Cracker Barrel - No Open Carry

... Further, I appreciate that they didn't just take the easy way out and prohibit carry, period. I will support them from time to time if for that reason, only.

Well, let's don't put too many 2A angel wings on the corporation. If it were just a TN outfit, they might have simply issued gun busters all around and be done with it.

- OS

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, let's don't put too many 2A angel wings on the corporation. If it were just a TN outfit, they might have simply issued gun busters all around and be done with it.

- OS

Maybe, but that is an 'if' that we can't know for sure. I'm not suggesting that we give them the Friends of Handgun Carrier Recognition Award or anything but I still see the bottom line as them not outright prohibiting carry/hanging gunbuster signs on all their locations (TN or not - although those signs would have no legal meaning in many states) despite having received complaints.

Guest mds3d

I would say that Cracker Barrel is trying to make everyone happy. They are making it policy to ask customers to cover or leave. They could have just posted and not have to worry with confronting customers except to kick them out (or call the cops). Yes, they have offended a small group, but all policies that prohibit any action does this. I do not open carry often, but if I do I toss a light jacket or shirt in the car so I can cover if I am asked to.

My family owns a small business and while we are very gun friendly, I respect the right of businesses to make rules that govern their property. When we posted No Smoking signs we encountered a similar response in our customers, but we felt like we were making a good decision. Many arguments made against any kind of posting could be made against "No Smoking" signs or "No shoes, no shirts, no service" signs. (Our business has the former but not the latter) Yes, the RKBA is protected by the constitution, but in general the constitution only protects against oppression by the government, not restrictions by private property owners. Even anti-discrimination laws only apply to certain industries.

I wish all business would be gun-friendly, but that will always be wishful thinking. At most I hope Tennessee will see the light and decriminalize "walking past a sign."