Cracker Barrel - No Open Carry

According to folks on OpenCarry Forums, Cracker Barrels in VA are beginning to tell folks they're not allowed to open carry. Has happened also in the Athens, TN CB according to one poster.

Was first reported that it was up to manager discretion, but has now been pretty well shown to be a corporate policy.

- OS

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Chattanoogan

Hmm, they get to hang scatter guns over their fireplace, but we cant display our hardware? :-( Darn.....

I rarely open carry but that's my observation...

In a perfect world, people wouldn't be bothered by the sight of an open carried gun.

Unfortunately, since that's not the case, I think CB is taking a reasonable stance with this, business wise, and are trying to please the most people. You can still carry a gun and the sheep aren't bothered.

They could have just as easily posted all their locations.

Guest tnxdshooter
According to folks on OpenCarry Forums, Cracker Barrels in VA are beginning to tell folks they're not allowed to open carry. Has happened also in the Athens, TN CB according to one poster.

Was first reported that it was up to manager discretion, but has now been pretty well shown to be a corporate policy.

- OS

Weird I have open carried several times in crack barrells and never been told to cover up. Managers even would say nice gun. No one seemed to care. Hmmmmmm some anti gunners must have eaten there and complained. Heck, just another reason to carry concealed.

according to a guy on defensive carry they are not only against open carry but against concealed carry too.

Tonight the wife and I went to Cracker Barrel in Richmond for dinner. After being served a manager approached and informed me Cracker Barrel policy on guns has been changed and they are now prohibited in their stores. This policy is for all legal carry, whether concealed or open carried. I just sent the following e-mail and will await their reply to it. I will post their reply when I receive it.

He sent this reply to CB on 3/20 but has not received a response yet.

I am writing in reference to an apparent change to Cracker Barrel policy on the carrying of firearms in your stores.

I have frequented your restaurants for close to 10 years and it has always been the policy, as far as I know, that Cracker Barrel followed the laws of the state they were located in as to the carrying of firearms.

Tonight, March 20, my wife and I went to Store #592 in Richmond Virginia. We have eaten at this location on an average of 2 to 3 times a month since it opened. I have always carried a firearm there. Tonight I was informed by management that I would have to leave my gun in my car, since corporate offices had sent out a e-mail changing their policy and guns were no longer allowed in the stores. Since our meals had just been brought to the table I complied with the policy and removed my gun. When I re-entered the store I double checked to see if there was a sign posting the store as off limits for carrying. There was no sign posted.

I respect your right to set policy in your stores, but I feel that as a law abiding citizen your restriction places me in an unsafe position. While the inside of your stores may a safe environment, the parking lot is not. Your policy places me in a dangerous situation entering and exiting your stores. It also forces me to leave a gun inside a vehicle, unattended.

Law carriers of guns have passed background checks to receive a carry permit, as well as the training and expense associated with it. We will obey the policies you place on us. The criminal has not gone through any form of background check, no training, and will not follow your policy. Their very choice of being a criminal means they feel they are above the law and your policies.

Unless your policy is reversed I will no longer frequent Cracker Barrel. There are many other resturants that do not restrict my Second Amendment rights. I am also a member of a forum which numbers in excess of 44,000 members, who support the right to carry. I will post your reply to this forum. The vast majority of the members feel the same as I do. That if our lawful carry is not permitted, then we will not spend our hard earned money in your stores.

Again, I ask that you reconsider this ill conceived policy and reverse it.

Thank you,

XXXXXXX XXXX

according to a guy on defensive carry they are not only against open carry but against concealed carry too.

Possibly a local mangers misinterpretation of the new No-OC position?....

how would this be posted according to Tennessee law. I have only seen reference to all guns prohibited. If they just put up a sign that says "no open carry" is that legally a carry prohibited local, if you are carrying in the manner mentioned? What if they put up a sign that said "open carry only"? Any insight here?

how would this be posted according to Tennessee law. I have only seen reference to all guns prohibited. If they just put up a sign that says "no open carry" is that legally a carry prohibited local, if you are carrying in the manner mentioned? What if they put up a sign that said "open carry only"? Any insight here?

AFAIK there is no way to post and make it an automatic crime to OC past that post in TN, like posting per 39-17-1359 does for carry period.

If they post a No-OC sign it is just a statement of policy really, that they can ask you to leave for (or for any reason really) violating and if you don't leave you could be charged with trespassing.

Same with a No-CC or OC only sign.

Edited by Fallguy
Guest Pineapple Devil

anxiously awaiting to see their response

AFAIK there is no way to post and make it an automatic crime to OC in TN, like posting per 39-17-1359 does for carry period.

If the post a No-OC sign it is just a statement of policy, that they can ask you to leave for (or for any reason really) and if you don't leave you could be charged with trespassing.

Exactly (except for the any reason part, but I get your point).

And if they have to deal with it too much, they'll ban carry completely.

Open carry, sigh...

Edited by TN-popo
Exactly (except for the any reason part, but I get your point).

And if they have to deal with it too much, they'll ban carry completely.

Open carry, sigh...

I dont open carry unless out in the woods or certain rural situations with work. I was asking simply for the legal knowlege

Does not effect me, we love Cracker Barrel and eat their often, I carry Concealed and do not want people knowing that I have a firearm on me ,the element of surprise can be an awesome thing if God forbid I ever need it

Unless the ban carry all-together it really won't affect me either.

But if only those affected petitioned business owners and politicians for change, not much would ever get done as it would be such a small percentage of those overall they wouldn't listen. Remember HCP holders are <5% of the TN population.

Yeah, policy is obviously not being implemented consistently yet in all stores/states. Neither was signage at Regions banks, WalMart policy, etc. Not unusual.

According to a taped phone conversation posted on OpenCarry to admin office, it is really ONLY about open carry, which is legal in a bunch of states in which they operate stores.

- OS

Guest tnxdshooter

Excellent question from what I read it has to be an all or nothing deal either allowed or banned altogether.

Sent from my Droid Incredible on Verizon Wireless using Tapatalk

Guest 270win

There is no point in bugging Cracker Barrel with any sort of email or we won't be able to legally carry a handgun in there. Conceal it and don't worry about it. A lot of business managers don't care about concealed handguns, but many don't like openly holstered handguns. That's just life. What people don't see/is hidden doesn't attract attention.

I dont open carry unless out in the woods or certain rural situations with work. I was asking simply for the legal knowlege

I understood your position Jack, a lot of people that I run into are confusing open carry with the right to carry (concealed) like yourself I only OC on rare occasion and generally not in public

My wife works for CB and the policy applies to OC only. The policy was in response to other quests concerns about OCers. I do not feel that this has anything to do with politics, but only the comfort of all quests. CB wants everyone to feel comfortable in their family friendly environment. No matter what we all know to be true about firearms there are many who are freaked out by the sight of a gun. CC all you want it will not be a problem. If you OC you will probably be asked to take it to your vehicle.

Edited by timcalhoun