearms automatically attain C&R status when they are 50 years old. Any firearm that is at least 50 years old, and in its original configuration, would qualify as a C&R firearm. It is not necessary for such firearms to be listed in ATF’s C&R list. Therefore, ATF does not generally list firearms in the C&R publication by virtue of their age. However, if you wish for a classification of your particular firearm under categories (;) or © above and wish your item to be listed, you may submit the weapon to the Firearms Technology Branch (FTB) for a formal classification.

Edited by LngRngShtr
C&R definition..