Cracker Barrel - No Open Carry

Excellent question from what I read it has to be an all or nothing deal either allowed or banned altogether.

Sent from my Droid Incredible on Verizon Wireless using Tapatalk

It's only all or nothing as far as it being an automatic criminal offense. The AG has said a property owner can dictate the mode of carry on their property. If you don't comply with that choice you will probably be told to leave. If you don't leave, you may be charged with trespassing.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife works for CB and the policy applies to OC only. The policy was in response to other quests concerns about OCers. I do not feel that this has anything to do with politics, but only the comfort of all quests. CB wants everyone to feel comfortable in there family friendly envoronment. No matter what we all know to be true about firearms there are many who are freaked out by the sight of a gun. CC all you want it will not be a problem. If you OC you will probably be asked to take it to your vehicle.

Thanks for the information.

So it would seem if a manager is attempting to ban all carry, they have misinterpreted corporate policy.

Guest clownsdd
There is no point in bugging Cracker Barrel with any sort of email or we won't be able to legally carry a handgun in there. Conceal it and don't worry about it. A lot of business managers don't care about concealed handguns, but many don't like openly holstered handguns. That's just life. What people don't see/is hidden doesn't attract attention.

Yea, shut up conceal when there and there will be no problems

Guest kirkosaurus
Does not effect me, we love Cracker Barrel and eat their often, I carry Concealed and do not want people knowing that I have a firearm on me ,the element of surprise can be an awesome thing if God forbid I ever need it

The element of surprise is only effective as an offensive tactic. As a defensive tactic, it sucks.

Guest kirkosaurus
Exactly (except for the any reason part, but I get your point).

And if they have to deal with it too much, they'll ban carry completely.

Open carry, sigh...

Yet you as a police officer get to open carry everyday. Why do you think that is?

Guest kirkosaurus
Unless the ban carry all-together it really won't affect me either.

But if only those affected petitioned business owners and politicians for change, not much would ever get done as it would be such a small percentage of those overall they wouldn't listen. Remember HCP holders are <5% of the TN population.

Don't forget the family members of those 5%. Just because someone doesn't have a HCP doesn't mean they aren't pro 2A. I have several family members that have no desire to get a HCP but would not frequent posted places.

Edited by kirkosaurus
Guest kirkosaurus
Please reread post #5 and then try to grasp that people are quite used to seeing uniformed police with guns.

And how long do you suppose we wait to get them used to law abiding citizens carrying guns?

And how long do you suppose we wait to get them used to law abiding citizens carrying guns?

Dude, I'm not really sure why you're coming at me with this (and how being a cop has anything to do with the current topic).

I thought that I was pretty clear in post #5 concerning my personal views vs. the way it is.

Uhh, I have nothing to do with whatever society's views on open carry are.

Guest clownsdd

kirk, I apologize, but I do not understand your comments on this.

Don't forget the family members of those 5%. Just because someone doesn't have a HCP doesn't mean they aren't pro 2A. I have several family members that have no desire to get a HCP but would not frequent posted places.

True, but unfortunately still a small percentage, because remember not all 5% of HCP holders are going to agree, as evident on this board.

As far as people getting used to see others carry.... I admit I had always slightly been in the camp that if more people OCed then overtime it might become more acceptable, but something happened today to make me seriously rethink that.

I was at a Prescribed Burning class put on by the State Soil Conservation office. One of the speakers was an officer from the state Agricultural Crime Unit. He was in uniform, badge and all and armed. When the host introduced him, he mad mention of him being armed and that it "surprised" him or something like that. And sort of jokingly mentioned it almost made him uncomfortable. The host seemed like a smart enough and well educated guy.

So I thought if an otherwise intelligent person can be "disturbed" at the sight of an armed, uniformed officer......no wonder the average sheeple is disturbed at the sight of an armed stranger.

Not saying it is right or that anyone should change what they do......just that I'm not sure exposure is really going to change anyone's thought......

Guest kirkosaurus
Come again?

Yes, think about it for awhile. The element of surprise is not a good defensive tactic. How is carrying concealed gonna stop you from the initial attack? It can defend you after the attack maybe, but until you unholster your weapon you look like all the other sheeple. Unless you use other defensive tactics (like not staying in condition white, not looking vulnerable, staying out of areas where you may be attacked, etc. - all defensive tactics).

Open carrying on the other hand is a good defensive tactic.

My wife works for CB and the policy applies to OC only. The policy was in response to other quests concerns about OCers. I do not feel that this has anything to do with politics, but only the comfort of all quests. CB wants everyone to feel comfortable in their family friendly environment. No matter what we all know to be true about firearms there are many who are freaked out by the sight of a gun. CC all you want it will not be a problem. If you OC you will probably be asked to take it to your vehicle.

My sister in law also works for CB and this is what she told me, too. She said that the policy came about because of customer complaints. She further said that their newsletter stated that Cracker Barrel will not post, for now, but that OC by private citizens is strictly forbidden. From what she gathered, it sounded as if they really don't want to post but that there is always the chance they will if they keep having problems with complaints about OC. She also said that her understanding is that if someone OC's into Cracker Barrel and is asked to take it back to their vehicle, choosing to cover it with a jacket, etc. and come back in at that point is not supposed to be an option - it will be leave it in the car or eat elsewhere.

As far as people getting used to see others carry.... I admit I had always slightly been in the camp that if more people OCed then overtime it might become more acceptable, but something happened today to make me seriously rethink that.

I was at a Prescribed Burning class put on by the State Soil Conservation office. One of the speakers was an officer from the state Agricultural Crime Unit. He was in uniform, badge and all and armed. When the host introduced him, he mad mention of him being armed and that it "surprised" him or something like that. And sort of jokingly mentioned it almost made him uncomfortable. The host seemed like a smart enough and well educated guy.

So I thought if an otherwise intelligent person can be "disturbed" at the sight of an armed, uniformed officer......no wonder the average sheeple is disturbed at the sight of an armed stranger.

Not saying it is right or that anyone should change what they do......just that I'm not sure exposure is really going to change anyone's thought......

Personally, I don't think that there is any chance that people in TN would get used to seeing regular folks OC any time soon because if more people did it more complaints would end with more restrictive policies or outright prohibitive posting long before OC starting seeming 'normal'. The idea might work in other parts of the country and might even work here some day but for now there is just too much opposition. The Cracker Barrel policy is a real world example of that.

Edited by JAB
Guest kirkosaurus
Dude, I'm not really sure why you're coming at me with this (and how being a cop has anything to do with the current topic).

I thought that I was pretty clear in post #5 concerning my personal views vs. the way it is.

Uhh, I have nothing to do with whatever society's views on open carry are.

Sorry, I was mainly going by this post that appears to be your disdain for open carry:

Open carry, sigh...

And it seems to me by post #5 also that you would rather see people conceal than open carry, which I really don't understand coming from a LEO. I would think you guys would want everyone open carrying so you could see who's armed?

Guest kirkosaurus
kirk, I apologize, but I do not understand your comments on this.

He said people were used to seeing police with guns and insinuated that people are bothered by the sight of guns on average citizens so they should conceal carry. My question is how long should we wait to get people used to seeing the average citizen with a gun? I say we should start doing it now by open carrying as much as possible. The more people see polite, average looking people with holstered guns on them the quicker they will get used to it.

Guest clownsdd

Thanks, your reasoning makes sense, but I don't think you will ever convince the anti 2a's about our rights. I open carry around the house and neighborhood, aside from that, going to the store etc, I conceal.

Just my 2 cents here, but as I have had my carry permit for 10 days now, I have oc'd everyday. On the cooler temp days I casual oc'd but today I was all out. Even met a friend at the hospital today to look at a vehicle that was broke down. All kinds of ppl in the parking lot and no one really noticed. I was climbing all under the hood of a 4 wd truck with a s&w 9mm on my hip. I see the coin on both sides of the oc vs cc. I prefer to oc.

Just my 2 cents

Sorry, I was mainly going by this post that appears to be your disdain for open carry:

I don't like open carry.

My reasons...

1. Have nothing to do with being a cop.

2. Have to do with tactics, not personal rights/public perception issues.

Unless it's discussing Cracker Barrel and the issue it is causing with them, going deeper into my reasons would probably be just be a thread drift.

You could always start your own OC vs. CC thread. :up:

Edited by TN-popo
Guest 270win

TN Popo,

I have to agree with you on me personally open carrying in public places. I only open carry when going to the range or to the woods. Most of society does not carry a handgun. That's just the way it is. I'm ok with it and honestly most people are not too bright when it comes to carrying a deadly weapon in public. Also, most of society does not seem to care one way or the other about CONCEALED weapons because again what they don't see does not bother them. Now, a good bit of people are in la la land and would never notice even a person in jeans carrying a holstered gun. But then, you have the same person who when he does notice it causes trouble in a store or say is the store manager. A good bit of people are sadly bed wetters when it comes to 'scary' guns. I try to go through life low key. I know for a fact I couldn't go to some local/state govt offices, church, a nice restaurant/bar, baseball game, visit clients in Midtown of memphis, networking meetings, chamber of commerce meeting, with my gun on my belt in the open. I can do that with my gun concealed.